Page 17 of 116 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast
    Liked 16,095 Times in 6,984 Posts

2. Likes: AnttiL (15th May 2017)
    Liked 377 Times in 187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve.mandzij View Post
    Link to the interview?

I expect Neuville and Ogier to battle for the win, with Latvala trailing in third (possibly jumping them if he gets the car quick enough). Meeke will have a slow and steady weekend or go too fast and crash.
    I agree with Neuville/Ogier/Meeke but unless they get struck with issues I'd expect Tanak, Evans and Sordo all to be quite a bit faster than Latvala.

Liked 846 Times in 407 Posts
    Really? Latvala is definitely better than Sordo and Evans, and on par with Tanak when he's crazy. The only reason he'd fall behind is his Yaris acting up or just not being up to the competition.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

5. Likes: andyone (15th May 2017),satukata (15th May 2017)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Link to the interview?
    http://www.ts.fi/urheilu/moottoriurh...la+Portugaliin

Here in Finnish

Opin Argentiinassa, että ensimmäinen päivä on hyvin tärkeä. Silloin on yritettävä, ja oltava kärkiviisikossa, jotta saa hyvät lähtöasemat seuraavaan päivään. Se on tavoite Portugalissa, ja jos keli on kehno avauspäivänä, lähtöpaikkani kakkosena voi itse asiassa auttaakin minua, kun tie menee takana huonompaan kuntoon
    which translates about to:

I learned in Argentina that the first day is very important. You have to try then and to be in the top five to get a good starting position for the following day. That's the target in Portugal, and if the weather is bad on the opening day, my starting position as the second car may actually be an advance, as the road gets in worse condition behind me.
    Not sure if that interview is some days old, but right now it seems that the weather is dry for the whole weekend, so Ogier and Latvala have probably some sweeping to do on the first day.

Liked 377 Times in 187 Posts
    Really? Latvala is definitely better than Sordo and Evans, and on par with Tanak when he's crazy. The only reason he'd fall behind is his Yaris acting up or just not being up to the competition.

Well Latvala is also pretty inconsistent. No doubt he is a top notch driver but then he is very dependent on his confidence. The win in Sweden was impressive given that the Yaris does not seem very competitive but then it has always been a strong rally for him. I think Tanak is finding his feet, making less mistakes and not taking unreasonable risks. If the Fiesta doesn't act up I always have him high on my podium contender list. Evans is a bit of an unknown quantity but his drive in Argentina was very impressive and before his speed wasn't bad either, on top of that the DMack tyre should also work well on the next run of events. Sordo is also up there most of the time. He may not be the very fastest but usually you can expect him in the top 5 just because he hardly puts a foot wrong.

Anyway those four are always a tough call, but I do see Latvala on the back foot because he still seems pretty insecure and it does look like the Toyota is not as fast as the Hyundai and the Ford.
    Last edited by Watson; 15th May 2017 at 17:55.

Liked 846 Times in 407 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Watson View Post
    Well Latvala is also pretty inconsistent. No doubt he is a top notch driver but then he is very dependent on his confidence. The win in Sweden was impressive given that the Yaris does not seem very competitive but then it has always been a strong rally for him. I think Tanak is finding his feet, making less mistakes and not taking unreasonable risks. If the Fiesta doesn't act up I always have him high on my podium contender list. Evans is a bit of an unknown quantity but his drive in Argentina was very impressive and before his speed wasn't bad either, on top of that the DMack tyre should also work well on the next run of events. Sordo is also up there most of the time. He may not be the very fastest but most of the time you can expect him in the top 5 just because he hardly puts a foot wrong.

Anyway those four are always a tough call, but I do see Latvala on the back foot because he still seems pretty insecure and it does look like the Toyota is not as fast as the Hyundai and the Ford.
    His inconsistency is a valid point, but based only on this year's results he's been very smart: pushing when he needs to, conserving the car and scoring points when he can't win. He's shown really important maturity and, thanks to his new team, he seems constantly confident.

9. Likes: KKS (17th May 2017)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    His inconsistency is a valid point, but based only on this year's results he's been very smart: pushing when he needs to, conserving the car and scoring points when he can't win. He's shown really important maturity and, thanks to his new team, he seems constantly confident.
    Seems like Latvala learned this year that the points are given at the end of the rally, and it's better to get little points than to crash and get none.

11. Likes: satukata (15th May 2017),steve.mandzij (15th May 2017)
    Liked 40 Times in 17 Posts
    without any problems with the car, i expect Tänak to win this.

Liked 802 Times in 437 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bugwrx View Post
    without any problems with the car, i expect Tänak to win this.
    Only if others have car trouble - Ogier knows how to win in Portugal - he beat Loeb there twice! Also it would be foolish to discount last year's winner who has an ideal road position!
    Last edited by Mintexmemory; 15th May 2017 at 19:13.
    Kris Meeke got fired -PSG so terrified they quit!

14. Likes: steve.mandzij (15th May 2017)
    Liked 168 Times in 128 Posts
    If Hänninen manage to stay on the road, I expect him to win in Portugal.

16. Likes: Gregor-y (15th May 2017)