Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    Liked 785 Times in 582 Posts
    Who ordered up the extra downforce in the first place , anyway ?

I think it's pretty well understood that a load of wings on the body , especially at the rear of the vehicle will always produce a large area of low pressure behind it as a result .
    They know this .
    They've known it for a long time .

And , they know they can get loads more from the underside of the car , which , incidentally , won't produce near as much wake turbulence .

Bottas remarked that last year they were sketchy inside of 1.5 seconds of the guy ahead , but this year it happens out at 2.5 seconds , so getting in tight enough to get the DRS activated is going to be tough , unless your car is significantly faster , and can follow another car easily .

I'm more than a little confused as to why this hasn't been fixed .

2. Likes: zako85 (31st March 2017)
    Liked 192 Times in 174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jens View Post
    All the remaining assets were confiscated by the bank. Note: There were no assets!
    even if you owe the bank(s) tonnes of money (read hundreds of millions of dollars), you can still run off to the UK, sell part of the team to another guy with worse ethics (who is currently in jail) and enjoy life on your yacht. Just ask Vijay Mallya and Force India.
    Tito Vilanova = :champion:

Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    Who ordered up the extra downforce in the first place , anyway ?...

I'm more than a little confused as to why this hasn't been fixed .
    You reduce the downforce. You reduce the F1 industry.

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    Who ordered up the extra downforce in the first place , anyway?
    I am guessing this decision was based on a misguided judgement that F1 cars need to be much faster in order to be more exciting. This argument of course is terribly flawed because most people could care less if the cars lapped in Melbourne three second a lap slower. I think such discourse arose at the time when they switched from V8 to turbo V6. At this point the forums were filled with people who complained that V6 engines suck because they don't sound as well as in the past, and the V6 cars were also slower.
    Last edited by zako85; 31st March 2017 at 14:55.

Quote Originally Posted by journeyman racer View Post
    You reduce the downforce. You reduce the F1 industry.
    I'm not talking about taking too much away in terms of total downforce , but rather , giving them more area underneath to perform the magic at the same time as reducing the upper aeros .

For example , couldn't the "plank" be two small strips along the edges of it's dimensions as they are currently ?
    If they had that area open , they would likely be able to replace a huge amount of topside downforce , with much less wake .

That F1 industry of which you speak , would just slide underneath the car to a more mysterious position .

Quote Originally Posted by zako85 View Post
    I am guessing this base based on a misguided judgement that F1 cars need to be much faster in order to be more exciting. This argument of course is terribly flawed because most people could care less if the cars lapped in Melbourne three second a lap slower. I think such discourse arose at the time when they switched from V8 to turbo V6. At this point the forums were filled with people who complained that V6 engines suck because they don't sound as well as in the past, and the V6 cars were also slower.
    Well , they aren't completely wrong that fast doesn't suck .
    But , they wanted the drivers to be saying that the cars are a handful , rather than impossible to pass .
    And , without the added aero , I think they might have gotten their wish .

And , that's what I don't understand .
    More grip from the fatter skins would have upped the times anyway , presumably .
    But adding aero seems just greedy about speed whilst blinkered to the dirty air passing issue they've been battling for years .

It doesn't make sense .
    None .
    No sense .

How come an old hippie like myself can figure this out and all those big brains can't ?

The old hippie is mighty confused and frustrated right now .

8. Likes: zako85 (31st March 2017)
    Liked 1,066 Times in 598 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    even if you owe the bank(s) tonnes of money (read hundreds of millions of dollars), you can still run off to the UK, sell part of the team to another guy with worse ethics (who is currently in jail) and enjoy life on your yacht. Just ask Vijay Mallya and Force India.
    Everybody's leaving F1. Soon the only people left will be me, my son, and pino.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Jones View Post
    Everybody's leaving F1. Soon the only people left will be me, my son, and pino.
    One more and you'll have enough for either poker or bridge.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    I really enjoyed the Melbourne GP. There may not have been much overtaking but that doesn't matter as F1 has never been about that in my eyes. The point is that there was close racing at the front between two top teams.

It's going to be interesting to see if Ferrari can keep this up or if they will tail off throughout the year. Historically over the last number of years they tend to lose the development race to Mercedes.

If Ferrari win this year it'll be due to the skills of Vettel. It certainly won't be due to Raikkonen. The gap between them was embarrassing for the Finn. Vettel shows once again that when he is given the car he can deliver but, unfortunately, it's only when he is given the car as seen by his winless 16 and 14 campaigns.

A season long fight between him and Hamilton I shall cherish if it happens.

A few points from Melbourne are that Lewis needs to use his tires better. It's the one area I've always found Lewis lacking is his ability to nurse his tires over his teammates.

Ferrari won because Mercedes had to pit early. Great to see the overcut back in F1. F1 2017 looks a lot more entertaining than 2016.
    Last edited by The Black Knight; 4th April 2017 at 09:37.

12. Likes: zako85 (4th April 2017)
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yeah, Lewis will find out that Bottas isn't like that other Finnish teammate, by the way who put on a great performance in his Mercedes debut for 3rd place.