Page 126 of 129 FirstFirst ... 2676116124125126127128 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,260 of 1287
    Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dupanton View Post
    Something I forgot to mention in my "report". Talked to several groups of French spectators. They all seemed to hate Ogier... He is really not popular in France I think.
    Hate is maybe a too strong word, but there’s no doubt that Loeb is much more popular than Ogier in France. The reason is simple: VW is locally considered as the biggest menace to the French car industry and the huge number of jobs it generates. Besides, there was a strong national pride from Loeb being a dominant driver in WRC at the wheel of a French car, and Ogier was seen as his successor. His leave to VW was a big shock and many still see it as a betrayal...anyway, that’s why is not hard to believe that Ogier will try to get back to Citroen before ending his career: he needs the love and recognition of his ‘Cocorico’ compatriots!
    Rally addict since 1982

Liked 9,258 Times in 4,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Power View Post
    Hate is maybe a too strong word, but there’s no doubt that Loeb is much more popular than Ogier in France. The reason is simple: VW is locally considered as the biggest menace to the French car industry and the huge number of jobs it generates. Besides, there was a strong national pride from Loeb being a dominant driver in WRC at the wheel of a French car, and Ogier was seen as his successor. His leave to VW was a big shock and many still see it as a betrayal...anyway, that’s why is not hard to believe that Ogier will try to get back to Citroen before ending his career: he needs the love and recognition of his ‘Cocorico’ compatriots!
    Interesting info.

Funny, I started to think of Ogier as German when he was with VW. To me he just seemed to lose any Frenchness with that ultra-professionalism that the team had...

3. Likes: A FONDO (26th August 2017)
    Liked 1,472 Times in 572 Posts
    The people I talked too, really hated him. Mainly for the things he says about other drivers, mainly Loeb.

5. Likes: KKS (22nd August 2017)
    Liked 802 Times in 437 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dupanton View Post
    The people I talked too, really hated him. Mainly for the things he says about other drivers, mainly Loeb.
    Now that's interesting - this forum has a number of anti- Ogier members, the main reason being his perceive 'moaning'. I can't recall him criticising other drivers or bad mouthing Loeb. However, if the French are getting their info from the French sports press then I wouldn't be surprised. L'Equipe especially is a journal that never let's the facts get in the way of the story they want to publish. Remember which country invented chauvinism!
    Kris Meeke got fired -PSG so terrified they quit!

Liked 832 Times in 380 Posts
    I've also heard multiple times (also in person by a couple of French fans) that Ogier is not that popular in France, generally speaking. But in my opinion it has much less to do with the "French driver who betrays a French manufacturer to go to a German one" and more to do with Ogier simply having a not very likeable personality, at least compared to Loeb.

8. Likes: dimviii (22nd August 2017),er88 (22nd August 2017),KKS (22nd August 2017),pantealex (22nd August 2017),tommeke_B (22nd August 2017)
    Liked 16,087 Times in 6,980 Posts

10. Likes: Andre Oliveira (22nd August 2017),KKS (22nd August 2017),Munkvy (22nd August 2017),pantealex (23rd August 2017)
    Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by focus206 View Post
    I've also heard multiple times (also in person by a couple of French fans) that Ogier is not that popular in France, generally speaking. But in my opinion it has much less to do with the "French driver who betrays a French manufacturer to go to a German one" and more to do with Ogier simply having a not very likeable personality, at least compared to Loeb.
    The ‘anti Ogier’ wave only started after he leaved Citroen; when he was there many found entertaining to see him challenging Loeb and praised Quesnel for not imposing team orders, which later became fatal for both him and Ogier.

Anyway, the local antipathy over Ogier will certainly go away once Ogier starts winning again on a Citroen…
    Rally addict since 1982

The ‘anti Ogier’ wave only started after he leaved Citroen; when he was there many found entertaining to see him challenging Loeb and praised Quesnel for not imposing team orders, which later became fatal for both him and Ogier.

Anyway, the local antipathy over Ogier will certainly go away once Ogier starts winning again on a Citroen…
    Hmm I'd say it started when the public "got to know him better" = when he started his moaning, in his Citroen Junior Team years he didn't have many reflectors pointing at him nor he was fighting for championships. In my opinion you value too much this sense of patriotism, plenty of fans (including myself) don't care much about the little flags on the side windows of the cars. If Ogier moves to Citroen he'll for sure win back some French fans (and obviously Citroen fans who cheer for Citroen no matter the drivers) but if he won't change his attitude I doubt that many fans will think "I don't like him but he's French".

Quote Originally Posted by logic View Post
    quite stupid to be angry he left a team to go to another one. But in all fairness, he does not have a like-able personality like Loeb? Loeb has no personality and is very mono toned and serious all the time.
    I'm not saying Loeb has a particular or exciting personality, it's rather "neutral" as you say, I'm saying that many fans believe Ogier doesn't have a very likeable one.

14. Likes: dimviii (22nd August 2017),logic (22nd August 2017)
    Liked 1,389 Times in 447 Posts
    This was our sixth consecutive visit to Rally Germany, so I think it's safe to say we really like this event. I would rate this visit as the second best - as nothing will challenge the what-the-fakkedness of 2014. We appreciated the new HQ and liked the fact of having new stages to recce for runki places.

We arrived early Tuesday. We recced three stages and visired shakedown recce start. On Wednesday we did Mosel stages as well as Losheim, Wadern und Freisen + rerun of Römerstrasse. On Römerstrasse we noticed a junction to a main road that made a jump. There were marks of a recce crash on the ditch. Later we learned crews were stopped at the junction and they queued to cross for the mainroad. This must've made it difficult for getting the pacenote correct. This proved correct on Saturday as two Adams rolled and four cars managed to shoot over the ditch without rolling. Highly entertaining place with over a minute view of the cars, four runki places, a bar, a live band and a swimming pool. This will be a future crowd pleaser.

On Thursday we sneaked 1 km into shakedown to two muddy and slippery corners. It was faster than expected and thus very nice. A few moments from Bonato and Pieniazek. Even if we stayed some 15 minutes walk from service park, we didn't feel like visiting it. Instead taking it easy before heading to Saarbrücken where we had a table waiting and the city stage. It might have looked utterly pointless on telly, but live amidst a crowd of thousands, a bit tipsy, it was full on entertainment. I like laps on city stages and many cars at one look. I did saw Meeke's runki from the distance.

Friday was the only day not that special. Mainly due to that biblical rain and secondly due to not much of action for us. We stayed at Mittelmosel. First a two times left after a long flat out section. Nothing. For second run I walked to the vineyards, but when it kept raining heavily, I chose to go for the last left in the woods where Paddon had his high speed spin last year. Nothing.

Saturday's actions I already described. We did Platte 2 shortly between Römerstrasse runs, met no traffic.

On Sunday we went to Sankt Wendeler Land to a fast right that tightened behind a bush. Our new best friend Jon Armstrong had a heavy spin and one Adam shot the field, otherwise that was it. For second pass, we parked the car at our fewo and walked to the final jump for a quick exit to the airport.

All in all very pleasant six day visit to the event. Maybe next year I would like to see some other events, but for a rallying fan, Germany is always a good option.

My friend's gallery: https://rallirinki.kuvat.fi/kuvat/Rally+Germany+2017/
    Photos: rallirinki.kuvat.fi | Twitter: @HartusvuoriWRC

16. Likes: Allez Andruet (23rd August 2017),DonJippo (23rd August 2017),EstWRC (22nd August 2017),MartijnS (23rd August 2017),pantealex (23rd August 2017),Rally Power (23rd August 2017),rallye-vid (22nd August 2017),tommeke_B (23rd August 2017)