Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Liked 54 Times in 41 Posts
    The problem was, Kimi got stuck behind lapped cars when he came out of the pits.
    "Wives live longer than husbands, because they are not married to women" Colin Mochrie - "Whose Line is it anyway?" - The funniest TV show on earth!

Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_swiss View Post
    The problem was, Kimi got stuck behind lapped cars when he came out of the pits.
    Vettel needed this, a bunch of very quick laps and a slightly slow stop for Raikkonen to only just come out of the pits ahead. But some ignore all that and say Ferrari screwed him over. It's much more fun that way!
    Forza Ferrari!!

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    I think this Monaco grandprix highlights why l admire Ferrari as team but would never be a Ferrari fan. The main difference between the Vettel and Raikonen strategies were that Kimi was pitted into traffic and Vettel was not. On a track like Monaco where passing lapped cars is time costly, it is hard not to see that Ferrari favored Vettel to win the race. I don't buy the claim that they did not know it would turn out as it did. That would be an open acceptance that they have an idiot for a strategist.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 30th May 2017 at 23:27.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

4. Likes: Mia 01 (30th May 2017),truefan72 (5th June 2017)
    Liked 544 Times in 302 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    I think this Monaco grandprix highlights why l admire Ferrari as team but would never be a Ferrari fan. What the main difference between the Vettel and Raikonen strategies were that Kimi was pitted into traffic and Vettel was not. On a track like Monaco where passing lapped cars is time costly, it is hard not to see that Ferrari favored Vettel to win the race. I don't buy the claim that they did not know it would turn out as it did. That would be an open acceptance that the have an idiot of a strategist.
    Oh, they knew what they were doing. Vettel was always going to be faster in the race, but no way could he have made those laps he did if there was traffic in front of him, it's Monaco after all.

6. Likes: Mia 01 (30th May 2017)
    Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    Despite being undeniable I'm going to do just that. Raikkonen simply wasn't on Vettel's pace which was pretty obvious by Vettel going from 1.17s behind Raikkonen to 1.15s in clear air. Even with that pace Vettel only managed to leave the pits a handful of car lengths ahead. Ferrari are either really good judges of how the pit stops will play out or they simply let things play out on the track.

Was Vettel winning better for the championship? Yes. Did Ferrari have to play silly games with pit stops to get that result? No. They could have simply told the Finn move over. It's their "MO" after all.
    And your post would be completely valid had they pitted Vettel the lap after they pitted Raikkonen. Instead they left him out until he was sure he would get by in the pits. I'm sure that had Raikkonen come out of the pits ahead of Vettel they would have simply told Raikkonen "Vettel is faster than you". The way it panned out now they were able to convince all the malleable folks it wasn't pre planned.

Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    And your post would be completely valid had they pitted Vettel the lap after they pitted Raikkonen. Instead they left him out until he was sure he would get by in the pits. I'm sure that had Raikkonen come out of the pits ahead of Vettel they would have simply told Raikkonen "Vettel is faster than you". The way it panned out now they were able to convince all the malleable folks it wasn't pre planned.
    If Ferrari were simply going to ask Raikkonen to move over they would have done so and not played games with pit stops. There's a piece on JAonF1 that looks at the situation from both sides of the arguments. It won't change your mind I'm sure but it's worth a read.
    Forza Ferrari!!