Page 39 of 96 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Teams

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Another interesting factor was posed by the Absolute Rally podcast. If Ogier goes to Citroen, will he hang on to the massive Red Bull sponsorship like at VW and M-Sport? And how would that fit in with Abu Dhabi? Would it just give Citroen more budget or would Qassimi take Abu Dhabi money to M-Sport?

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Isn't Red Bull just his personal sponsor? Not sure what the problem would be.

3. Likes: pantealex (8th September 2017)
    Liked 2,195 Times in 1,078 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    1. Ford team returns
    I don't see any changes happening to the current seats, except that Toyota may want to exchange Hänninen for Suninen. But it would be a risk with having two rather inexperienced drivers in the same team.

2. Ford team returns, but Tänak still goes to Toyota
    This way, I would replace Tänak with Suninen, and Hänninen is left without a seat.

3. No Ford return, Tänak stays, Ogier goes to Citroen
    Lefebvre is put aside to drive the C3 R5, Suninen sits in the DMack car with Evans and Tänak in the M-Sport cars. Hänninen gets to stay at Toyota.

4. No Ford return, Tänak goes to Toyota and Ogier goes to Citroen
    1. Not going to happen

2. Possible

3. Also not true

4. This is also possible but I don´t want it to happen.

5. Ogier and Tänak to Toyota, my personal favourite

6. No Ford return, Tänak goes to Toyota and Ogier stays M-Sport

For those original 4 options my answer is 2.
    and reserve answer is 6. Number 5 maybe only my dream
    Last edited by pantealex; 8th September 2017 at 09:06.
    "quattro best 4wd rallycar ever"

Quote Originally Posted by pantealex View Post
    5. Ogier and Tänak to Toyota, my personal favourite
    Would you drop Latvala or Lappi?
    6. No Ford return, Tänak goes to Toyota and Ogier stays M-Sport
    Ogier has said he wants to be at a factory team. And Wilson has said he cannot afford another 2017 season. Even if they got a big sponsor to fund Ogier's salary for 2018, they would still need more funds to further develop the car.
    Last edited by AnttiL; 8th September 2017 at 09:29.

Liked 3,786 Times in 1,977 Posts
    As numerous times before I am not in on the Suninen hype just yet.

- for money reasons it's probably more likely Camilli drives at M-Sport (but who knows how much Joukhi can bring for Suninen)
    - for sporting reasons Tidemand is just as likely

It is entirely possible to get to WRC too early.

Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    for money reasons it's probably more likely Camilli drives at M-Sport).
    What does this mean? I thought Camilli was Wilson's "investment of the future" and his contract is ending at the end of 2017. His car has no external sponsor decals.

Liked 52 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    What does this mean? I thought Camilli was Wilson's "investment of the future" and his contract is ending at the end of 2017. His car has no external sponsor decals.
    Camilli definitely has money. Apparently a backer in Monaco.

My bet is there won't be a Ford return, Ogier will go to Citroen, Tanak will go to Toyota.

It leaves MSport in a bit of bother as there aren't many rally winning drivers available. Evans and Ostberg are definitely reliable finishers but not going to win any titles with that line-up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Liked 2,261 Times in 892 Posts
    Again I just don't think there's much point speculating too much until we know 3 vs 4 cars. That literally changes everything.

I've seen a few people naturally assuming Paddon and Sordo share a car. Do you think Paddon will accept having to share a car for a season? I don't see that happening at all - but again, a fourth car solves everything.

Do people think that Loeb would still do 3-4 rallies at Citroen if Ogier is there? To what extent has time healed their relationship, and also, would Citroen still need that PR boost if they had Ogier and a #1 on the door?
    RS Motorsport Media - Follow me on Instagram: rsmotorsportmedia

Quote Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
    Again I just don't think there's much point speculating too much until we know 3 vs 4 cars. That literally changes everything.
    It doesn't really change that much anymore. Like said, Hyundai has four drivers. M-Sport has been regularly showing up with 4-5 Fiestas even though not all of them have been manu points scorers. Toyota has Hänninen and Citroen Lefebvre to put in the fourth car or to put aside if the rules allow only three cars.

I've seen a few people naturally assuming Paddon and Sordo share a car. Do you think Paddon will accept having to share a car for a season?
    What other options does he have? Leave and go to New Zealand to have fun in an AP4 car? Get a budget for an M-Sport Fiesta?

Of course sharing the car could mean occasional four car outings in selected events, but still no full season for either Sordo nor Paddon.

Do people think that Loeb would still do 3-4 rallies at Citroen if Ogier is there? To what extent has time healed their relationship, and also, would Citroen still need that PR boost if they had Ogier and a #1 on the door?
    Also interesting question considering it's nowhere near confirmed that Loeb would do any competitive WRC rallies anymore. But if he will, I don't think Citroen finds a problem with that, as it will still be a big PR boost even if Ogier is driving for them.
    Last edited by AnttiL; 8th September 2017 at 11:15.

11. Likes: Rally Power (8th September 2017)
    Liked 183 Times in 122 Posts
    Hyundai should wake up and realise they need an official r5 asia pacific team (with hankook rally tyres http://www.hankookmotorsport.com/) to take some of the attention that the skoda mrf team gets for winning all the time.
    I think hyundai might find it might take at least a season to gain the experience of the asia pacific rounds to compete with settings, conditions, logisitics etc
    http://dealers.skoda-auto.com/663/en-IN skoda monte carlo etc
    https://youtu.be/M-bQyZ7ZpNA mfr tyre tv ad

Paddon and reeves and an asian driver for the local fans. run the team out of aus where there are engineering facilities.
    Last edited by Zeakiwi; 8th September 2017 at 12:36.

13. Likes: electroliquid (8th September 2017),Rally Hokkaido (9th September 2017),tommeke_B (8th September 2017)