Page 7 of 96 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Teams

Liked 388 Times in 194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Watson View Post
    Sources?
    Why would they? They have a world champion driving 'their' car leading the championship, for very little outlay as m sport are running the cars.
    Little or no cost to ford but they can take all the credit.
    Would ford come back just to keep Ogier in the car, I doubt it. Very few people that aren't interested in rally, which is a lot of people, wouldn't have a clue who Sebastian Ogier is.

Liked 1,170 Times in 791 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm75 View Post
    Very few people that aren't interested in rally, which is a lot of people, wouldn't have a clue who Sebastian Ogier is.
    They will have a clue Ford is winning WRC though, and that's the marketing purpose.
    "With that car, your brain can actually never keep up"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4IRMYuE1hI

Quote Originally Posted by stefanvv View Post
    They will have a clue Ford is winning WRC though, and that's the marketing purpose.
    Exactly my point. Why would ford spend millions when someone is doing it for them.

The only way I see ford coming back is if Malcome and Seb suggest to Ford big wigs that they maybe have a little chat with Volkswagen about running Polos next year. It would probably never happen, but then again they do run Bentley GT programme, and who owns Bentley!

Liked 377 Times in 187 Posts
    Why would they? They have a world champion driving 'their' car leading the championship, for very little outlay as m sport are running the cars.
    Little or no cost to ford but they can take all the credit.
    Would ford come back just to keep Ogier in the car, I doubt it. Very few people that aren't interested in rally, which is a lot of people, wouldn't have a clue who Sebastian Ogier is.
    So Toyota, Citroen and Hyundai are just doing the WRC for a goof?

It's not just about Ogier, it's also for car development. If they don't come back it will all turn sour next year and the 'free publicity' will be gone. We have been talking about this for pages now.

5. Likes: steve.mandzij (20th June 2017)
    Liked 377 Times in 187 Posts

The only way I see ford coming back is if Malcome and Seb suggest to Ford big wigs that they maybe have a little chat with Volkswagen about running Polos next year. It would probably never happen, but then again they do run Bentley GT programme, and who owns Bentley!
    For the record Ford does spend some money on M-Sport already and help with the development. They are tied together to a degree.

Are you suggesting Wilson will threaten them to run Polos? Man you talk more nonsense than jparker.

Liked 945 Times in 513 Posts
    In Europe, where rallying is quite popular (and so are small cheaps cars which Yaris, Polo, Fiesta, i20 etc are), it would be quite a nice way to advertise ones products. For a big company it`s not such a big amount of money and Ogier isn`t after a huge salary (probably his sponsors pay him enough) but a title-winning car.

Quote Originally Posted by Watson View Post
    For the record Ford does spend some money on M-Sport already and help with the development. They are tied together to a degree.

Are you suggesting Wilson will threaten them to run Polos? Man you talk more nonsense than jparker.
    No, I'm not suggesting Wilson would threaten Ford, just that I don't see ford coming back unless m sport looked like they were going to pull the plug. Maybe playing devils advocate to a degree, but no, I'm not suggesting that is what Wilson would do.

As for your comment about Toyota, Hyundai, and Citroen in wrc for a goof, they haven't got a company with as high profile as m sport doing all the hard work, well no, they have their own divisions . . . Ok, maybe a little different with Makinen and Toyota, but surely you can work out what I'm getting at.

Liked 1,829 Times in 707 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Power View Post
    Not quite so. The problem with the ‘17 Polo was homologation rules. In order to be homologated a WRC car must be run on a 2 car team for a whole season (the team can be private, as long it's designated by the manu). The first option (Jipocar running Ogier and Prokop) would be valid but apparently it failed when Al Attiyah got in the middle, delaying the project and interfering with Ogier's chossing window. Mikkelsen's project failed because it was a one car project to be entered on selected events and the other teams didn't consent that kind of rules exception. Anyway, a new street Polo is going to be launch in September. It makes even harder to believe that VW will allow private teams to run a car based on their old model.

Btw, just a tip on Ogier future: can the 'America First' spirit, that's been developed in the US under the new administration (it'd be nice to hear javanpuura about this) and followed by many big corps (GM selling Opel isn't a coincidence), affect Ford's decision to enter WRC?
    Yes you are correct, I was thinking of the option of a team running two cars for the whole season. I wasn't specific enough but I meant it would be possible even without other manu's approval as long as that someone respects the rules.

Liked 945 Times in 513 Posts
    All the hard work would still be done by M-Sport, question is in money. As for M-Sport pulling the plug, Wilson has started talking about it...not directly, but still, he has said quite many times that they are doing it over their limits and with his personal money and he has no idea what happens next year. He even mentioned that he wanted to win WDC before leaving. This could mean him stepping down and delegating others, maybe Wilson jr. to do all the work/travelling across the world or maybe a hint that this could be the very last season for M-Sport, probably/hopefully not the last.
    Last edited by Tarmop; 13th June 2017 at 21:55.

Liked 52 Times in 28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    Monte - Ogier faster
    Sweden - Tanak faster
    Mexico - Ogier faster
    Corsica - Ogier faster
    Argentina - Tanak faster
    Portugal - not taking cleaning on first day into account they had very similar speed
    Sardinia - Tanak faster, but Ogier had bad road position both Friday and Saturday

So Tanak was clearly faster 2-3 times, Ogier 3 times. At best this is a draw.
    Your point TNX for analysis.

12. Likes: mknight (13th June 2017)