Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    친애하는 지도자
    Liked 2,720 Times in 1,256 Posts
    again this thread should have no place in wrc section, move this garbage fast and furious talk for 16 year olds to the bar talk thread.

Liked 467 Times in 284 Posts
    This thread is right where it should be. Motorbikes are not.

Liked 643 Times in 285 Posts
    ^
    ^

4. Likes: pantealex (6th February 2017)
    Liked 140 Times in 81 Posts
    Just get another old Impreza. They don't really rust over there, right? Everything new has crummy visibility, anyway.

Liked 27 Times in 21 Posts
    There will be no homolation specials whatsoever in the future, because the rules has changed and basically, there are no need to make a 4wd road car for rallying any more. R5 are built from bare shell, N4 are dead and gone.
    So, yeah, try and get the best possible impreza or evo from japan and keep it nice and tidy.

7. Likes: Gregor-y (4th February 2017)
    Liked 558 Times in 295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregor-y View Post
    Just get another old Impreza. They don't really rust over there, right? Everything new has crummy visibility, anyway.
    Agreed..It's a smart man who realises he CAN go back and re-do something he loves and make it better..

They made a trillion GC8s, so finding a RHD shell should be easy enough, then build an engine with a steel crank instead of the junk cast iron EJ20 thing, some decent rods instead of the noodle they come with, and some pistons with a real normal dish rather than the squre, straight sided junk they come with and a decent 6 speed for the strength...and you got the basis of a decent car...A few nice afternoons stitch welding the shell so it doesn't flex itself to death and a guy could have an excellent Subie..

Why not?
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

9. Likes: smokingjoe (4th February 2017)
    Liked 388 Times in 194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by janvanvurpa View Post
    Agreed..It's a smart man who realises he CAN go back and re-do something he loves and make it better..

They made a trillion GC8s, so finding a RHD shell should be easy enough, then build an engine with a steel crank instead of the junk cast iron EJ20 thing, some decent rods instead of the noodle they come with, and some pistons with a real normal dish rather than the squre, straight sided junk they come with and a decent 6 speed for the strength...and you got the basis of a decent car...A few nice afternoons stitch welding the shell so it doesn't flex itself to death and a guy could have an excellent Subie..

Why not?
    might you be getting confused with the pile of junk ej25?
    Not a lot wrong with ej20, especially jdm spec with nitride crank etc.
    Only reason I've had mine for the last 9 years is because ej20 is more reliable than the ej25 that suffers head gasket and piston ring land failure. Decent when fully forged though.

Liked 558 Times in 295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm75 View Post
    might you be getting confused with the pile of junk ej25?
    Not a lot wrong with ej20, especially jdm spec with nitride crank etc.
    Only reason I've had mine for the last 9 years is because ej20 is more reliable than the ej25 that suffers head gasket and piston ring land failure. Decent when fully forged though.
    EEEErrrr, no.. I've been metal worker for 45+ years, built real competition motors since 1969---and car motors as work since '84.. I know what cast iron is and what it looks like when it is broken...it looks different from steel when steel is broken....seen that too..
    EJ20 crank, which we found when my friend broke his JDM STI ver4 crankshaft , is the same part number as the EJ18 cranks..Cast iron...and broke just like cast iron..
    Nitriding is a surface treatment for extended wear.
    It can be done to any ferrous material. It does not make anything tougher or more resistant to breakage, it makes it slippier, more resistance to surface wear...

But that doesn't not stop the cracks from forming which is the eternal problem of cast iron..

That's why I make steel flywheels for Volvo and ford rally use..steel...not OEM iron.

Sorry, EJ20 can and sometimes DO go good, but just for a while....

Pretty hard to confuse a 92mm piston with a giant EJ25 flower pot.
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Liked 388 Times in 194 Posts
    Oh I completely agree, die cast is crap. I have snapped a crank like a carrot on one of my bikes.
    9 years and 135k down the road and my subaru is still fine, OK for a road car (what the thread is about) but yes for a race/rally car completely the wrong material to use.

Liked 9,309 Times in 4,937 Posts
    Not a 2017 WRC but you can buy a car with more power and crazy aero...

Gemballa has built a 911 Turbo with 809bhp called 'Avalanche' http://www.tpgr.me/9o4A309dEFj
    #M-SPORTER

14. Likes: pantealex (22nd February 2017)