Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Bottas was man of the race in my opinion. Storming into the lead from third place against what was a really fast Ferrari was the sort of thing one would expect from Hamilton. His first F1 win which was long coming in my opinion. Apart from the excitement of a potential Vettel overtake on Bottas which never happened ofcourse, the Russian GP was the most boring race of the season so far.

Kimi faded as Bottas and Vettel streaked away. Hamilton got the dodgy car this weekend, hence suffered all sorts of heating problems. You can tell Hammy is very downcast about the state of the Mercedes relative to the Ferrari Verstapenn did well to be best of the rest but he was very quiet all through this race. It was a great day for force India as they out scored the Williams and Renault. Consolidating their forth position in the constructors championship.

The Williams race strategy really squandered all the hard work of Massa. I think a question mark is beginning to arise about the Lance Stroll experiment. It just seems to be costing Williams more than is reasonable. Having two drivers of Massa's caliber would certainly have given Williams a better constructors position than they are attaining at the moment. They have a great car for a change and it is not attaining its full potential. I suppose one would ask if the unattained constructors money is out wayed by the money that Stroll brings to the table. If not, it would make sense to cut him lose as he is clearly struggling to measure up to other rookies on the grid. Like Ocon in particular.

Some may say the Honda engine is only fit for a lawnmower, but Sauber has signed up to have it for 2018. That Honda engine is clearly faster than the 2016 Ferrari Engine. Hence there is clear progress, but plagued with all manner of gremlins. At least, we can say that Honda is committed to F1 for the next few years.

Two drivers that is also not quite measuring up are Palmer and Magnussen. Palmer just seem to be in a crash rot at the moment. With Hulkenburg finishing 8th, Renault would dearly preferred Palmer to finish 9th or 10th. Magnussen just seem to make avoidable mistakes that prevents him from reaching his true potential.

What can we say about Ricciado? He is just so unlucky in this phase of the year. He must be very frustrated.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 1st May 2017 at 12:26.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    I am so happy for Bottas. Truly deserved this victory. He is over performing where lots of us didn't expect and it is great to see for such a nice chap.

Vettel moaning on the radio again. Was so happy that Massa burned the pissy little bitch in the post race interviews.
    Last edited by The Black Knight; 30th April 2017 at 22:10.

Liked 1,053 Times in 594 Posts
    I think Hulkenburg was the MOTR. Last year that Renault was a dog and he has done wonders with it. Maybe if Alonso returns they might actually hit a podium or two in 2018.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
    Other than Vettel chasing down Bottas this was a complete borefest, overtaking - or just getting close - seems to be a huge problem on some tracks.

5. Likes: zako85 (2nd May 2017)
    Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    As much as we like to lambast McLaren over here, let's face it: we really needed them on this race. It would have been rather entertaining to see Alonso losing positions on the straights, if only to see some actual overtaking!

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Houston, we actually got a good F1 season.

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    Some may say the Honda engine is only fit for a lawnmower, but Sauber has signed up to have it for 2018. That Honda engine is clearly faster than the 2016 Ferrari Engine. Hence there is clear progress, but plagued with all manner of gremlins.
    Kimi's Qualifying time at the 2016 Chinese GP was 1;35.972 to put him 3rd. Ocon's time at the 2017 Chinese GP was 1:35.496 to put him 20th. Alonso's 14th place time in 2017 would have put him on pole in 2016.

That Honda engine is clearly faster than the 2016 Ferrari Engine - is it? Bigger wings and higher cornering speeds have had more to do with performance than just the engine me thinks.

At any rate, McLaren was spitting out 7s, 8s, 9s and 10s and this season they've got 13s, 14s and 20s.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    At least, we can say that Honda is committed to F1 for the next few years.
    The Titanic was also absolutely committed to Atlantic sea crossing for ten years. That didn't work out so well.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Kimi's Qualifying time at the 2016 Chinese GP was 1;35.972 to put him 3rd. Ocon's time at the 2017 Chinese GP was 1:35.496 to put him 20th. Alonso's 14th place time in 2017 would have put him on pole in 2016.

That Honda engine is clearly faster than the 2016 Ferrari Engine - is it? Bigger wings and higher cornering speeds have had more to do with performance than just the engine me thinks.

At any rate, McLaren was spitting out 7s, 8s, 9s and 10s and this season they've got 13s, 14s and 20s.

The Titanic was also absolutely committed to Atlantic sea crossing for ten years. That didn't work out so well.
    Yep, for those with short memories it wouldn't be the first time Honda has pulled the plug.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post

Fair comment. Honda will either chicken out or fight to get ahead. Surely it can't get any worst. The only way is up from this point. It would be well worth the wait when they do get it together and l think they would. Who ever said making winning F1 engine was easy eh? That said, spare a thought for Alonso.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare