Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 104
  1. #51
    Senior Member Stan Reid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.
    Posts
    413
    Like
    36
    Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
    Alonso will get experience with other cars during all the days of practice although there is nothing exactly like racing. In the last days of practice, there can be upwards of 30 cars on the track at one time. He said the car was practically driving itself but, no doubt, the wings were tilted for major downforce. Things will be much tougher when the car is fully trimmed out for qualifying day. He's a great driver so I'm sure he can handle that.
    Last edited by Stan Reid; 10th May 2017 at 02:26.
    This is my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking

  2. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    To the right of the left
    Posts
    3,569
    Like
    3
    Liked 72 Times in 61 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Reid View Post
    Alonso will get experience with other cars during all the days of practice although there is nothing exacrly like racing. In the last days of practice, there can be upwards of 30 cars on the track at one time. He said the car was practically driving itself but, no doubt, the wings were tilted for major downforce. Things will be much tougher when the car is fully trimmed out for qualifying day. He's a great driver so I'm sure he can handle that.
    Yes, it brings much needed interest to what otherwise would be just another dull spec IRL Indy 500. I realize that this dead horse has long rotted away, but I'd still like to see real innovation at the 500 again.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

  3. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    861
    Like
    0
    Liked 166 Times in 134 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazio View Post
    The Triple Crown of Motorsport is winning:

    the Indy 500

    the Monaco Grand Prix

    the 24 Hours of Le Mans

    JPM is the only active driver that has won 2 of the 3
    Thats what they say. But it kind of is a lower bar by todays standard. To my mind, the triple should be winning one F1 driver championship [including Monaco], winning the Indy 500 and winning the Le Mans 24 hours in the premier category in first position l might add.

    But that is a tall order, and puts the possibility of a triple outside the reach of other drivers that may not win the F1 WDC but can win Monaco and the other two. Kind of like Hulkenburg who is on his way there.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 9th May 2017 at 12:03.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

  4. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,559
    Like
    25
    Liked 175 Times in 135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    Thats what they say. But it kind of is a lower bar by todays standard. To my mind, the triple should be winning one F1 driver championship [including Monaco], winning the Indy 500 and winning the Le Mans 24 hours in the premier category in first position l might add.
    Why include the F1 drivers championship but not the Indycar championship or the WEC championship?

    I don't think it's a low bar at all. (Did you mean that as a slight to JPM? ) The fact that no-one's done it for 45 years suggests it's no cakewalk.

  5. #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    861
    Like
    0
    Liked 166 Times in 134 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    Why include the F1 drivers championship but not the Indycar championship or the WEC championship?

    I don't think it's a low bar at all. (Did you mean that as a slight to JPM? ) The fact that no-one's done it for 45 years suggests it's no cakewalk.
    It is no cakewalk, hence why l sort of changed my mind mid-post. Doing it at championship level is a new ball game. It would be great to see if anyone can do that.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

  6. #56
    Senior Member Tazio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    San Diego, Ca
    Posts
    14,126
    Like
    697
    Liked 358 Times in 297 Posts
    What it really comes down to is that these are three iconic races, and importantly with very long traditions. Look at the list of drivers that have two legs:
    Tazio Nuvolari
    Maurice Trintignant
    A.J.Foyt
    Bruce McLaren
    Jochen Rindt
    JPM
    Of these guys only Foyt, and JPM have won the Indy 500.
    How about the guys that aren't on the list:
    Schumacher
    Mansell
    Prost
    Senna
    Stewart
    Clark
    Fangio
    and more.
    My point is the first list is not a list of better drivers than the one that followed. It is simply three races, that depending on your orientation you competed in the three, and maybe had a little luck (financial backing) along the way. Just for an illustration Maurice Trintignant competed in F1 from 1950-1964 he had two race wins, both at Monaco
    I have great faith in fools -- Self confidence my friends will call it.


  7. #57
    Senior Member Stan Reid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.
    Posts
    413
    Like
    36
    Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazio View Post
    What it really comes down to is that these are three iconic races, and importantly with very long traditions. Look at the list of drivers that have two legs:
    Tazio Nuvolari
    Maurice Trintignant
    A.J.Foyt
    Bruce McLaren
    Jochen Rindt
    JPM
    Of these guys only Foyt, and JPM have won the Indy 500.
    And, I believe Rindt was the only other to even give Indy a try.
    This is my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking

  8. #58
    Senior Member Tazio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    San Diego, Ca
    Posts
    14,126
    Like
    697
    Liked 358 Times in 297 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Reid View Post
    And, I believe Rindt was the only other to even give Indy a try.
    Tazio had a DNQ in 1938, but I don't know the circumstances. Any info would be appreciated
    I have great faith in fools -- Self confidence my friends will call it.


  9. #59
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    5,070
    Like
    219
    Liked 146 Times in 110 Posts
    It was great to see Alonso finally hoist that pig up some in Spain, but I'm sure driving at Indy was already on his mind. It will be interesting to see how he does in such a different type of car, and how he handles pace and traffic.

  10. #60
    Senior Member Tazio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    San Diego, Ca
    Posts
    14,126
    Like
    697
    Liked 358 Times in 297 Posts
    Quali dawgzzz! Alright McFred at p3 about half-way through the session!
    I have great faith in fools -- Self confidence my friends will call it.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •