Page 30 of 138 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080130 ... LastLast
    Liked 1,878 Times in 734 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mufcAleksi View Post
    I'd also like some footage from 2011 Laukaa, I don't understand how there's nothing on Youtube from that stage other than Matti Rantanen's crash
    This one gives you a little bit better perspective than the organizer recce video at least
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u438jqZQ5kw&t=440s
    "Die with memories, not with dreams" Scott McIsaac
    http://www.motorsportfilmer.net

Liked 2,195 Times in 1,078 Posts
    http://www.nesterallyfinland.fi/site...raries_fix.pdf

Fixed stage closing times.

(Sorry, I don´t know which have changed)
    "quattro best 4wd rallycar ever"

Liked 3,786 Times in 1,977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dimviii View Post
    Hayden Paddon‏*@HaydenPaddon
    Final run through the pacenotes on the plane to Finland Super excited and ready for the best rally of the year @RallyFinland #paddonspack

So this is even before start of the recce and they are watching vids of stages and doing pacenotes.
    Then it's 2? runs in recce with video review each evening.
    During the rally they then watch the stages for next day each evening, at one point last year I even saw some drivers watching on mobile before the stage.
    Also big sections of the stages are run each year.

Given that each day there are about 40-50 unique stage kilometers it's totally possible to remember just about every corner, or at minimum the tricky spots where you really should not go off. (Often also in notes (don't go wide, don't cut....)

This is nothing new, I just put it here since the topic comes up again and again.
    Ref.
    - Ogier's off in Monte on Saturday saying he knew he could go off there (and people not believing)
    - Breen's stage time in Corsica on the short stage without intercom (he lost only a few s)
    - multiple "safe" offs by numerous drivers in Poland

Liked 16,087 Times in 6,980 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post

This is nothing new, I just put it here since the topic comes up again and again.
    Ref.
    - Ogier's off in Monte on Saturday saying he knew he could go off there (and people not believing)
    so you think that Ogier(or whatever driver) knew that at that corner, he could push more due to have space for error,and he knew that with this overdrive when he went out of road for 20-30 meters it was something calculated.he knew that he can go 30 meters out of road and not 15 meters with this overdrive.
    Are you serious?

5. Likes: pantealex (25th July 2017)
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hi new to the forum and my first visit to finland. Can anyone tell me if we can walk on the stages before the first car to find a suitable place to watch or are you restricted to the spectator areas?
    Thanks

Liked 307 Times in 186 Posts
    Are you serious?
    i think he is..

Liked 3,786 Times in 1,977 Posts
    so you think that Ogier(or whatever driver) knew that at that corner, he could push more due to have space for error,and he knew that with this overdrive when he went out of road for 20-30 meters it was something calculated.he knew that he can go 30 meters out of road and not 15 meters with this overdrive.
    Are you serious?
    Sorry but your post is not very coherent. I will just restate my view:

To take that specific corner in Monte he knew that the series of corners was in the open field without any deep trenches or drops and without a lot of trees on the outside, which is why he pushed just a bit more (= too much at that point). Nothing about meters here or there, just knowing where it's better to be a bit more on the safe side and where you can risk a bit. (EDIT: Maybe I now get what you ask about, obviously when there is open flat field, it doesn't matter if you go off by 15 or 30 meters, it's the information that it's less risky to go off. For comparison going off in Germany in a place with Hinkelsteins is certainly not "safe", neither is going off in Monte on a stage with 30m drop on the outside of the road)

That's something I am 100% sure off, Ogier himself said it in the finish of the stage. In addition to what I wrote about videos Ogier also comes from the area.

---------------------

Obviously it's not like drivers can remember every rock of every stage (specially on rallies like Sardinia), but remembering the main characteristics of parts of stages+risky spots. Btw. note also the stage reviews with WRC drivers on the official videos, it's not like they are reading it from a piece of paper.

Anyone who has watched 2-3 onboards from the same stage on WRC+ will remember quite a lot of the characteristics next time he watches. Note that we do it for fun over a few tens of minutes in our freetime. Professional rally drivers earn their living from fast driving, watching the stage vids to remember them is one of the easiest preparations they can do and is not limited by any testing limits or funding issues.
    Last edited by mknight; 24th July 2017 at 21:43.

9. Likes: AnttiL (24th July 2017)
    Liked 1,878 Times in 734 Posts
    Are you serious?
    Pretty sure that's exactly what he said, he knew it was a big field there

Philjakoski will catch a few people out this year, some sections are easy to get wrong in this direction, just a shame they made it so hard to get into this year.
    Last edited by SubaruNorway; 24th July 2017 at 21:39.
    "Die with memories, not with dreams" Scott McIsaac
    http://www.motorsportfilmer.net

11. Likes: pantealex (25th July 2017),satnav (24th July 2017)
    Liked 2,832 Times in 1,606 Posts
    So why don´t we discuss this and other matters on "The live Bar and Talk Discussion" session on Paviljonki Sokos Hotel Paviljonki on Thursday at 15.00 hours?? I promise I´ll be there. Maybe some of my Finnish, Norwegian and Swedish friends as well. Belgians, Greeks, French, German, whatever - just be square! Thursday 15.00 at SP Paviljonki Hotel Sokos Trattoria, outside restaurant. Maybe some beers will be changed from historical promises?
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

13. Likes: pantealex (25th July 2017)
    Liked 16,087 Times in 6,980 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    Sorry but your post is not very coherent. I will just restate my view:

To take that specific corner in Monte he knew that the series of corners was in the open field without any deep trenches or drops and without a lot of trees on the outside, which is why he pushed just a bit more (= too much at that point). Nothing about meters here or there, just knowing where it's better to be a bit more on the safe side and where you can risk a bit.
    no he didn't know anything,it was pure luck he didn't hit a rock a tree,or a spectators car.
    Same way they retire when they don't know for a cutten log or a stone at the edge of the road.Not something 5-10-20-30 meters away from road.
    Corners are thousands at every rally,its impossible to know at which corner you have the space to go out of road,how the car will go out of road(front,sideways,with back side) or how many meters will travel at grass with sideways,when you make the mistake ''due to space'' ,at which stage you will need to push etc etc etc