I'm not sure I've ever seen a helicopter get closer to the track than during this qually session .
It struck me that it could easily have been close enough to have an effect on the cars with the down-washed air .

Given the fine edge of aero-balance these things run , and the front runners being so tightly grouped in time , a few miles per hour of wind at the wrong time or in the wrong direction could affect the entire championship , couldn't it ?

Not to take it to "tin hat" level , but it could , in such a fined-tuned world of high finance and steamy technology , lead to finding that having the camera on you or a friend , while your rival is right behind , might give you an aero advantage from above .
Since you're at the sharp end anyway , it wouldn't be odd to see you on camera , so a sly wink at a friendly pilot could put you on pole , theoretically , if you could have your rivals slightly "washed" .

I know , a "bit" out there , but where else could this be possible but in the land of Putin ?