Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Aston Martin being disrupting influence in Formula 1 engine talks

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13...1-engine-talks

looking more like redbull may have Aston Martin as engine supplier in 2021

"If we do an engine, we won't do it by ourselves. We'll start now to look for partners.

"That's a partnership from a technical point of view and from a manufacturing point of view.

"We are starting that study now in parallel to the machination of the regulations."
    "We understand what we're getting into. I'm a powertrain engineer originally and we have two highly professional F1 engineers, we have Red Bull behind us."

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13...-f1-brainpower
    Aston staff recruits with F1 'brainpower' include Ferrari personnel
    Aston Martin has recruited staff with Formula 1 experience, including personnel from Ferrari, as it continues to evaluating entering the championship as an engine supplier.

The British manufacturer will become Red Bull Racing's title sponsor in 2018 as part of an enhanced relationship that has already yielded the Valkyrie hypercar.

Aston is taking a close interest in F1's 2021 engine rules but president and CEO Andy Palmer has said costs need to be kept under control for the project to be viable.

Red Bull boss Christian Horner has said his team is "absolutely open" to running an Aston Martin engine if it decides to pursue the project.
    VERSTAPPEN: ‘If I’d let Sainz past, dad would’ve kicked me in the nuts!’

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    https://nesn.com/2018/01/engine-make...on-f1-program/
    Engine Maker Cosworth Wants To Partner With Aston Martin On F1 Program

Aston Martin entered F1 in 2016 by joining forces with Red Bull Racing — which is aiding in the development of the Valkyrie hypercar — and it strengthened those ties ahead of 2018, signing on as Red Bull’s title sponsor. The British automaker has said its interested in becoming a power unit supplier, and has been approached by various manufacturers, reportedly including Cosworth.

“We would like to work with that partnership,” Wood told Motorsport.com. “We’ve done a lot of work with Aston for many years, we’re working very closely with Red Bull and the team for the Valkyrie, so there’s a certain logic to it.”
    VERSTAPPEN: ‘If I’d let Sainz past, dad would’ve kicked me in the nuts!’

Liked 1,053 Times in 594 Posts
    I thought Cosworth said "no" to returning to F1? There engine was in the back of some truly putrid outfits the last time out.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    I am not sure how to categorize the Aston Martin bid to enter F1. They say they would not be building the engine themselves thus they would not really be a engine manufacturer but a team sponsor sourcing an engine from a third party. Not much different than Tag Heuer and the Renault engine really, but incidentally, a car manufacturers. Hence, l don't think they have as big a shout as Honda for instance. However, it would be nice to see the brand on the grid.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    I am not sure how to categorize the Aston Martin bid to enter F1. They say they would not be building the engine themselves thus they would not really be a engine manufacturer but a team sponsor sourcing an engine from a third party.
    Exactly how Mercedes reentered F1 in the 1990s of course. I'm sure Mario Illien is waiting for a call!

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    Exactly how Mercedes reentered F1 in the 1990s of course. I'm sure Mario Illien is waiting for a call!
    Near but not quite. Mario helped Mercedes design and build their engine. Aston is outsourcing all of it to a 3rd party. Hence, if corsworth decide not to get involved with F1, Aston Martin would have to find another source.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    Near but not quite. Mario helped Mercedes design and build their engine.
    I don't think that's quite right is it? Mercedes started out by putting their badge on the existing Ilmor engine from what I recall.