Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Liked 9,310 Times in 4,938 Posts
    Say what you like about the car but Meeke himself is more the issue for me. Since he got a WRC chance he's been the classic 'win it or bin it' driver and I cant see him changing now.

Consistency and speed need to go together and his accidents just destroy his confidence and then he tries too hard or goes too slow and loses concentration.

2. Likes: jparker (23rd May 2017),theImpossibleJ (23rd May 2017)
    Liked 2,275 Times in 1,069 Posts
    He won't be happy with himself and he's underperformed, nobody can deny that. However the championship was lost after Corsica, and after that car error they've purely been targeting wins. That's the instruction from the team and all Meeke wants to do himself.

The first two events were right offs from the team due to set up and testing mistakes, but he then won in Mexico.
    In Corsica that C3 looked at home on the tarmac (surprise surprise), and he was in control out in front and beating Ogier and Neuville on pure pace on tarmac. When has that ever happened to Seb?
    In Argentina he was closest to evans and running in second before both C3s had massive issues with the same compression. That also has to be classed as a mistake by Meeke too though, as I read that he maybe approached it too fast? However Citroen as a team have acknowledged they have big suspension issues, and have confirmed they have an update coming later in the year to fix the "problems".
    Again in Portugal, Meeke was on the pace and either Meeke or Paddon were about to take the lead of the rally, but a really stupid error ended his chances. That mistake, along with his 2nd crash in Argentina were needless.

So i personally don't think we need to go too overboard about Meeke just yet. He's always been a very fast driver prone to errors, but there have been other mitigating circumstances this year on top of his own performance. Despite that, the margins are still very small and Meeke more than likely would've been the first driver to win two events this year - if his engine didn't blow up in Corsica. The reason why i feel there's a huge reaction to his low pts tally is because too many people expected way too much from him and the returning Citroen. I mean, he was favourite for the championship with the bookies ffs. That's where the money was going....

The question now is; does Meeke force himself to drive at 95% and take a few 3rd and 4th places like Sordo and Tanak have been doing this season? Or seeing that he has nothing to lose, will he keep driving at 100% looking for wins (which is what Citreon's sole objective is for this year)? Maybe having Andreas as a team mate now will push him to up his game....
    Last edited by er88; 23rd May 2017 at 17:26.

4. Likes: cali (23rd May 2017),Marcco (24th May 2017),skarderud (24th May 2017),[RMC]Pip (23rd May 2017)
    Liked 9,310 Times in 4,938 Posts
    Maybe he/they were favourites after they took the 2016 WRC off to prepare and test their 2017 car.

Plus the C3 was 'built-around' Meeke and his engineering background was said to be key.

Neither of them has any excuse.

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts

Thoughts on Kris Meeke's Recent Performances?

Quote Originally Posted by er88 View Post
    The question now is; does Meeke force himself to drive at 95% and take a few 3rd and 4th places like Sordo and Tanak have been doing this season?
    Come on, Tänak has been going 100% all season, but he's had his technical problems and small mistakes taking good positions away. And Sordo, I don't think he ever had a winning pace but he rarely makes a mistake and thus gets decent results. Actually, Breen is becoming the new Sordo.

Liked 12,162 Times in 5,216 Posts
    Wrong. Tänak has said that he hasn't yet been fully on this year apart some stages maybe. Sweden day 2 for example and monte's first stages and last one of course. He said that he was actually surprised that he won the fafe power stage in Portugal because he didn't give everything there.
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

8. Likes: er88 (23rd May 2017)
    Liked 352 Times in 184 Posts
    Meeke will feel even more pressure now that Mikkelsen is in. And pressure for Meeke means more prone to errors.

10. Likes: Andre Oliveira (24th May 2017),nafpaktos (23rd May 2017),Rally Power (24th May 2017)
    Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by er88 View Post
    The question now is; does Meeke force himself to drive at 95% and take a few 3rd and 4th places like Sordo and Tanak have been doing this season? Or seeing that he has nothing to lose, will he keep driving at 100% looking for wins (which is what Citreon's sole objective is for this year)? Maybe having Andreas as a team mate now will push him to up his game....
    I regret to say that even at 95% he crashes…like in Portugal. It’s true he managed to lead during first day, but he didn’t look the usual flat out Meeke. Stages times also indicate that he wasn’t able to take advantage from starting order. I’d love to think that the problem is at the car, but rationally we must believe that Breen isn’t yet at Meeke’s level, so the car surely worth more than P5. Really hoping Meeke manages to sort things out in Italy. He deserves better.
    Rally addict since 1982

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N.O.T View Post
    recent performances ?? whats different from his previous ones ??

lol
    Well, on a long enough timeline....lol

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Liked 945 Times in 513 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wrc2017 View Post
    Are you f***king serious? C3 has a major inherint problem... its designed by touring car engineers. Breen is happy with 5th's... If Meeke was finishing 5th in every rally everyone would be disappionted.

#1 Monte - Car setup too low - team admits they didnt test in conditions like the rally, car too low, car running on sump guard every cut.
    #2 Sweden - transmission errors on all cars
    #3 Mexico - Win
    #4 Corsica - The C3 'touring car' was leading.. and broke
    #5 Agentina - The touring car dampers put him off the road
    #6 Portugal - Mistake by Meeke. Day 1 Meeke leading the small mistake, both Citroen with seconds of lead. Day 2 surface change.. both cars lose over 1m30 to Ogier.

The best thing to happen is Mikkelson in the car... now we will begin to see where the car really is. Mikkelson and Meeke in Finland will be a good gauge.. hopefully by then Mikkelson will have 2/3 event in the car.
    #1. Crash in a left-hand corner while carrying too much speed.
    #2. Could be setup problems, or trying too hard. + roll on a pre-event testing.
    #3. Win, that almost ended in tears and a massive crash.
    #4. Was doing really well, until the engine blew, could have been a perfect event, but who knows.
    #5. again, 2x crashes, maybe a bit car-related but still...
    #6. Mistake

And when you look at the past you can see a similar pattern. Great driver, absolutely capable of winning (an) event(s) but i dont`t think that he could take the championship.

14. Likes: EstWRC (23rd May 2017),Fast Eddie WRC (23rd May 2017),gorganl2000 (26th May 2017),seb_sh (24th May 2017),WUff1 (24th May 2017)
    Liked 1,115 Times in 596 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    Since he got a WRC chance he's been the classic 'win it or bin it' driver and I cant see him changing now.
    he had that attitude back in 2009 when he was driving in the IRC.

it has been the same issue all the way through his career. just look at the stats at ewrc, he has a DNF percentage of 33%. pretty much double that of most wrc drivers.
    https://www.ewrc-results.com/profile/70-kris-meeke/