Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Fabulous race.

It was great to see the two main title protagonists head to head like that pushing each other to the limit.

I was quite surprised to see how fatigued Lewis was throughout. I guess that just shows exactly how hard he is pushing the limits. It certainly didn't seem as if Vettel was anyway near close to being that fatigued after the race.

Lewis was my driver of the day. He stuck with it and was balls to the wall throughout. Great to see flat out racing like that again in F1. And it just shows that great F1 races don't need lots of overtaking, it just needs close racing.

The new 2017 rules are proving to be working out an absolute treat.

RBR seem nowhere with their new upgrade. Hopefully this now busts wide open the Adrian Newey myth with him and RBR being the master of aero-dynamics and the rubbish assumptions that go with it which have people continually claiming RBR have the best car without anything from which to support such an assumption. Clearly the best chassis are both Ferrari and Mercedes and there's little to choose between them.

Exciting season!
    Last edited by The Black Knight; 16th May 2017 at 12:04.

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Having watched the race again, it kind of looks like Bottas got away without a penalty for the first corner crash after the lights went out. He braked way too early and committed to the corner late enough for Kimi and Max to gain nearly a cars length on him.

Though he got away with it, Kama got him in the end wouldn't you say.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    Having watched the race again, it kind of looks like Bottas got away without a penalty for the first corner crash after the lights went out. He braked way too early and committed to the corner late enough for Kimi and Max to gain nearly a cars length on him.

Though he got away with it, Kama got him in the end wouldn't you say.
    I don't think it's really fair to blame anyone in that case. Lets not forget that Vettel was right in front of Bottas and he had no idea when Vettel was going to brake. Bottas braked early due to this reason I feel. It's just a first corner incident. It's not like Bahrain last year where he ruined Hamilton's race. This one is just a first corner racing incident in my opinion.

Liked 660 Times in 460 Posts
    Great to see both Seb and Lewis pushing hard to make their respective strategies work for them. I thought for sure the hard tires would go off more and that Seb might have the upper hand towards the end of the race, but things worked out in the end for Lewis and Mercedes. I still have to question why Ferrari chose to blink first and change tires when Vettel had the lead and a gap, but then again stranger things have happened.

Even with the retirements taking place in the front runners, the mid pack seemed to be really tight. Great results from Force India, and seeing a Sauber up in the points was amazing. Interesting to see that Williams seems to be fighting to keep the pace they had earlier in the season, though with Felipe doing all the work and being less consistent it might just be the driving too.

Great to see that the Ferrari/Kimi fan got some photo ops after that first turn tear session too!

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    I don't think it's really fair to blame anyone in that case. Lets not forget that Vettel was right in front of Bottas and he had no idea when Vettel was going to brake. Bottas braked early due to this reason I feel. It's just a first corner incident. It's not like Bahrain last year where he ruined Hamilton's race. This one is just a first corner racing incident in my opinion.
    Doing a slow play through that first corner showed that Bottas braked so early, such that Vettel was over a car length in front and not a real danger or concern for Bottas. That said, l can see that he was careful to ensure that he came through the first corner unscathed, which was clever. I think he was trying to avoid crashing into Hamilton who was alongside him. You are right, we should not apportion blame for the first corner incident.

Other risk takers paid the price, but he was lucky to not get damage from the wheel bang with Kimi.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 20th May 2017 at 08:13.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 785 Times in 582 Posts
    Kimi and Max got away with one as they re-entered the track alongside Massa , who got pushed out and into poor Fred , forcing him off track , losing him many places .

That was not safe at all .
    Both raced each other while off-track , over sausage curbing that firstly , could have broken suspensions , and secondly , definitely destabilized both cars only moments before both raced each other to get back on .