Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    By the way, one random thought: there was a radio message from Fernando at one point that was something like "the engine power is embarrassing in this mode". Did he turn it up after that?
    Excellent question. I haven't seen that addressed in the F1 press yet.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior View Post
    Excellent question. I haven't seen that addressed in the F1 press yet.
    I'm guessing the mode Alonso was complaining about was a fuel saving mode, so if he'd turned it up when he shouldn't then he'd have run out of fuel, or failed scrutineering for having used more than 100kg.
    But on the other hand if Fernando wants a Mercedes behind him next season, then switching the Honda to a "she cannae take any more cap'n" mode certainly helps that case.

Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    I'm guessing the mode Alonso was complaining about was a fuel saving mode, so if he'd turned it up when he shouldn't then he'd have run out of fuel, or failed scrutineering for having used more than 100kg.
    But on the other hand if Fernando wants a Mercedes behind him next season, then switching the Honda to a "she cannae take any more cap'n" mode certainly helps that case.
    That is a fair point, but I cannot see Mercedes taking on F1's greatest prima donna when they've got two drivers who are performing very well at the moment. We all know how talented Hamilton is and Bottas is exceeding expectations, so why would they let any of them go?

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N4D13 View Post
    That is a fair point, but I cannot see Mercedes taking on F1's greatest prima donna when they've got two drivers who are performing very well at the moment. We all know how talented Hamilton is and Bottas is exceeding expectations, so why would they let any of them go?
    I meant McLaren switching to Mercedes engine supply, rather than Alonso moving to the Mercedes team.

5. Likes: N4D13 (15th June 2017)
    Liked 660 Times in 460 Posts
    An overall interesting race, with Canada once again showing some brake weakness in cars. This time it was Ferrari, but quite possible it impacted other teams to a lesser extent.

Awesome job by Lewis with complete domination and staying out front in clean air, and from the looks of thing just controlling what was an easy looking win. Same for Bottas, even though he couldn't give Lewis any challenge.

From Ricciardo on back, they were all fighting hard for the positions. Seb made the best of his first turn misfortune and charged through the pack, even if that dive in on Ocon was shaky at best IMO. Kimi had a solid race and showed that the extra stop could work, until brake issues slowed down his charge.

Perez.... I'm still on the fence as to what I really think. FI made the mistake of not making a clear team order, and Sergio stayed in place. I really think he should have moved over even if the team was vague. I think Ocon had the pace to challenge for a podium, and the team could surely use one at this point. I still enjoyed the racing and Ocon showed that he would not take both cars out with a do or die move on his team mate.

As usual, Canada produces retirements.

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Jones View Post
    Merc 1-2? I think they are the fastest and Lewis won his first race here (correct?).
    I think at least four teams will see one driver suffer a brake failure.
    McLaren is just a failure so they don't count.
    It's been a while since anyone hit the wall of Champions.... was Hulkenburg the last?
    You called that well didn't you. Mercedes one two. Vettel would be kicking himself right now. It was another Redbull pilot that gave him grief. I wonder if he complained to Helmut?
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare