Page 17 of 277 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast

Thread: Hyundai WRT

Liked 487 Times in 242 Posts
    Huttunen´s pure talent was the reason to choose him, but of course we have to remember that during the Peugeot days Michel Nandan was there as a chief engineer and Marcus knows him very well.

Liked 2,195 Times in 1,078 Posts
    Those other 2 strong candidates were also from "north"
    "quattro best 4wd rallycar ever"

3. Likes: AnttiL (17th October 2017)
    Liked 945 Times in 513 Posts
    Huttunen has already proved, what he is capable of in wrc2. Kalle has a great talent, but still has a lot to learn. IMHO he is a bit overhyped now, but his time will come...

5. Likes: pantealex (17th October 2017)
    Liked 12,164 Times in 5,216 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pantealex View Post
    as i understood then Kruuda was the first one who was left out.
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

Liked 487 Times in 242 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pantealex View Post
    Must have been then Bergkvist and Rovanperä

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarmop View Post
    Huttunen has already proved, what he is capable of in wrc2. Kalle has a great talent, but still has a lot to learn. IMHO he is a bit overhyped now, but his time will come...
    Yeh, we must remember his age, most people are only starting their careers at this point when he is already winning national championships in an R5 car. We can still give him a couple of years.

9. Likes: pantealex (17th October 2017)
    Liked 3,786 Times in 1,977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Yeh, we must remember his age, most people are only starting their careers at this point when he is already winning national championships in an R5 car. We can still give him a couple of years.
    Thing is the "national championship speed" is what a lot of young drivers with money/drives get very quickly. Ex. Latvala, Mikkelsen and... M. Wilson.

The big step is going from that to top 6 WRC speed. For example, Mikkelsen didn't have nearly that kind of speed during his privateer time in WRC but got there after IRC. Wilson never got it, even though his "young" speed was good.

Which is why I am pessimistic about the hype every driver who shows some speed at 17-19 gets. Time will tell how Huttunen does, I hope he does well, but it's far from guaranteed.

11. Likes: RS (17th October 2017)
    Liked 2,241 Times in 1,199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    Thing is the "national championship speed" is what a lot of young drivers with money/drives get very quickly. Ex. Latvala, Mikkelsen and... M. Wilson.

The big step is going from that to top 6 WRC speed. For example, Mikkelsen didn't have nearly that kind of speed during his privateer time in WRC but got there after IRC. Wilson never got it, even though his "young" speed was good.

Which is why I am pessimistic about the hype every driver who shows some speed at 17-19 gets. Time will tell how Huttunen does, I hope he does well, but it's far from guaranteed.
    I think your examples show why it is important for drivers to build up through the series and categories gradually.

Lefebvre is another example of someone who they tried to progress too quickly.

Liked 2,241 Times in 1,199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarmop View Post
    Huttunen has already proved, what he is capable of in wrc2.
    Hardly.. it was one event (which was also his home event) where there was also not much competition.

I happen to believe he does have a lot of talent and potential, but he still has a lot to prove too.

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RS View Post
    I think your examples show why it is important for drivers to build up through the series and categories gradually.

Lefebvre is another example of someone who they tried to progress too quickly.
    Lefebvre was good in FWD cars, but he did only a year worth of rallies in R5 with only one good result (in Monte 2015) before being taken into WRC level. And I think WRC2 or ERC is where he should still be.

And I think Rovanperä should do a couple of years of WRC2 as well and he's still years ahead of most of his rivals. I hope the hype doesn't work against him. It's not like he fails if he doesn't win WRC2 in Wales and Australia.

15. Likes: pantealex (17th October 2017),RS (17th October 2017),WUff1 (18th October 2017)