Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Delighted for Sato. Amazing to think that his career could have ended up as a chef.

Gutted for Alonso. I really felt he deserved more than what he got but once again Honda couldn't make an engine last the distance. Sucks big time. What an impressive performance from the one true great of the current F1 crop. Provide once again that he is one of the greatest of all time and that is no surprise.

2. Likes: zako85 (29th May 2017)
    Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    I couldnt watch the whole race but delighted for Takuma Sato. He is such a nice guy and has battled away in Indy car over recent years.

Gutted for Alonso but he put on a good show. Great effort by a class driver.

Unlucky for Max Chilton too. Just couldn't handle the pressure and pace right at the end.

Goes to show what the forum is now that there is more Indy 500 chat on the F1 forum than the Indy car one.....
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    but I'd still like to see real innovation at the 500 again.
    There won't be real innovation in the IndyCar until more people watch it. Poor TV ratings mean poor sponsorship and that most teams outside of the top three must run on a shoestring budget. Most teams can barely afford to buy and service their spec chassis right now.

Liked 788 Times in 585 Posts
    All eyes at the afternoon start to the dinner party shifted towards me when I screamed "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !" when I saw the smoke from the edge of my seat on the couch .

Zo was done .
    I turned it off .

One of my guests turned to me and said "You're turning it off ?" .

I'm glad he did .

It snapped me back into remembering that my boy Taku was still in with a real shot , so on went the TV again and they heard me screaming a resounding "YEEEEEEEEEES !" only twenty or so laps later .

So , thanks Doug .

That win couldn't happen to a nicer guy .
    Now he's a legend .

6. Likes: donKey jote (30th May 2017),Tazio (29th May 2017)
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Excellent performance by Alonso. Shame about the car, but at least he got a chance to show his talents.

I don't know what Alonso's plans are now, but I had a thought that if he won the Indy 500 this time, he would leave F1 quite swiftly in order to work on achieving the final part of the Triple Crown at Le Mans. Perhaps with some confidence of an equally-fast but more reliable car next year for Indy, he might continue with McLaren in F1, then if he wins the Indy 500 next year he'll be off pursuing the Triple Crown then instead.

8. Likes: zako85 (29th May 2017)
    Alonso should pull a Nigel Mansell by signing up full-time in IndyCar in 2018 (like Mansell did in 1993) and winning the championship.

10. Likes: mr_swiss (30th May 2017)
    Liked 667 Times in 465 Posts
    I think Alonso proved just how quickly he was comfortable in that car, and I seriously doubt that anyone thought he didn't at least have a solid chance at a top five, if not a podium. Even though the last laps can get a little wild at Indy, he seemed to really figure things out quickly. And even though the Honda engine failed not unlike has happened many times in F1 recently, at least it held together long enough for him to run up front and in the lead, something unlikely to happen any time soon in the F1 car. It was a bummer to see that engine let go on him.

As for Sato, pleased but personally a bit shocked. He seemed less stable, and I didn't think he would pull it off. Well done!

Indy 500 is a fun race, but things that went in it underscore just how dangerous this form of racing is. Nothing has really changed since 2011. Drivers get injured on regular basis. First, Bourdais crashed in the qualifying requiring surgery from broken hip and fractured pelvis. He is confident he can return to racing for the season's end. Next, Dixon's crash looked horrendous. While Scott Dixon was able to walk away, I suspect we were lucky those two crashes weren't worse.

Liked 54 Times in 41 Posts
    I was really impressed with Alonso. Not just how well he raced, but also the way he acted. I thought he would behave like a prima donna. I'm so happy he came here and made a huge fan out of me and probably some more. Hats off Fernando.
    Hope he'll be back next year.
    "Wives live longer than husbands, because they are not married to women" Colin Mochrie - "Whose Line is it anyway?" - The funniest TV show on earth!

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazio View Post
    What it really comes down to is that these are three iconic races, and importantly with very long traditions. Look at the list of drivers that have two legs:
    Tazio Nuvolari
    Maurice Trintignant
    A.J.Foyt
    Bruce McLaren
    Jochen Rindt
    JPM
    Of these guys only Foyt, and JPM have won the Indy 500.
    How about the guys that aren't on the list:
    Schumacher
    Mansell
    Prost
    Senna
    Stewart
    Clark
    Fangio
    and more.
    My point is the first list is not a list of better drivers than the one that followed. It is simply three races, that depending on your orientation you competed in the three, and maybe had a little luck (financial backing) along the way. Just for an illustration Maurice Trintignant competed in F1 from 1950-1964 he had two race wins, both at Monaco
    I'm not sure where Juancho stands on racing at Le Mans, but I'd love to see him in a good car at Le Mans before he hangs up his helmet. That would give him Monaco, the Indy 500, the CART championship, NASCAR wins and Rolex 24 wins, as well as Le Mans. That would be one hell of a career accomplishment.

The two that I'm surprised that didn't win Monaco (to go along with their Indy victories) are Mario Andretti and Emmo Fittipaldi.

Sucks for Alonso. I didn't watch the race (only saw the last three laps), but when I saw a replay of Alonso's engine smoking, I can't say that I was surprised. He lost one in practice or qualifying too, didn't he? Does the IRL require engines to be picked at random? How can a guy have that much bad luck???
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith