Page 31 of 96 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Teams

Liked 216 Times in 105 Posts
    Didn't Sordo say if he wasn't competitive he would retire? Shouldn't someone be asking him if he feels competitive? I wonder if perhaps his plan was to retire on a high, after doing well at Germany this year? Of course, this is all conjecture.

As for Sunninen, he performed well on one rally, although got incredibly lucky to not DNF on the last day. I am not sure that's enough for a factory seat? Especially when you follow it up with such a poor performance at Germany? Maybe he might get lucky and get a Dmack seat, but unless he has a lot of money behind him (does he?) surely he won't get a main seat anywhere?

Liked 2,276 Times in 1,070 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Munkvy View Post
    Didn't Sordo say if he wasn't competitive he would retire? Shouldn't someone be asking him if he feels competitive? I wonder if perhaps his plan was to retire on a high, after doing well at Germany this year? Of course, this is all conjecture.

As for Sunninen, he performed well on one rally, although got incredibly lucky to not DNF on the last day. I am not sure that's enough for a factory seat? Especially when you follow it up with such a poor performance at Germany? Maybe he might get lucky and get a Dmack seat, but unless he has a lot of money behind him (does he?) surely he won't get a main seat anywhere?
    If Ogier goes to Citroen (very likely) and Tanak to Toyota (likely), then Suninen could definitely find himself with a seat at Msport.

Sordo could well have his contract bought out if Hyundai want to sign Mikkelsen (and can't run a 4th car), but imo it would be harsh on Sordo this year as it's Paddon's horrible form that has cost the team the manufacturers title, not Sordo. Sordo has done what he always does, rarely trouble the top places and score pts on most rounds.

Paddon needs a strong end to the season to give him some confidence going into 2018, because he can't afford another year like this one. Neuville lost his mojo for a while in similar fashion, but he bounced back and repaid Hyundai's faith by becoming a title challenger and their undisputed main driver. Paddon's form since that superb win in Argentina is now a big worry.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

3. Likes: Allez Andruet (22nd August 2017),steve.mandzij (22nd August 2017)
    Liked 2,195 Times in 1,078 Posts
    As for Sunninen, he performed well on one rally
    Poland or Finland ?

I think he did well in both and those are his only rallies with WRC in his career. He has more points than Lefebvre or Östberg and next to Meeke...
    Maybe he is not ready for full season but almost ready for sure

Suninen (and K.Rovanperä) have Timo Jouhki as manager, so money is not problem.
    "quattro best 4wd rallycar ever"

5. Likes: AnttiL (22nd August 2017),jparker (22nd August 2017)
    Liked 2,262 Times in 893 Posts
    As for Suninen, he performed well on one rally, although got incredibly lucky to not DNF on the last day. I am not sure that's enough for a factory seat? Especially when you follow it up with such a poor performance at Germany? Maybe he might get lucky and get a Dmack seat, but unless he has a lot of money behind him (does he?) surely he won't get a main seat anywhere?
    Mate he's had literally two starts in a WRC car and was setting fastest stage times immediately with scant testing. Teams would be crazy not to be taking a look at him for the future.
    RS Motorsport Media - Follow me on Instagram: rsmotorsportmedia

7. Likes: andyone (28th August 2017),AnttiL (22nd August 2017),er88 (22nd August 2017),jparker (22nd August 2017),pantealex (22nd August 2017)
    Liked 3,795 Times in 1,982 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
    Mate he's had literally two starts in a WRC car and was setting fastest stage times immediately with scant testing. Teams would be crazy not to be taking a look at him for the future.
    Yes and before as well as after that he was 3-4th fastest R5...

Sure look at him for the future, but full season in WRC really can come too early, especially if it's not a part of multi-year effort like for example Ogier had at Citroen.
    Better come and stay later than come on "temporary" financing and drop down like so many others with possibly uncertain future or lost 2-3 years. Examples: Hirvonen (same manager as Suninen), Tanak, Evans, Camilli...and these are only the examples that made it back or are recent, those that did not made it back are mostly forgotten.

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Yeah it's true that Suninen is still rather inexperienced, exactly two years ago he had just had his first rally in an R5 car and was still doing part of the year in an R3 car. And he's only 23 as well, a full year with R5 learning the rallies wouldn't do bad, but will the team bosses remember him next year anymore?

Also, regarding his results in WRC2, he's fighting against Skoda works team on his own budget with most likely less testing, and the Fiesta is not as good as the Fabia. But he started his season with three second places, not bad at all...

Liked 216 Times in 105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
    Yet the very next event he gets trounced by Camilli...? I feel he is too inconsistent to warrant a full time drive based on his results. I am not disputing he has shown some flashes of greatness however.

Liked 1,835 Times in 710 Posts
    Yet the very next event he gets trounced by Camilli...? I feel he is too inconsistent to warrant a full time drive based on his results. I am not disputing he has shown some flashes of greatness however.
    That's a fair point he may need more time in the R5 to mature with occasional WRC outings instead of a full season drive.

12. Likes: pantealex (22nd August 2017)
    Liked 846 Times in 407 Posts
    I said this a few months ago and I don't take it back, Camilli has really improved this year. His R5 results have been impressive.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

14. Likes: racerx1979 (22nd August 2017)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve.mandzij View Post
    I said this a few months ago and I don't take it back, Camilli has really improved this year. His R5 results have been impressive.
    The beginning of the season wasn't impressive, but after Sardegna he has been good.

16. Likes: pantealex (22nd August 2017),racerx1979 (22nd August 2017),steve.mandzij (22nd August 2017)