Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Liked 784 Times in 390 Posts
    Colin's shift changed from Meeke to M-Sport. Love the guy, but even he cannot fully defend Meeke at this point.

Liked 124 Times in 64 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    Mostly predictable stuff. Most interesting part is the Hyundai rumors, seems like at least one of the drivers will be swapped for someone else - unless of course Paddon or Sordo pull off some miracle performances in the remaining rounds.
    Na, absolute rubbish. Sordo has been Sordo for 10 years. Consistently slowish and relatively low risk but not a contender. Paddon (when his car has actually worked) has showed speed. Fast in Poland, fast in Finland, even faster than his team mates in 6 out of the 13 stages on the last two days in Germany (which included 3 stupid SSS stages) - on tarmac. Hell he was leading in Sardinia after the first day and first loop of stages on the second day.

Nothing this season has changed for Hyundai. Sordo is still Sordo and Paddon is still developing, if they didn't take any of the VW rejects from last year there is no reason to change this year.

I have lost interest in Colin Clark's rants, he only ever talks about M-Sport or Meeke and doesn't really have much to say other than the absolute obvious and stuff he makes up. He never quotes actual facts or figures or data on actual performance - split times on stages which may inform performance or provide an insight into what may influence a drivers speed. He just takes a long winded way to say not a lot...

In fact I think he misses a lot because he can't see past the blue oval or Meeke.

3. Likes: AnttiL (29th August 2017)
    Liked 1,472 Times in 572 Posts
    Sordo is the best 3th driver you can have. He very rarely makes mistakes and takes consistent points when one of the other drivers retires.
    On some events he is even 2nd driver (mainly on tarmac).

5. Likes: Andre Oliveira (29th August 2017),AnttiL (29th August 2017),pantealex (30th August 2017),TWRC (29th August 2017)
    Liked 3,786 Times in 1,977 Posts
    I'd say you are both missing the point, titles are won on points not on "shown speed" (Paddon and Meeke this year).

Specially this:
    Quote Originally Posted by dupanton View Post
    Sordo is the best 3th driver you can have. He very rarely makes mistakes and takes consistent points when one of the other drivers retires.
    As it is now Ogier, Tanak and Mikkelsen don't have a contract. Any of these 3 would bring more points to Hyundai than Sordo. There is also no doubt that any of them has more "potential" for the future than Sordo.

With Paddon again any of these 3 likely brings more points, but Paddon has some future possibilities.

The question is if any of these 3 "free" drivers is available for the amount of money Hyundai wants to spend. (including eventual payments to the driver they drop).

But undoubtedly Hyundai will never drop Sordo or Paddon for someone like Suninen or Tidemand at this point.

7. Likes: Allez Andruet (29th August 2017),AnttiL (29th August 2017),pantealex (30th August 2017),WRC1 (29th August 2017)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quoting myself:

Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Paddon had power steering failures in Sweden, Portugal and Argentina, a misfire in Mexico, and an electrical failure in Portugal. In Argentina and Monte he rolled the car and in Sardegna and Finland he clipped a wheel. In TDC and Germany he was just off the pace (with some punctures in Germany) and Poland was a clean run.

Sordo had a technical problem on the street stages in Mexico, broke a steering arm in Argentina and had engine problems in Sardegna. Germany was his first true driving error of the season and in Finland he was just off the pace.

Meanwhile, Neuville hasn't really had technical problems slowing him down.
    Sordo has had two rallies ruined by technical problems, Paddon three. Neuville only had the brake problems in Sardegna. But it's also true that Paddon has made quite many driving errors this season.

Liked 782 Times in 309 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Quoting myself:

Sordo has had two rallies ruined by technical problems, Paddon three. Neuville only had the brake problems in Sardegna. But it's also true that Paddon has made quite many driving errors this season.
    Your quoted post lists 4 rallies with technical problems for Paddon, not 3. Just to be pedantic.

I guess the power steering failure in Argentina probably didn't change his 6th place though, the time loss from the early roll was too much for that.

I'm still not sure if that roll was actually a mistake or just a weird combination of bad luck either to be honest - he wasn't off the road or off line, the car just somehow dug into a rut or something in the middle of the road at low speed and slow-motion tipped over with no damage.

I agree that he's had a bad season with a few of his own mistakes as well as the car problems - but plenty of other drivers have had rough patches too and come back to better form again afterwards, so I certainly haven't given up on him.

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    Your quoted post lists 4 rallies with technical problems for Paddon, not 3. Just to be pedantic.

I guess the power steering failure in Argentina probably didn't change his 6th place though, the time loss from the early roll was too much for that.
    You said it, not much to lose anymore on the last stage. He also had some other hydraulic problems on the final day, but couldn't really gain or lose any positions.

Liked 352 Times in 208 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dupanton View Post
    He's the best 2nd driver, since Citroen!
    GG: "I'm stinky! I needa good shower and nice bowl of pasta!"

Liked 9,258 Times in 4,912 Posts

Liked 359 Times in 191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    A very interesting watch.

As he says, a lot could hinge on four-car teams next season.