Liked 306 Times in 158 Posts

Proton World Rally Ream

Now that the news has broken that Proton are to build a WRC car, who will be the drivers?

Liked 2,261 Times in 892 Posts
    It's an R5 car.
    RS Motorsport Media - Follow me on Instagram: rsmotorsportmedia

3. Likes: pantealex (23rd May 2017),steve.mandzij (23rd May 2017),Sulland (23rd May 2017)
    Liked 352 Times in 208 Posts
    Wrc2....
    GG: "I'm stinky! I needa good shower and nice bowl of pasta!"

5. Likes: pantealex (23rd May 2017),steve.mandzij (23rd May 2017)
    Liked 379 Times in 176 Posts
    One day after this thread was started, Proton finally announced that they have accepted Geely's takeover bid. Geely and PSA were the two auto manufacturers that had submitted detailed bids after five manufacturers had shown interest, earlier in the year. Geely will acquire 49.9% of Proton shares with remainder held by the Malaysian government.
    So how will this affect the Iriz R5 project? Nobody I spoke with in Malaysia last month knows what will happen with Proton or Lotus models production, let alone any proposed motor sport programme. The above press release states confidently that the R5 car will be homologated by 1 January 2018. As that will require the manufacturer to sign- off on the project (and pay a large fee), I can only hope that Geely agreed to that as part of their takeover bid. The only info I know for sure is that the R5 engine passed FIA inspection for homologation in Malaysia last year. It is sourced from the Proton Inspira, which is a re-badged Mitsubishi Lancer. The crankshaft is the same as used in the Swedish MPart Mirage 'R5/AP4' cars.

The prototype Iriz at Mellors Motorsport in UK is set to debut at Goodwood's Festival of Speed, this month.
    "Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." Steve McQueen

7. Likes: Maui J. (6th June 2017)