Page 1 of 88 1231151 ... LastLast
    Liked 233 Times in 115 Posts

Tour De Course 2017

Chaps, I am not sure if a thread on this year’s Tour De Course already exists, but I did a lot of searching, both using the search facilities and manually (went up to page 10 on the WRC section) and did not find one, so I decided to start such thread. Nevertheless, if I was too keen and have missed it, I would be happy to re-post in the correct place and for this thread to be deleted.

So here is what I wanted to start with - I am thinking about visiting one of the European rounds of the WRC and as the nearest is Tour De Course, I am considering visiting this one in order to grab some snapshots of the interesting technical details on the cars. If I go, I am intending to be there before the rally starts, say arrive Wednesday morning and maybe stay until Friday afternoon – does this sound sensible for what I would like to do, i.e. see the cars in the service park in Bastia Airport and take my snapshots? Any help is welcome.

Liked 3,776 Times in 1,679 Posts
    To your question, I dont think this is the best race for your idea. Everything is mainly because of schedule of the rally. On Thursday morning they are doing shakedown and just after shake, each cars are put to trucks or on trailer and transported to Ajaccio (other side of island). They will be there in parc ferme (with short break of ceremonial start). On Friday morning they starts and return to Bastia service on Friday evening.

So for you only chance to see the cars with more details is Wednesday... I think there are much better events for your "job"...

Thanks Pluto, I see, so technically if I decide to go I can fly back on Thursday afternoon, as there will be nothing to see there on Friday morning. So the question now is if Wednesday and Thursday morning is enough for what I want to do. It might be if the cars are accessible on Wednesday.
    The reason I quite like Corsica is that the cars will be in full on “race” trim, while during my next opportunity Portugal, they will be in gravel spec, though as I don’t know how much of the aero configuration changes between these two specs, it might not matter at all if I choose a gravel or tarmac rally.

Liked 1,389 Times in 447 Posts
    This raise a question too, how come you are so interested in seeing cars in detail, yet not interested in seeing them driven in anger?

Service park is not always the best place to have a closer look on the cars. With some extra caution - and luck - you might get a closer look as the cars queue for stage time control (shakedown might be the best for this). Also ceremonial start, I don't know how it is in Corsica, but if you go "behind" the settings, the cars must queue for the start ramp and you might get a good, closer look. Then again, of course, at service park, you get a better overview if some cars are on jacks without wheels and so on.
    Photos: rallirinki.kuvat.fi | Twitter: @HartusvuoriWRC

5. Likes: A FONDO (7th March 2017),pantealex (7th March 2017),tommeke_B (7th March 2017),WRC1 (7th March 2017)
    Thanks Hartusvuori, it is simply because I am way more interested in the technical details than watching the cars drive round small portion of the course (I still watch the TV coverage). In my life, I have watched plenty of cars rallying and racing (I attended my first rally way back at 1984) and also can’t devote more than one or two days to this activity.
    Nevertheless, you correctly pointed out that at service park, the cars are up in the air or in bits so I can see a lot of detail, which is why I will be heading there if I go to a rally this year.
    Last edited by NickRally; 7th March 2017 at 09:36.

7. Likes: Hartusvuori (7th March 2017),Leon (8th March 2017)
    Liked 1,090 Times in 488 Posts
    Isn't the view rather limited at the service park - not close and nearly only rear view?
    Never stop dreaming because one day it might happen.

Liked 2,261 Times in 892 Posts
    I guess the earlier you arrive at service park there is also a chance the cars are covered up? Or no rear bumper - dummy wheels/tyres etc. Seems a long way to travel for that.

Best times I've found to get the cars are regroups/holding areas, and/or on the way into stages:

Untitled by Richard Simpson, on Flickr
    Untitled by Richard Simpson, on Flickr
    Last edited by Simmi; 7th March 2017 at 10:57.
    RS Motorsport Media - Follow me on Instagram: rsmotorsportmedia

Thanks for the advice guys, keep them coming, all taken on board

Liked 2,195 Times in 1,078 Posts
    It´s much more easier to see details of gravel-spec car.
    -higher from ground
    -suspension parts more visible
    -dampers visible
    -smaller brakes, easier to see things behind those disc

Catalonia could be best rally to see details, that service where they change setup from tarmac to gravel (or vice verso)
    they take so much things away from cars...
    "quattro best 4wd rallycar ever"

All good points, this may just sway my choice to Portugal (Spain feels too far down the line).