Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goodbye Manor

Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts

Goodbye Manor

So it's official - Mr Fitzpatrick didn't want to sell the team too cheaply, so they are closing down now.

To miss Manor and keep Kaltenborn's wretched Sauber...

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Real shame, all 2010 teams have now folded. F1 needs to find a way of helping these young smaller teams. It's a sad state of affairs that they have folded.

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    All those years they spent 2-3 seconds a lap off the back of the field, and they go bust just as they had almost caught up. A shame Liberty's likely shake-up of revenue distribution will come too late for Manor.

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Real shame, all 2010 teams have now folded. F1 needs to find a way of helping these young smaller teams. It's a sad state of affairs that they have folded.
    That's where, hopefully, the new owner/operators will make some needed changes.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Oh but it did.

It froze the engine rules, thus locking in Mercedes wins until the next major raft of engine changes. If nobody can compete, then it helps these young smaller teams... to die.

That I imagine is Mercedes' and Ferrari's intent, non?
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    You would think that the major teams would understand that without the spear carriers the opera is greatly diminished.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 183 Times in 122 Posts
    Less seats for the newer drivers or older drivers.

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Oh but it did.

It froze the engine rules, thus locking in Mercedes wins until the next major raft of engine changes. If nobody can compete, then it helps these young smaller teams... to die.

That I imagine is Mercedes' and Ferrari's intent, non?
    The real issue I see is the lack of funding support that these small teams get. Manor did a fine job while in the sport given the limited resources that they have and I think it's a real shame on F1 that they had gone. Mercedes and Ferrari will only do what is in their best interests. It is in the interests of the sport for the new owners to now come to the aid of beleaguered teams such as Manor and provide them with funding.

I was actually hoping they would provide them with some capital given that it is in the interests of the sport as a whole to have these teams survive. Smaller teams have been the proving ground for many top drivers, take Alonso in a Minardi.

Once the distribution of funds from the sport is more even I think these teams will have a much better chance of surviving. That and it might entice other teams such as Lamborghini to enter the sport.

Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
    What's truly sad is that the battle for survival seems to be an almost ever-present threat to one or other of F1's smaller teams.

As others have already mentioned, I truly hope that Liberty can introduce a fairer distribution of central revenue so that the minnows can have a big enough slice of the cake that they could if well managed not only be sure of surviving from one season to the next, but also be able to attempt to build the teams up and try and move up the order.
    Time is the enemy.

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    My understanding is that any team needs approximately 100 million of USD simply to build a very basic car that passes the regulations, buy then engines, and then show up to 20+ races. Most of the cost is actually in showing up to all those races. There isn't much room left to build a competitive car, hire competent staff or drivers. If you're a backmarker team, what do you do to raise so much money? It's almost impossible. Please give us 100 million USD so we remain a backmarker team? Who is going to stand for that?

The next problem is that F1 has too many races in too many continents. In my opinion, 20 races a year is way too much not only for the competitors but even fans. The teams sometimes need to rush their staff and equipment across continents within a matter of days, and when they arrive they have to pay a whole lot of fees to compete in the races.

11. Likes: Owain (25th February 2017)