Page 20 of 96 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Teams

Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    Tricky decision for Ogier. M-Sport havent let him down despite his late arrival for 2017.
    And what are his factory options -
    Hyundai seem settled with TN as No.1;
    Toyota/Makinen happy with with his man Latvala (who surely wont want him as a team-mate again);
    and Citroen who are in disarray with a car that's still not right yet.
    Do you really believe Latvala has a say about Ogier going or not to Toyota? Any manu that wants to become WRC champ will be looking for Ogier, because he’s really a game changer and letting another manu to have him in the squad is a hell of a disadvantage.

On Citroen case what puzzles me is this Loeb reappearance; is the anti Ogier lobby still active inside Citroen? It’d be a waste, and a shame, if Matton doesn’t, at least, tries to sign Ogier.
    Last edited by Rally Power; 26th July 2017 at 22:55.
    Rally addict since 1982

2. Likes: pantealex (31st July 2017),WRC1 (27th July 2017)
    Liked 144 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Power View Post
    Do you really believe Latvala has a say about Ogier going or not to Toyota? Any manu that wants to become WRC champ will be looking for Ogier, because he’s really a game changer and letting another manu to have him in the squad is a hell of a disadvantage.

On Citroen case what puzzles me is this Loeb reappearance; is the anti Ogier lobby still active inside Citroen? It’d be a waste, and a shame, if Matton doesn’t, at least, tries to sign Ogier.
    Tell you what....It's a hell of an interesting situation regarding Ogier and Toyota. It appears that the culture inside Toyota Gazoo Racing is golden. Do you screw with that? Certainly, signing Ogier would upset the Jari-Matti apple cart? I think it is fair to say that Toyota has had a better year than expected. Momentum into '18 could be significant, but if that culture erodes....Don't know....I think I would like to see Latvala, Lappi, and Tanak.

4. Likes: pantealex (31st July 2017)
    Liked 1,474 Times in 573 Posts
    I just don't see Ogier in a Toyota. I can't say why, but don't see it happen.

Liked 430 Times in 227 Posts
    Matton IS the anti Ogier guy. That's why they ousted Quesnel and put him in charge in the first place...

Liked 9,345 Times in 4,963 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Power View Post

I said Latvala wouldnt be happy, not that he has a say.

As others have stated, Toyota seem in a good place so why upset it. And Makinen chose Latvala and Ogier had turned them down. I also cant see him going there now.

Liked 5,552 Times in 2,296 Posts
    Ogier is “condemned” to stay in M-Sport, with Ford or big sponsor or not... Hyundai don’t have place to him, Citroën no way to he go there and Toyota, well big Ego Tommi and Ogier not match. More, Ogier to Toyota would “kill” good moment of Latvala.

Liked 3,791 Times in 1,979 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal the 2nd View Post
    The slightly bizarre treatment that Ogier received when he went to test the Yaris wont see him in that team any time soon...
    Tinfoil hat on:

You mean that Tommi actually didn't want him there and only gave him a test because Toyota wanted it and to make sure he does not accept he gave him car with bad/not ready setup for the road? (the vid did look tragic)

Interesting idea.

10. Likes: pantealex (31st July 2017)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    I said Latvala wouldnt be happy, not that he has a say.
    As others have stated, Toyota seem in a good place so why upset it. And Makinen chose Latvala and Ogier had turned them down. I also cant see him going there now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre Oliveira View Post
    Ogier is “condemned” to stay in M-Sport, with Ford or big sponsor or not... Hyundai don’t have place to him, Citroën no way to he go there and Toyota, well big Ego Tommi and Ogier not match. More, Ogier to Toyota would “kill” good moment of Latvala.
    Guys, I’m not saying a Toyota/Ogier deal will happen, just that it doesn’t make sense to discard it because it’d possibly ruin Toyota’s drivers ‘harmony’...winning team managers always try to have the best resources available and Makinen doesn’t seem to be an exception. ’86 cames to mind: Kankkunen beat Allen in a quite stressful way for Allen and Lancia, but that didn’t restrained Fiorio to sign KKK alongside Allen the next year.

Time will tell, but to think that Ogier has no alternatives to MSport seems more like a wishful thinking exercise from Ford fans than anything else.

Btw, about the ‘ego sizing’, can anyone honestly say that Wilson has a smaller ego than Makinen?
    Rally addict since 1982

12. Likes: Simmi (27th July 2017)
    Liked 5,552 Times in 2,296 Posts
    Yes! Mr Wilson put Sébastien Ogier in altar.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Oliveira View Post
    Yes! Mr Wilson put Sébastien Ogier in altar.
    It's never too late to became an Ogier believer...maybe Makinen also gets converted!
    Rally addict since 1982