Page 4 of 138 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast
    Liked 23 Times in 8 Posts
    Some small tips to first visitors:

Get early to the stages, preferably before the road closes. If going for the first time then don't rush between stages. I've been to Rally Finland for 10 years and only one time have I stressed between stages and that was not fun. Instead, come early, find a good spot, bring something to sit on, drink and eat. Don't forget a radio to be able to listen to the Rally Radio.

The designated spots are sometimes ok but sometimes very, very bad and my personal view is that organizers should instead mark out places which are a absolute no-go (plus outside of corners of course) and then let people spread out. I've been in very safe spots and been chased away because it was "not behind the ribbon"...

Walk away on the stage and find a nice safe spot for yourself. Keep a good distance from the road to keep off the radar of the Marshalls and then come closer when the cars arrive.

This year the ittenary is very nice and allows to watch one double-run stage in the morning-midday and one more in the afternoon with time for a (real) lunch break in between, since they run something like 3 double stages before lunch and 3 in the afternoon which is very nice.

Bring cash in the car since parking usually is 5 EUR.

Buy a portable USB mobile charger which you recharge at home so you can charge your phone in the forest.

Don't speed. The police always stand with radars between stages and the fines for speeding in Finland are high.

Have fun!

Feel free to fill in.
    Last edited by Hasselhoax; 21st June 2017 at 09:07.

2. Likes: AnttiL (21st June 2017),jparker (21st June 2017),TWRC (22nd June 2017)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasselhoax View Post
    This year the ittenary is very nice and allows to watch one double-run stage in the morning-midday and one more in the afternoon with time for a (real) lunch break in between, since they run something like 3 double stages before lunch and 3 in the afternoon which is very nice..
    This is on friday. Saturday is run as 2x4 stages but the stages are run in different order on the second loop so there's 8 hours between the two runs of Pihlajakoski and Päijälä, 5 hours between the two Ouninpohjas. Saalahti is the last stage of the first loop and the first stage of the last loop so that's probably the only double stage you can take advantage of realistically

Liked 63 Times in 23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pantealex View Post
    Entry update.

5. Likes: pantealex (22nd June 2017)
    Liked 1,389 Times in 447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasselhoax View Post
    Some small tips to first visitors:
    The designated spots are sometimes ok but sometimes very, very bad and my personal view is that organizers should instead mark out places which are a absolute no-go (plus outside of corners of course) and then let people spread out. I've been in very safe spots and been chased away because it was "not behind the ribbon"...
    Some very good points there. About official spectating points, it's good to realize organizers must place official areas in line with Finnish safety legistation/standards/whatnot - meaning for example that there must be a driveable escape road to the official area. This absolutely narrows down a lot of options and means a lot of offical areas are in junctions.

Good thing is that in Rally Finland spectating is no way limited to official areas only. Marshalls are keen to hush you away from the road after one hour before the first car, but then again marshalls are not everywhere and if you behave well, most of them are easy to co-operate with. Of course there are absurd examples when spectators have not been allowed in some safe spots, and then again every year spectarors themselves must marshall first timers away from dangerous places, like I did last year on the second run of Surkee stage where one spectators wanted to spectate on the spot where Jon Armstrong destroyed his car on the first run.

One yearly debate is always also about mosquitos and horseflies. :-) We do monitor the situation closely and do our best to eliminate excess before the event :-) This year summer is three weeks late compared to last year and 1-2 weeks late compared to average, so probably more mosquitos this time around.
    Photos: rallirinki.kuvat.fi | Twitter: @HartusvuoriWRC

7. Likes: cali (22nd June 2017),Hasselhoax (22nd June 2017),pantealex (22nd June 2017),Rallyper (22nd June 2017),satnav (22nd June 2017)
    Liked 784 Times in 390 Posts
    Any tips on keeping the damn mosquitos away? My wife and I had dozens of bites last year even when using mosquito spray. Is there some Finnish secret sauce we can apply?

Liked 668 Times in 285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by racerx1979 View Post
    Any tips on keeping the damn mosquitos away? My wife and I had dozens of bites last year even when using mosquito spray. Is there some Finnish secret sauce we can apply?
    Finnish special sauce = Beer. Drink six pack, you don't care about mosquitos anymore.

10. Likes: cali (22nd June 2017)
    Liked 784 Times in 390 Posts
    I drank plenty of scotch last year and will continue to do so this year. I think I'll be buying one of those mosquito hats we wear in Australia

Liked 40 Times in 17 Posts
    Bens 100 is quite effective for mosquitos. You can google if you can get it where you are.

Liked 1,091 Times in 489 Posts
    The most effective weapon against mosquitos is ... your hand. Using your hand instead of chemicals also produces greater good to the temporary international community in the Finnish forests as the population of mosquitos may be drastically reduced.
    Never stop dreaming because one day it might happen.

Liked 23 Times in 8 Posts
    This works very well. You light it on fire and let it smoke. No real chance of starting a fire.

If you by chance find a deodorant from the same manufacturers then use that. It's the best thing ever. I covered myself in that while in the armed forces in Finland.