Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Collision penalty rules revised for 2017

http://asia.eurosport.com/formula-1/...72/story.shtml
    Formula 1 drivers will not receive penalties for collisions in 2017 unless it is absolutely clear who is at fault, the FIA has confirmed.
    The manner in which punishments for contact were handed out became increasingly controversial last season.
    VERSTAPPEN: ‘If I’d let Sainz past, dad would’ve kicked me in the nuts!’

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    A revised article 38.2 a) states: "It shall be at the discretion of the stewards to decide if any driver involved in an incident should be penalised.

"Unless it is clear to the stewards that a driver was wholly or predominantly to blame for an incident no penalty will be imposed."
    Seems kind of meaningless. Were stewards really looking at incidents, deciding it was unclear who was wholly or even mainly to blame, and handing out a penalty anyway? I doubt it. But hopefully it does signal a genuine change of approach.

Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    I certainly hope so. Last year's penalties on Rosberg after passes on Verstappen and Räikkönen were ridiculous - maybe the former was kind of payback for the collision with Hamilton in Austria, but two wrongs don't make a right. And I'm sure Nico was not the only driver who got hit with exceedingly stringent penalties.

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    Apparently , race director and stewards can now investigate any incident they see , not just the ones which are brought to their attention .
    So , now , teams which don't protest when team mates clash , will possibly have to seal with sanctions for their drivers instead of just handling it "in-house" .

To me , that is going to make the biggest difference , especially where the driver pairings are most volatile .

Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N4D13 View Post
    I certainly hope so. Last year's penalties on Rosberg after passes on Verstappen and Räikkönen were ridiculous - maybe the former was kind of payback for the collision with Hamilton in Austria, but two wrongs don't make a right. And I'm sure Nico was not the only driver who got hit with exceedingly stringent penalties.
    Rosberg did get punished for Austria.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    Apparently , race director and stewards can now investigate any incident they see , not just the ones which are brought to their attention .
    So , now , teams which don't protest when team mates clash , will possibly have to seal with sanctions for their drivers instead of just handling it "in-house" .

To me , that is going to make the biggest difference , especially where the driver pairings are most volatile .
    Punishing drivers for collisions with their teammates will be difficult to enforce long term. It'll unnecessarily punish teams in the Constructor's title.

If we take the Hamilton/Rosberg thing in Canada. Hamilton should've been stung. But with Rosberg already down the order. A time penalty punishes MB for something they didn't do.

Having thought about it. The only type of punishment that could fair in that case, would be a fluid penalty depending on what happened to the victim.

In the case of Hamilton/Rosberg/Canada. I'd let Hamilton free to win the race,claim the trophy, have it recorded that he won, chalk up a stat. But what penalty I'd enforce is he'll be deducted points to whatever place finish behind Rosberg.

So Rosberg finished 4th? Hamilton would be awarded 5th place points. But MB would get the full 25 for the win.

The only thing I'm not sure about would be what to do if Rosberg didn't finish for nothing to do with Hamilton, or what if Rosberg then caused a collision?

As far as Spain goes. The only thing I could think of would be to award Rosberg compensatory points. But I wouldn't know how much or how to work it out.

As far as Spain goes.

Liked 644 Times in 509 Posts
    I say let the kids race. Any consistency from the race stewards will be greatly appreciated. Of course it won't stop fanboyz from disagreeing, and posting it. Maybe things will be more equitable. One can only hope!
    Last edited by Tazio; 27th January 2017 at 01:29.
    May the forza be with you

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by journeyman racer View Post
    Punishing drivers for collisions with their teammates will be difficult to enforce long term. It'll unnecessarily punish teams in the Constructor's title.

If we take the Hamilton/Rosberg thing in Canada. Hamilton should've been stung. But with Rosberg already down the order. A time penalty punishes MB for something they didn't do.

Having thought about it. The only type of punishment that could fair in that case, would be a fluid penalty depending on what happened to the victim.

In the case of Hamilton/Rosberg/Canada. I'd let Hamilton free to win the race,claim the trophy, have it recorded that he won, chalk up a stat. But what penalty I'd enforce is he'll be deducted points to whatever place finish behind Rosberg.

So Rosberg finished 4th? Hamilton would be awarded 5th place points. But MB would get the full 25 for the win.

The only thing I'm not sure about would be what to do if Rosberg didn't finish for nothing to do with Hamilton, or what if Rosberg then caused a collision?

As far as Spain goes. The only thing I could think of would be to award Rosberg compensatory points. But I wouldn't know how much or how to work it out.

As far as Spain goes.
    Isn't the driver a part of the team , though ?
    Punishing the team for what an idiot driver does happens naturally if either or both go off , so why should it be different if they stay on .

What's pi$$ed me off in the past is where a driver isn't protested , just because it's between team mates , like that incident in Canada .
    You get off "Scot-free" when you burn your team-mate ?

Nah , penalize where necessary if anyone deserves it , and let the teams pin the tail on the donkey in the back of the garage .

Liked 644 Times in 509 Posts
    Punishing the team for what an idiot driver does happens naturally if either or both go off , so why should it be different if they stay on .

What's pi$$ed me off in the past is where a driver..........
    "penalize where necessary if anyone deserves it"
    Last edited by Tazio; 27th January 2017 at 01:40.
    May the forza be with you

What's pi$$ed me off in the past is where a driver isn't protested , just because it's between team mates , like that incident in Canada .
    You get off "Scot-free" when you burn your team-mate ?

Nah , penalize where necessary if anyone deserves it , and let the teams pin the tail on the donkey in the back of the garage .
    We could do it that way. It wouldn't bother me. But a situation like Canada puts pressure on the stewards to make a decision. I don't think they're as objective as we hope they'd be. MB knew Hamilton made a mistake. But I suspect there would've been some heated discussions behind the scenes if he had been penalised.

You have to acknowledge that there's a Constructor's championship as well, and that's important (even if it isn't to fans). In that situation, if you could punish the driver without punishing the team. Then I think it takes the pressure off MB as well. They know Rosberg was dudded. But they had to act in the best interests of the team before Rosberg.