Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crazy Copter

Liked 785 Times in 582 Posts

Crazy Copter

I'm not sure I've ever seen a helicopter get closer to the track than during this qually session .
    It struck me that it could easily have been close enough to have an effect on the cars with the down-washed air .

Given the fine edge of aero-balance these things run , and the front runners being so tightly grouped in time , a few miles per hour of wind at the wrong time or in the wrong direction could affect the entire championship , couldn't it ?

Not to take it to "tin hat" level , but it could , in such a fined-tuned world of high finance and steamy technology , lead to finding that having the camera on you or a friend , while your rival is right behind , might give you an aero advantage from above .
    Since you're at the sharp end anyway , it wouldn't be odd to see you on camera , so a sly wink at a friendly pilot could put you on pole , theoretically , if you could have your rivals slightly "washed" .

I know , a "bit" out there , but where else could this be possible but in the land of Putin ?

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    I'm sure it's just an effect of the perspective of the camera looking through a telephoto lens down that long straight. I doubt the camera helicopter is any closer than at other circuits.

3. Likes: A FONDO (1st May 2017)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    I'm sure it's just an effect of the perspective of the camera looking through a telephoto lens down that long straight. I doubt the camera helicopter is any closer than at other circuits.
    Are you referring to the camera shot from the helicopter when you suggest perspective as to why I am suggesting this , because it was the shots from trackside which had it looking very low to me .

What I wonder is just how low would be too low , as it doesn't take much to throw these machines off kilter .

Liked 642 Times in 508 Posts
    It was flying a bit aggressively:

Badger GP🏎💨🏁
    @BadgerGP That helicopter pilot is flying like it’s an episode of The A-Team - love it! #RussianGP #F1

I doubt that it had any appreciable affect on the cars, but given the correct set of circumstances it probably could.
    May the forza be with you

Liked 1,090 Times in 488 Posts
    I didn't think it was very low. WRC has professional mad men as the heli crew. Just one example how low they fly - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0nH7FLuZNw
    Never stop dreaming because one day it might happen.

7. Likes: A FONDO (1st May 2017)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    Are you referring to the camera shot from the helicopter when you suggest perspective as to why I am suggesting this , because it was the shots from trackside which had it looking very low to me .
    No I was referring to the camera shot from the static camera position looking along the straight where we saw the helicopter in the background during qualifying. The telephoto lens on the camera has the effect of compressing apparent distance and making things look closer together than they are.

Having seen the helicopter from a car on-board shot, actually it did look pretty low. But not over the track at that point. The line of lamp posts is between the helicopter and the track.

10. Likes: A FONDO (1st May 2017)
    Liked 1,066 Times in 598 Posts
    Yeah, that was the first time I saw a copter take off twice during the race. Maybe it happens more often and we just don't see it?
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
    At one point it did seem to be sweeping aggressively over a bunch of spectators milling around a "general milling around" area. With a little coordination I'm sure they could all have run away screaming as if they were in some kind of action movie
    https://wordpress.com/stats/insights/stugrovesf1.wordpress.com

Well , I'm glad a few others saw what I saw as well , but the question still remains for me .
    How low is too low , even when it isn't directly over the track .

I think one can assume there would be at least some lasting effect from the propeller downwash for a few seconds , especially when it's making tight turns , following the cars around .
    And , when you consider the actual distance they are away from each other when they start to encounter turbulence from the car ahead , it would seem that the outcome of the race or qually could easily be influenced heavily .

An errant gust of wind can unload the wings and cause an off .
    As "an act of God" , it isn't a problem , as it is down the chance .
    As "an act of helicopter" it becomes very messy .