Page 52 of 96 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Teams

Liked 833 Times in 405 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarmop View Post
    Tänak and Latvala have been very consistent and fast this year. If not so anxious for that Rally Poland win instead of 2. place, failed PS win in Sweden, things would be quite nice for Tänak. Latvala would be also close if not for the mech. issues...Neuville lost his championship in Spain.
    According to my calculations if Latvala had finished 1st in Finland, 2nd in Poland and 6th in Germany and Spain, scoring two PS points in each, he'd be trailing Ogier by 8 points. He's my number one title challenger for next year.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

2. Likes: AnttiL (9th October 2017)
    Liked 945 Times in 513 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintexmemory View Post
    Neuville lost his championship on the Monte.... and by extension, Ogier won his!
    What people appear to overlook is that where one of the challengers might have done well that would normally have been at the expense of other challengers, not the champ.
    Umm, they all have "benefitted" from eachothers mistakes and that is part of (motor)sport. Ogier`s best examples are RMC, Sweden and Poland, in these cases he has won or claimed P3. Anyway, there`s a clear indicator now, that even 2 events before the end there is a mathemathical chance that Tänak or Neuville can get the title (yes, very slim, but it is there), whereas in last years things have been clear much before, that he is the champion...Spain 2016 for example.
    Last edited by Tarmop; 9th October 2017 at 17:32.

4. Likes: steve.mandzij (9th October 2017)
    Liked 63 Times in 21 Posts
    Tanak is going to Toyota should be announced in the coming days! Was told by a very reliable source on the way home from Spain this morning

6. Likes: Andre Oliveira (9th October 2017),AnttiL (9th October 2017),EstWRC (9th October 2017),pantealex (10th October 2017),racerx1979 (9th October 2017),steve.mandzij (9th October 2017)
    Liked 3,786 Times in 1,977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintexmemory View Post
    If there are 3 competitive cars with Meeke, Neuville, Mikkelsen, Tanak, Latvala and Lappi all capable of winning on any given day which of these drivers will put together enough second and third places to gain points where one driver is winning? Which of these drivers has ever indicated they can handle the pressure of expectation? Which of these will be so superior under all conditions that they will win more than 4 events in the season. Yes Ogier had a poor run (unusual for him) but was anyone really able to capitalise by being the dominant force at that time?

a) you assume that all 3 cars are capable of winning on any given day.. that is never really the case. Citroen and Hyundai for example were clearly incapable of winning in Finland. Toyota was clearly incapable of winning in Mexico etc..

b) as others did you can use Tanak in same car as reference and the difference is rather minimal this year

Liked 2,264 Times in 944 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    a) you assume that all 3 cars are capable of winning on any given day.. that is never really the case. Citroen and Hyundai for example were clearly incapable of winning in Finland. Toyota was clearly incapable of winning in Mexico etc..

b) as others did you can use Tanak in same car as reference and the difference is rather minimal this year
    a) So the cars were not capable to win all events. That's right Guess who is the ONLY one capable to get 'the most out from each event?
    b) A minimal difference means that the championship is decided 3 events before finish?

9. Likes: Mintexmemory (10th October 2017)
    Liked 784 Times in 390 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelly View Post
    Tanak is going to Toyota should be announced in the coming days! Was told by a very reliable source on the way home from Spain this morning
    What I've been saying all along...

11. Likes: AnttiL (10th October 2017),pantealex (10th October 2017),steve.mandzij (9th October 2017)
    Liked 3,786 Times in 1,977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AL14 View Post
    a) So the cars were not capable to win all events. That's right Guess who is the ONLY one capable to get 'the most out from each event?
    b) A minimal difference means that the championship is decided 3 events before finish?
    a) If "the most" for the car is 5-6th place in every event it doesn't matter much that the driver can achieve it in. Just after Finland people were writing Ogier off and Neuville was actually leading... and now Neuville gets two zeros and suddenly Ogier is the god almighty. I cheer on Ogier this year, but lets keep things real.

b) 1 DNF (technical/crash) and suddenly it's not decided at all. Anyway the point is that Tanak in same car with 3 crashes and 2 rally wins is not far behind shows that Seb is beatable.

But clearly this is pointless cause you have decided who is the ONLY one.

13. Likes: racerx1979 (10th October 2017)
    Liked 2,264 Times in 944 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    a) If "the most" for the car is 5-6th place in every event it doesn't matter much that the driver can achieve it in. Just after Finland people were writing Ogier off and Neuville was actually leading... and now Neuville gets two zeros and suddenly Ogier is the god almighty. I cheer on Ogier this year, but lets keep things real.

b) 1 DNF (technical/crash) and suddenly it's not decided at all. Anyway the point is that Tanak in same car with 3 crashes and 2 rally wins is not far behind shows that Seb is beatable.

But clearly this is pointless cause you have decided who is the ONLY one.

a) What championship have you watched? Ogier has always been the best, even after Finland to me. The "people" that were writing Ogier off are result oriented people and I am not among them . Ogier is not suddenly the god, he is dominating since 2013 and this year despite the difficulties has been capable to bring the car home getting the most from each event, contrary to his opponents that have not been able to do it. Like Neuville, that crashed in SSS while giving himself 80% to win championship. These are "real" things as well.

b) Ogier is human and beatable for sure but you said to keep things real and then you write an hypotesis. At the moment he is still the best. I hope Tanak will continue improving but he has to do it otherwise he is not yet at that level.
    Last edited by AL14; 10th October 2017 at 08:48.

15. Likes: sonnybobiche (10th October 2017)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    https://twitter.com/Becsywecsy/statu...44496078364672

Is this the week for a driver announcement in #WRC? Eyes peeled everyone, I think something is expected ��

17. Likes: pantealex (10th October 2017)
    Liked 2,275 Times in 1,069 Posts
    No doubt Ott has landed a huge contract but I'm surprised he agreed to this move so early. The deal has been done for a while now if the rumours are correct, which I find a bit strange considering everything Malcolm has done for him. Don't know why he couldn't have waited a month or two longer, even just up to Spain/Wales to give Malcolm every chance to get Ford back or a title sponsor.

I also hope this doesn't mirror Duvals move to Citroen from Ford, or Martin's move to Peugeot. Both went for the money and lure of a team with a bigger budget, but both found it very difficult adjusting to a new car and finding the same pace they had. Mikko moving to Citroen was a similar case and Jari to VW slightly less so, but he still lost quite a bit of his raw speed for the first year especially. Drivers do find it difficult after leaving Ford/ Msport, that's just a historical fact. I hope it will be different for Ott because no doubt this season has been a huge step forward for him, in every single aspect. He's been brilliant.

Surely with Martin being Tanaks mentor somewhat, they've talked this through - the positives and the negatives. Given Otts age, he's got time on his side and I would have recommended to stay at Msport for one more season - even without the huge finance (if Malcolm can't get anything sorted). It's *his* car and he'd go into next season as maybe a title favourite (especially if seb goes to Citroen). Now he's lost that advantage and drivers like Jari and Neuville will start next season in cars that they are used to, and have fine tuned to their driving style. Even worse for Ott's championship hopes would be Seb staying at Msport, and starting a new season in the same car and building on his already great form.

The big contract for multiple years, the lure of being part of a big manufacturer team, and being based in Finland/ Estonia obviously made it too hard to resist and i can clearly see why he decided to go for it, but I just think he could have waited another year for this move.
    Stay at Msport and have a big go for the title, then next year if the development slows up or there's still no signs of extra budget, Ott would not only have the option of Toyota for 2019, but Citroen and Hyundai as well (considering both of those teams would have multiple drivers out of contract).

Let's hope he has no trouble adapting to the Yaris and continues his upward trajectory though, because there's no doubt he's capable of being a championship winner. He has the speed now on all surfaces and the consistency as well. Toyota have exceeded a lot of expectations this year and the car is fast, but is quite a bit behind the Fiesta in terms of reliability and being good on all surfaces - the Yaris needs a bit of work on rougher gravel rallies.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

19. Likes: mknight (10th October 2017)