Page 130 of 138 FirstFirst ... 3080120128129130131132 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,300 of 1379
    Liked 558 Times in 295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve.mandzij View Post
    I don't know, Makinen could fit quite a brain in that head of his.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    Steve seriously I know this sounds pedantic or something but it is very easy to mistake experience for brains...
    I get sh!t on several US forums filled with kiddies who dream about their XR4Ti (2.3 turbo) Sierras, and their Volvo RWD cars and worst by wannabe Subie guys and many I know have never built a single engine, many never done a 1km of a Special Stage and they often say "You think you're so smart!! Whaaaaaaaaaaaa wha!"

I say "Not at all, although I know there are plaenty of people dumber than I am, I never have claimed to be smart. But even if I'm not particularly smart, I am analytical and I've been doing things like this for 40+ years....and even if you're not too smart, you are going to learn a good bit in 40 years if you are a little analytical.."

I had no doubts at all that an organisation under Tommi would be able to make 1st class rally cars....even if Tommi doesn't seem to be the brightest star in the sky because he has lots of experience at the highest levels.
    He know his strengths and he knows the skills but more important the attitudes needed in the whole staff and fortunately a fair amount of the normal grunt work stuff demands skills and attitudes readily available in Finland:.
    Grit and determination..
    so yeah he could, but he doesn't need to..
    .experience trumps brains
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

2. Likes: steve.mandzij (30th July 2017)
    Liked 839 Times in 406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by janvanvurpa View Post
    Steve seriously I know this sounds pedantic or something but it is very easy to mistake experience for brains...
    I get sh!t on several US forums filled with kiddies who dream about their XR4Ti (2.3 turbo) Sierras, and their Volvo RWD cars and worst by wannabe Subie guys and many I know have never built a single engine, many never done a 1km of a Special Stage and they often say "You think you're so smart!! Whaaaaaaaaaaaa wha!"

I say "Not at all, although I know there are plaenty of people dumber than I am, I never have claimed to be smart. But even if I'm not particularly smart, I am analytical and I've been doing things like this for 40+ years....and even if you're not too smart, you are going to learn a good bit in 40 years if you are a little analytical.."

I had no doubts at all that an organisation under Tommi would be able to make 1st class rally cars....even if Tommi doesn't seem to be the brightest star in the sky because he has lots of experience at the highest levels.
    He know his strengths and he knows the skills but more important the attitudes needed in the whole staff and fortunately a fair amount of the normal grunt work stuff demands skills and attitudes readily available in Finland:.
    Grit and determination..
    so yeah he could, but he doesn't need to..
    .experience trumps brains
    I enjoy your passion for the subject, but I was just making a joke because of Tommi's big head

4. Likes: sonnybobiche (30th July 2017)
    Liked 1,170 Times in 791 Posts
    I enjoy your passion for the subject, but I was just making a joke because of Tommi's big head
    You do know people effectively use only 10% of their physical brain, right? Proportion doesn't matter much.
    "With that car, your brain can actually never keep up"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4IRMYuE1hI

Liked 839 Times in 406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stefanvv View Post
    You do know people effectively use only 10% of their physical brain, right? Proportion doesn't matter much.
    I really didn't expect people to analyze my joke this much... Mustn't have been funny

The "joke" was that in Tommi Makinen's head there is a big brain, period. His mental capacity of experience or whatever was irrelevant, okay?

The "joke" was that in Tommi Makinen's head there is a big brain, period. His mental capacity of experience or whatever was irrelevant, okay?
    Yeah I understand that, but still that 0.3% more than other's do some job better (some other probably not), don't You think?

8. Likes: steve.mandzij (30th July 2017)
    Liked 207 Times in 129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dimviii View Post
    Suninen vs Lappi
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqw8xV9btLs

Lappi has less flamboyant style,more Loebish style I would say.
    apart from maybe two places(where suninen slides the car(a little )more than Lappi i really cannot extract from this video any kind of conclusions about their driving styles.
    fb page
    bring back acropolis rally to wrc calendar

Are you sure about that? Nice myth that has been around for 100 years or so but...https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...-their-brains/
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

11. Likes: nafpaktos (31st July 2017)

OK I get you, its just there's so much BS yack and ironically so much Sh1t-talk for more than 10 years from some person who works in science who seems completely clueless about his total lack of real knowledge about anything connected with rally...and who clearly doesn't understand the role experience plays---since he has NOT ever had any experience..and despite his own evidence of 10+ years of his groundless opinions based on mouth and what he so conceited thinks is brain-power, he misses that giant error in his thinking: he has zero experience..

And if Tommi has a "big head" in any meaning, I say he earned the right.

Heja Tommi! Heja Toyota, and above all HEJA FINLAND!
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

13. Likes: steve.mandzij (31st July 2017)
    Quote Originally Posted by janvanvurpa View Post
    Are you sure about that? Nice myth that has been around for 100 years or so but...https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...-their-brains/
    Of course not. That's the official statement from whoever that is. 20 years ago it was 15% (IIRC), so are the people getting dumper, or the medicine (supposedly) getting more advance is anyone's guess. And on what basis they have even calculated that?!? As the article says it (the brain) is very complex thing, there are few parts of it (with different functions and purpose) interacting together with unknown influence over each other. How can one even put some correct numbers on it, when we're even uncertain of our own origin?!? Darwin's theory doesn't fit though....
    Last edited by stefanvv; 31st July 2017 at 00:25.

Of course not. That's the official statement from whoever that is. 20 years ago it was 15% (IIRC), so are the people getting dumper, or the medicine (supposedly) getting more advance is anyone's guess. And on what basis they have even calculated that?!? As the article says it (the brain) is very complex thing, there are few parts of it (with different functions and purpose) interacting together with unknown influence over each other. How can one even put some correct numbers on it, when we're even uncertain of our own origin?!? Darwin's theory doesn't fit though....
    Only a little off topic--since we're talking about Tommi's brain and the remarkable results of the Toyotas----here's a fascinating essay on the brainand its function and where we --well those rich enough---may be going..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homo_D...ry_of_Tomorrow
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat