Page 126 of 130 FirstFirst ... 2676116124125126127128 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,260 of 1291
    Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts
    Glad you and others were there. Indeed a scary looking thing especially with a small car like an Adam and people ask me why I don't like to stand anywhere near a bump in the road like that when spectating/taking pictures!

Chris

Liked 437 Times in 242 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dupanton View Post
    Something I forgot to mention in my "report". Talked to several groups of French spectators. They all seemed to hate Ogier... He is really not popular in France I think.
    Well he accused Loeb of not playing fair and left Citroen to crush them with a german car... and now again with english/american one.

Perhaps extra reason to come back to Citroen and rescue them

Liked 132 Times in 65 Posts
    The biggest group in Germany was the Thierry fan club crew. Hundreds of them walking around with hats and shirts.

Tanak fans are always in full effect and the most entertaining with their viking blow horns and large flags. It's always nice to see spectators from all over the world so passionately involved.

4. Likes: bf1_IRL (22nd August 2017),Rally Power (22nd August 2017),smokingjoe (22nd August 2017)
    Liked 1,102 Times in 528 Posts
    Something I forgot to mention in my "report". Talked to several groups of French spectators. They all seemed to hate Ogier... He is really not popular in France I think.
    Hate is maybe a too strong word, but there’s no doubt that Loeb is much more popular than Ogier in France. The reason is simple: VW is locally considered as the biggest menace to the French car industry and the huge number of jobs it generates. Besides, there was a strong national pride from Loeb being a dominant driver in WRC at the wheel of a French car, and Ogier was seen as his successor. His leave to VW was a big shock and many still see it as a betrayal...anyway, that’s why is not hard to believe that Ogier will try to get back to Citroen before ending his career: he needs the love and recognition of his ‘Cocorico’ compatriots!
    Rally addict since 1982

Liked 3,142 Times in 1,717 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Power View Post
    Hate is maybe a too strong word, but there’s no doubt that Loeb is much more popular than Ogier in France. The reason is simple: VW is locally considered as the biggest menace to the French car industry and the huge number of jobs it generates. Besides, there was a strong national pride from Loeb being a dominant driver in WRC at the wheel of a French car, and Ogier was seen as his successor. His leave to VW was a big shock and many still see it as a betrayal...anyway, that’s why is not hard to believe that Ogier will try to get back to Citroen before ending his career: he needs the love and recognition of his ‘Cocorico’ compatriots!
    Interesting info.

Funny, I started to think of Ogier as German when he was with VW. To me he just seemed to lose any Frenchness with that ultra-professionalism that the team had...

7. Likes: A FONDO (26th August 2017)
    Liked 496 Times in 221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Power View Post
    The people I talked too, really hated him. Mainly for the things he says about other drivers, mainly Loeb.
    www.wrcpickem.weebly.com

9. Likes: KKS (22nd August 2017)
    Liked 567 Times in 311 Posts
    The people I talked too, really hated him. Mainly for the things he says about other drivers, mainly Loeb.
    Now that's interesting - this forum has a number of anti- Ogier members, the main reason being his perceive 'moaning'. I can't recall him criticising other drivers or bad mouthing Loeb. However, if the French are getting their info from the French sports press then I wouldn't be surprised. L'Equipe especially is a journal that never let's the facts get in the way of the story they want to publish. Remember which country invented chauvinism!
    Kris Meeke on Fire -VW so terrified they quit!

Liked 83 Times in 51 Posts
    I've also heard multiple times (also in person by a couple of French fans) that Ogier is not that popular in France, generally speaking. But in my opinion it has much less to do with the "French driver who betrays a French manufacturer to go to a German one" and more to do with Ogier simply having a not very likeable personality, at least compared to Loeb.

12. Likes: dimviii (22nd August 2017),er88 (22nd August 2017),KKS (22nd August 2017),pantealex (22nd August 2017),tommeke_B (22nd August 2017)
    Liked 6,977 Times in 3,256 Posts

14. Likes: Andre Oliveira (22nd August 2017),KKS (22nd August 2017),Munkvy (22nd August 2017),pantealex (23rd August 2017)
    Liked 1,102 Times in 528 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by focus206 View Post
    I've also heard multiple times (also in person by a couple of French fans) that Ogier is not that popular in France, generally speaking. But in my opinion it has much less to do with the "French driver who betrays a French manufacturer to go to a German one" and more to do with Ogier simply having a not very likeable personality, at least compared to Loeb.
    The ‘anti Ogier’ wave only started after he leaved Citroen; when he was there many found entertaining to see him challenging Loeb and praised Quesnel for not imposing team orders, which later became fatal for both him and Ogier.

Anyway, the local antipathy over Ogier will certainly go away once Ogier starts winning again on a Citroen…
    Rally addict since 1982