Page 54 of 71 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Teams

Liked 192 Times in 92 Posts
    Well at least we have some gossip. The Tanak deal was solidified in Spain and Hanninen was dropped unless they run a 4th car. He is said to still do some testing work. Hence why he was emotional at the end of the stage. If that really is the case I sure hope the guy drives his ass off for the next two rallies.

Also could it be that Tanak knows he might be impaired if Ogier stays which seems to be the case and the team is running on a thin budget due to his staying. I wouldn’t want to be in that situation. I would leave to Toyota as well.

Liked 840 Times in 402 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by racerx1979 View Post
    Also could it be that Tanak knows he might be impaired if Ogier stays which seems to be the case and the team is running on a thin budget due to his staying. I wouldn’t want to be in that situation. I would leave to Toyota as well.
    There was the earlier rumor that Toyota would have to pay M-Sport a "transfer penalty" of Tänak, that would help them keep Ogier, in addition to having less expensive drivers in the team.

Liked 579 Times in 319 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by er88 View Post
    The deal has been done for a while now if the rumours are correct, which I find a bit strange considering everything Malcolm has done for him. Don't know why he couldn't have waited a month or two longer, even just up to Spain/Wales to give Malcolm every chance to get Ford back or a title sponsor.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    If this is true it indicates to me that Ogier is a strong possibility to stay at M-Sport as No1 driver. Ott is taking the gamble that equal status in the 'improved' Yaris will give him a better shot at the title than No2 to Seb.
    Kris Meeke on Fire -VW so terrified they quit!

Liked 3,253 Times in 1,780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    There was the earlier rumor that Toyota would have to pay M-Sport a "transfer penalty" of Tänak, that would help them keep Ogier, in addition to having less expensive drivers in the team.
    That would be a good compromise to keep Ogier.

Also M-Sport could then concentrate just on him for the driver's title and forget about fighting the factory team's for the Manufacturer's.

Liked 333 Times in 160 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    That would be a good compromise to keep Ogier.

Also M-Sport could then concentrate just on him for the driver's title and forget about fighting the factory team's for the Manufacturer's.
    Yeah there would be more finance spare if they don't have to pay for both Ogier and Tanak next year, but I don't buy into this rumoured "transfer penalty". How can you have that when Ott's contract is up and he's free to speak to any team he wants? It's not like Toyota have to buy out his existing contract that has x number of years left to run...

Last edited by er88; 10th October 2017 at 10:38.

Liked 3,253 Times in 1,780 Posts
    Maybe Tanak has insisted on a payment to M-Sport as part of the deal..

Quote Originally Posted by er88 View Post
    Yeah there would be more finance spare if they don't have to pay for both Ogier and Tanak next year, but I don't buy into this rumoured "transfer penalty". How can you have that when Ott's contract is up and he's free to speak to any team he wants? It's not like Toyota have to buy out his existing contract that has x number of years left to run...

I agree about the "transfer penalty". Contract is up and Ott is a free to do whatever the fu@k he wants

8. Likes: er88 (10th October 2017)
    Liked 93 Times in 59 Posts
    Tanak to Toyota would be a logical step IMO as don't see Ott hanging around in the championship for more than a couple of years a la Rosberg. Family seems very important to him and with the Estonian base that Toyota are setting up the chance for him to establish his own team linked with Toyota to bring on other Estonian drivers will allow him to build a legacy like MM has helped him.

Liked 1,490 Times in 493 Posts
    So if you switch to a new employer, you ask him to pay something to your former employer because you like him?

11. Likes: AnttiL (10th October 2017),EightGear (10th October 2017),er88 (10th October 2017),pantealex (10th October 2017),sonnybobiche (10th October 2017)
    There is not doubt Tanak feels bad about leaving Malcom since they have been together for a long time and Malcom has always supported and believed in Ott. But he has to do what is best for him and his family at the end of the day and I'm sure he knows that if Malcom had a choice he would choose Ogier over Ott.