Page 22 of 138 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122 ... LastLast
    Liked 784 Times in 390 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by satnav View Post
    I ordered one last night the order acknowledgment said order is moved to processing and that i'd get an email today with instructions to login , i'm still waiting .... last year i was able to download it as soon as i had paid.....if anyone else orders it let me know how you get on.
    How is this different from any other rally guide? Isn't that IOS app the same thing?

Liked 144 Times in 49 Posts
    NEWBIE ALERT!!!!!.....I know how irritating those who are new to any sport can be, so if you don't want to be irritated, please skip this post.......

I can feel a huge sense of anticipation for Rally Finland. Please tell me as much as you choose to as to why this seems to be such a special rally.

Liked 78 Times in 34 Posts
    I'm highly biased, since I have lived most of my life in Jyväskylä. I've been on the stages here since early 1970's. Seen almost every rally car here.

I have visited most of the other WRC events on Europe. Even the proper RAC rally. I have seen 500+ WRC stages live.

Still I'm having goosebumbs just thinking about Ouninpohja in 2 weeks time.

These roads are made for rally cars. Now one of the biggest car manufacturers makes rallycars in my hometown.

If You want to see the rally cars in their natural habitat You need to come here.
    "San Romolo opettaa"

4. Likes: Munkvy (16th July 2017),OldF (20th July 2017),pantealex (16th July 2017),ruesluporp (16th July 2017),satnav (16th July 2017),sonnybobiche (16th July 2017)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by racerx1979 View Post
    How is this different from any other rally guide? Isn't that IOS app the same thing?
    the app does not have the instructions for parking etc. yet, only just before the rally starts.

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Well said jiipee64
    Quote Originally Posted by jiipee64 View Post
    These roads are made for rally cars.
    Just to make sure: not literally made for rally cars, the roads are in everyday use throughout the year, but they are like they were made for rally cars.

For most gravel event stages the average speed is 100 km/h at most, whereas in Finland it can be even over 130 km/h.

Also the crests and corners where the cars jump sideways... I think this video from last year shows it best https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeeV06bmTfs

7. Likes: jiipee64 (16th July 2017),pantealex (16th July 2017),Revman (16th July 2017),tommeke_B (16th July 2017)
    Liked 3,476 Times in 1,016 Posts
    Finland has something special that you can't find in any other event, indeed. It's one of the few events where you have the feeling that the rally is the highlight of the year for everyone. In most events locals don't care about the rally and are sometimes even a bit annoyed by it. In Finland it's different and the sport seems much more respected. Even along the road sections you will see quite a number of people (mostly locals) along the road, watching the cars and often waiving some Finnish flags. And indeed, the rally takes place on everyday roads for Finnish people. If I'm not mistaken Ruuhimaki (used for shakedown) is part of a bus-route (public transport). On top of that the stages are probably the most exciting of all for both drivers and codrivers. I think in Sardinia or Poland (for example) it's easier to drive descent times if not everything is 100% right (in terms of pacenotes and setup of the car). Poland is very difficult as well on some sections, but in general there's some bigger margin for error, and the corners don't follow each other that quick. In Finland you must be very confident to be quick. More than in other events the corners/crests are somehow connected to each other, you have to look like 3 corners ahead to know the perfect approach. On many places you see drivers placing the cars sideways before the corner, before they can actually see the corner. My explanation is probably not the best. The best way to find out is by attending the event, and also by driving some of the stages yourself.

On a side-note, for all people who visit Finland. I haven't seen it in this thread here (maybe it was but then I've looked over it). There's a great rallyradio in Finland (if not the best in the world). The frequency is 99.3MHz. They have a great speaker with perfect English, good info about the event, stage times, stage end interviews etc. But also important, info when for example car parks are full, when there are big traffic jams etc. So besides giving all info about what's going on with the drivers, the rally radio can avoid some personal issues as well.

9. Likes: AnttiL (16th July 2017),br21 (16th July 2017),cali (16th July 2017),dimviii (16th July 2017),EstWRC (16th July 2017),jiipee64 (16th July 2017),OldF (20th July 2017),pantealex (16th July 2017),Revman (16th July 2017),satnav (16th July 2017)
    WRC drivers are aliens! ruesluporp's Avatar
    Liked 64 Times in 31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    the app does not have the instructions for parking etc. yet, only just before the rally starts.
    The IOS App (and Android App as well) will give instructions for parkings, access roads, restrooms, trash bins, entrance and public viewspots... but not before July, 25th!

Liked 208 Times in 109 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by racerx1979 View Post
    This is the Rally Programme.......the apps don't load the maps until the 25th

Quote Originally Posted by tommeke_B View Post
    Finland has something special that you can't find in any other event, indeed. It's one of the few events where you have the feeling that the rally is the highlight of the year for everyone. In most events locals don't care about the rally and are sometimes even a bit annoyed by it. In Finland it's different and the sport seems much more respected. Even along the road sections you will see quite a number of people (mostly locals) along the road, watching the cars and often waiving some Finnish flags. And indeed, the rally takes place on everyday roads for Finnish people. If I'm not mistaken Ruuhimaki (used for shakedown) is part of a bus-route (public transport). On top of that the stages are probably the most exciting of all for both drivers and codrivers. I think in Sardinia or Poland (for example) it's easier to drive descent times if not everything is 100% right (in terms of pacenotes and setup of the car). Poland is very difficult as well on some sections, but in general there's some bigger margin for error, and the corners don't follow each other that quick. In Finland you must be very confident to be quick. More than in other events the corners/crests are somehow connected to each other, you have to look like 3 corners ahead to know the perfect approach. On many places you see drivers placing the cars sideways before the corner, before they can actually see the corner. My explanation is probably not the best. The best way to find out is by attending the event, and also by driving some of the stages yourself.

On a side-note, for all people who visit Finland. I haven't seen it in this thread here (maybe it was but then I've looked over it). There's a great rallyradio in Finland (if not the best in the world). The frequency is 99.3MHz. They have a great speaker with perfect English, good info about the event, stage times, stage end interviews etc. But also important, info when for example car parks are full, when there are big traffic jams etc. So besides giving all info about what's going on with the drivers, the rally radio can avoid some personal issues as well.
    Thank you. Fabulous response.

Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Well said jiipee64

Just to make sure: not literally made for rally cars, the roads are in everyday use throughout the year, but they are like they were made for rally cars.

For most gravel event stages the average speed is 100 km/h at most, whereas in Finland it can be even over 130 km/h.

Also the crests and corners where the cars jump sideways... I think this video from last year shows it best https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeeV06bmTfs

Just fabulous.