Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
    Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yodasarmpit View Post
    Thanks, but I stand by my opinion. The lack of overtaking ability was evident, Max being the best defender out there was irrelevant as Hamilton couldn't even get close enough to challenge him.
    Thanks, but how is this different from the F1 races from 20 or 30 years ago? I have watched the most of the 1990s races, for example, and they were basically similar in the way that if you end up driving behind a competent driver and a competent car, then overtaking it will be extremely hard if not impossible. The way I see it, the greatness of a racing is not only in seeing the faster car always overtaking the slow car, but also in seeing a competent driver of a slower car putting a heroic drive and slowing a driver with obviously a faster car. What should be exciting in F1 racing is not the number of overtakes, but the struggle of the _close racing_. If overtakes are almost always easy, like it is today, this significantly reduces the amount of close racing. I think by now most people are more than sick of the fake DRS overtakes that F1 has been allowing in the past years since 2011 because those easy and frequent overtakes have come at the cost of seeing less and less high quality close racing.

2. Likes: steveaki13 (29th March 2017)
    Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Because we all used to enjoy the Trulli train so much, right?

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zako85 View Post
    Thanks, but how is this different from the F1 races from 20 or 30 years ago? I have watched the most of the 1990s races, for example, and they were basically similar in the way that if you end up driving behind a competent driver and a competent car, then overtaking it will be extremely hard if not impossible. The way I see it, the greatness of a racing is not only in seeing the faster car always overtaking the slow car, but also in seeing a competent driver of a slower car putting a heroic drive and slowing a driver with obviously a faster car. What should be exciting in F1 racing is not the number of overtakes, but the struggle of the _close racing_. If overtakes are almost always easy, like it is today, this significantly reduces the amount of close racing. I think by now most people are more than sick of the fake DRS overtakes that F1 has been allowing in the past years since 2011 because those easy and frequent overtakes have come at the cost of seeing less and less high quality close racing.
    This is exactly how I feel. I would rather see a race long Battle and no overtakes than 10 DRS passes.

Spot on Zako

Sent from my GT-I9301I using Tapatalk
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    Because we all used to enjoy the Trulli train so much, right?
    I would rather see that than DRS breeze past on the straights passing.

Close battling and defending are as big an art as overtaking in my view

I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    We can put a brave face on it. The truth of the matter is, we have a season that is likely to be 20 fast processions. It is back to being a race of good qualifying and excellent pit stop strategy. Mercedes dropped the ball with their poor pitstop strategy at Oz.

Tell you what, it is damn great to see that we have a genuine Mercedes Ferrari tussle this season. It would be great if Redbull and Williams can join the party at the front :-)
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

7. Likes: truefan72 (29th March 2017)
    Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13 View Post
    I would rather see that than DRS breeze past on the straights passing.

Close battling and defending are as big an art as overtaking in my view
    If all you've got to do to defend is drive round without crashing, there's not much art to it.

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    If all you've got to do to defend is drive round without crashing, there's not much art to it.
    agreed
    you can't argue with results.

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13 View Post
    This is exactly how I feel. I would rather see a race long Battle and no overtakes than 10 DRS passes.

Spot on Zako

It's possible to have close racing AND overtakes showing driver skills. But not with the current technical regulations. There are many more factors involved, but one of the easiest is to get rid of carbon brakes and go back to steel discs. That lengthens the braking zone and allows better opportunity for a good driver to make competitive passes.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

11. Likes: steveaki13 (30th March 2017)
    Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    You can make the cars weigh 2 tonnes. That'll increase the braking distances.

The thing with heavy aero. Is that even if the trailing car cannot get past the leading car, you can't appreciate the lead car being able to hold off the trailing car.

Ban wings, and the problem is solved.
    Last edited by journeyman racer; 30th March 2017 at 08:26.

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Damn right you are! A fast procession is bound to be a cure for insomnia. We want to see the drivers fighting each other like the Ocon Hulkenburg move on Alonso. As it stands, we can more or less tell the outcome of the race after the pitstops. No point watching after that.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare