I posted something similar on the CC forum, and I´m also interested in hearing you guys and your opinion on who is watching IRL today.

Someone said on the CC forum on the "What do you like about Champ Car?" thread that Champ Car has no rednecks, this was of course a direct reference to NASCAR.
I will have to disagree with the concept of NASCAR beeing a redneck sport, not because I´m a a genius, or because I have tons of information oon demographics and ratings, but because many writers (not only sports writers), editorialists and commentators have noted that NASCAR is not the redneck sport of the past, that according to ratings it is almost as mainstream as football, and yes, it´s true that in the big metropolis (LA, NY, Chicago, etc) they are not very popular, but they do hace the attention of almost everyone else, but this is a discussion for another thread, perhaps a different forum.
While reading the comment of "no rednecks", I had to ask myself, who is the average open Wheel(IRL and CC) fan then?, I´m not talking about the average fan in the whole world, lets concentrate in the US where the majority of fans of IRL are concentrated.
It´s true that in Europe and South America the average racing fan (F1, Rally, MotoGP, etc, etc) is from the upper middle class or higher, they are normally well educated and have a great cultural knowledge (at least for my standard, I live in a country with an average education of 7th grade and collega graduates are consider very fortunate citizens), but in the US there is this conception that there are 2 classes of racing fans, Open Wheel fans and Stock Car fans.
Stock Car fans are consider uneducated, working class, whiter than white rednecks form the southwest, while Open Wheel fans are highly educated, above average wealth, college degree from big cities fans.
Thing is, I don´t remember CART (presplit era) beeing that big in NY, Chicago, LA areas in their best years, and we had a lot of fans there, and supposedly many of the fans we had stop watching OWR because of the split and started watching NASCAR, if they are rednecks now they were rednecks then.
Of course I could be wrong, that´s why I´m posting this topic, I´m interested in your points of view, both forums are full of members with a lot of knowledge.
So, what is your take on this guys?