Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: 2017 Bahrain GP

Liked 1,053 Times in 594 Posts
    Bernie used to complain about people not being able to see the race in certain places. Look at Bahrain, there are stands only on the start finish straight!
    Yeah, the races here have been good but still...
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    The un-edited radio transcript reveals all:
    Alonso: Engine problem, I am retiring the car
    McLaren: What's the engine problem Fernando?
    Alonso: The problem is it has a big H on the top
    Wait...

That's actually true?

Alonso tries hard to make Honda sack him. But he probably doesn't care - getting sacked by Honda would rather be a blessing for him.

Liked 467 Times in 284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jens View Post
    getting sacked by Honda would rather be a blessing for him.
    I am not sure about that. If they get Merc engine next year, they could suddenly begin fighting with Force India for the 4th place.

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jens View Post
    Wait...

That's actually true?

Sean Spicer assures me that it is absolutely true

It is interesting, though, that Fernando's radio messages during the race seem to be the one area immune to memos from the PR department. Like everyone else in McLaren, he never openly criticises Honda in interviews, but for 90 minutes on a Sunday it seems he's allowed to just go to town on them.
    Last edited by AndyL; 18th April 2017 at 18:26.

Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    Meanwhile, at the post-race test, McLaren managed to almost complete 2 laps with the new and improved engine before bringing the car back to the garage and needing... another new engine. Eventually managed to get in 15 or so laps at the end of the day, apparently at reduced power.

Good lord. If that engine was a horse, they'd shoot it.

6. Likes: Klinsman (18th April 2017),N. Jones (18th April 2017),TWRC (23rd April 2017)
    Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    Good lord. If that engine was a horse, they'd shoot it.
    That's the problem. There are even no horses in that engine to beat...

I'll get my coat.

8. Likes: Duncan (18th April 2017),gm99 (19th April 2017),Klinsman (18th April 2017),Mia 01 (19th April 2017),N. Jones (18th April 2017),N4D13 (19th April 2017),Rollo (19th April 2017),Tazio (21st April 2017),TWRC (23rd April 2017)
    Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zako85 View Post
    In the opinion of many automotive journalists, Honda is not just a company run by the tinkering engineers, but it's also the company composed of the most stubborn ones. These people religiously believe that their way is the right way, and they keep on doing things their way, always.
    I remember Eddie Lawson, Wayne Gardner and Mick Doohan all complaining about this very thing. They'd complain to the engineers who'd have a tinker and then it would be wrong in an entirely different way.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Race was great. I was lucky enough to see it live as I was there. Vettel was amazing... This season is really fun to watch.

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zako85 View Post
    In the opinion of many automotive journalists, Honda is not just a company run by the tinkering engineers, but it's also the company composed of the most stubborn ones. These people religiously believe that their way is the right way, and they keep on doing things their way, always. Another problem is that according to many, Honda lost its way some time in the early 00s. They really should have moved their F1 engine building business into UK. At this point, Honda's involvement in F1 is looking just very bad. Their current return into F1 is looking worse than Porsche's in 1991. How could such great automotive companies go so wrong..
    I don't think Honda are any exception in that respect.

BMW divorced from Williams because they were adamant that they could do a better job of running a team. Within five years they were gone from F1, while Williams have recovered a great deal and are still with us. Toyota made some crazy decisions (e.g. basing themselves in Germany) when running their own team, and would probably have done better had they become an engine supplier instead. Ferrari stuck with V12 engines for years when it was almost universally acknowledged that V10s provided the best compromise between power and fuel efficiency, but had the good sense to eventually admit that they were wrong.

However, being stubborn can sometimes work out. When Renault introduced turbos they were a laughing stock. Within half a decade, they were world championship contenders, and all the other competitive cars also had turbo power.

Either way, I hope that McLaren and/or Honda sort things out. It has been painful to see someone as talented as Alonso wasting away in the midfield.

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Owain View Post
    However, being stubborn can sometimes work out. When Renault introduced turbos they were a laughing stock. Within half a decade, they were world championship contenders, and all the other competitive cars also had turbo power.
    Renault also did this:

They took their EF engine, enlarged it and then ran it in a far harder laboratory until it broke. They only found reliability in F1 after they'd been to Le Mans.

Honda haven't yet taken their engine to Le Mans to try and break it.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!