Page 136 of 143 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,360 of 1426
    Liked 24 Times in 13 Posts
    Sonnybobiche probably made at least one good point. Rallies are losing fans and media interest (based on my observations)

I do not have statistical data, but is it not rally Poland (along with perhaps very few other rallies) that is not losing fans and media interest? Based on my observations again - crowds of You guys, people from abroad are getting bigger and bigger every year. This year, for the first time in my life, I had a feeling that there are less Poles then foreigners.

As Sonnybobiche wrote earlier, but in other words. Ask yourself guys - What brought You here? Great stages or the opportunity to feel almost like group B emotions?

Safety first and above all attitude won't stop the trend (rallies less popular then before). IMHO there must be some golden medium between safety and lets call it emotions otherwise rallies will be just a niche in 10 to 20 years.

2. Likes: sonnybobiche (5th July 2017)
    Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    The fact that rallying keeps loosing interested is related to the global changes in the population and the perception of cars and motorsport as a whole. Young people generally aren't very interested in cars or motorbikes like our fathers were. Today large majority of people don't understand a shit about cars. They buy them as a means of transport not as a part of the lifestyle like it used to be. It will get only worse with more and more automization and electronics inside them, the heavier and more restricted traffic etc.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

4. Likes: AnttiL (5th July 2017),cali (5th July 2017),Mintexmemory (5th July 2017),pantealex (6th July 2017),PLuto (6th July 2017)
    Liked 290 Times in 113 Posts
    But what is driving the trend in the perception of cars and motorsport? Well, one thing is probably super boring car design since the mid 2000s. But as far as the perception of motorsport, maybe kids these days are bored by it because a lot of it is really boring, because it's been sanitized to death. That is certainly true of F1 and virtually anything the FIA touches.

One motorsport that is definitely growing year on year, however, is MotoGP. Heck, I watch it and I don't even like motorcycles. The riders are gladiators. Everyone can see them doing their thing on the bike, not increasingly cocooned like in F1. There are big injuries literally all the time, yet no one complains it's unsafe. No safety car. Bike crashes, race keeps going while marshals take it away. Lots of teams and a big number of bikes in every race. Lots of upcoming young talented kids, with a direct path into the sport. No pay drivers. Talent is what's rewarded. Is it a coincidence that it's not run by FIA?
    Last edited by sonnybobiche; 5th July 2017 at 17:42.

Liked 784 Times in 390 Posts
    Interesting debate. I can see both sides even though I agree safety should be number one. This becomes even more important if you've ever competed in an event.

I recently spectated rally Australia last year and it was the biggest shit show. The spectating areas were the in worst locations. All straights or extremely slow corners. Was so boring we didn't even go on the last day and we won't be going back unless they sort things out. Finland on the other hand was extremely well organized. The spectators areas had plenty of room and some locations were perfect with jumps, crests etc. You just need to get in early since you're competing with shit loads of people for good spots haha.

Obviously there were serious issues with spectators in Poland. I've seen a ton of videos where people were standing at the edges of the road in a high speed section. You have to remember people get extremely excited and want to be close to the action... it's human nature, but in Finland they had several marshalls to control the crowds. It was obviously a combination of bad organization and crazy fans. In Finland my wife and I were at spectating area and an old gentleman was walking by and said "you know the cars are coming from the other direction? You should move across unless you want to get squished and pierced by carbon fiber and metal" we laughed and walked across because like a dummy I had no idea which way the cars were running. We ended up warning a few other spectators in the same manner and all was good.

In short what I'm saying is just go to Rally Finland (I'm going back because I'm dying to see the 2017 cars) and have all the other rally organizers learn from one the of the best spectator friendly rallies IMO.

Liked 9,312 Times in 4,938 Posts
    World Rallycross is also growing even though there are no driver's being injured and fans are safe in their stands..

Can we get this straight - increasing danger to anyone is not the way to grow rallying.

8. Likes: AnttiL (5th July 2017),macebig (5th July 2017),pantealex (6th July 2017)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    I wouldn't mind if Rally Poland was dropped and replaced with Rally New Zealand as a second fast gravel rally.

10. Likes: AndyRAC (5th July 2017),Arnold Triyudho Wardono (5th July 2017),pantealex (6th July 2017)
    I love rallycross, but spectating at rallies is an experience which is so different from the traditional: sit in the stands and watch type of motorsport. I also think this is what hurts rally. Most people do not want to hike even 1km to find a spot and wait for a car to go by once maybe twice. I feel this is why organizers are trying to do fancy super special stages to attract crowds. Similar to what Mexico did even though it resulted in canceled stages etc. Watching live is also great, but I recently tried to get a friend into WRC and he laughed when I told
    him to get WRC+ for a fee... just one example

12. Likes: cali (5th July 2017)
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    I wouldn't mind if Rally Poland was dropped and replaced with Rally New Zealand as a second fast gravel rally.
    Well New Zealand was already in the cards and I think Poland just handed it to them

Liked 26 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
    I think this sort of thing happens and 10 times worse every day on WRC road sections. That camera card guy looked like he was trying to wave him out onto the road but did a sh*t job.
    It would help if they didn't drive like, well rally drivers, between stages. Nearly got front ended by Tanak in Wales last year overtaking on a bend.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    The fact that rallying keeps loosing interested is related to the global changes in the population and the perception of cars and motorsport as a whole. Young people generally aren't very interested in cars or motorbikes like our fathers were. Today large majority of people don't understand a shit about cars. They buy them as a means of transport not as a part of the lifestyle like it used to be. It will get only worse with more and more automization and electronics inside them, the heavier and more restricted traffic etc.
    I don't think this is entirely true. In example the simracing scene is growing quite fast. Dirt 4 just came out and is possibly the best rally sim ever made. Also other sims - Asetto Corsa, rFactor, iRacing and so on. So the interest is there, it's just different. I would like the idea that in the future there be more cheap trackday cars and entry level rally cars for to much broader audience to enjoy themselves. Automated cars in traffic sounds logical, driving a supercar on a street is just silly, ofcourse the custom culture won't go anywhere.