Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Liked 144 Times in 49 Posts

Why this sport is amazing: A Newbie Perspective

Okay, so I chat with a lot of NASCAR fans, and I find that we take the sport for granted. We forget about why it is so great until someone new comes along to remind us. For WRC, maybe I am that guy for some. Here is why I think this sport is flat out awesome BEFORE I have even followed a Rally weekend:

1. The cars: Can't think of a motorsport formula where the complete package is so crucial. Suspension, transmission, engine, aero, and tires. I love the technical aspects of motorsports, and unfortunately (as has been clearly pointed out in the Technical Analysis thread), "journalists" know very little about this. They instead focus on the driver and the romantic stuff. I had not idea how awesome these cars are from a technical/development standpoint until I started to study this because of Toyota's entry. Just awesome, and something I have missed since Toyota left F1. Love it.

2. The drivers: So much personality. I love it. They don't seem too corporate, and there is a ton of passion. I am looking forward to following Latvala. He reminds me of Alesi. Fast, emotional, and maybe at times erratic (based on the review videos I have watched--could be wrong). He will give me hope every rally I think. He will let me down. He will make me laugh. He might make me cry. He might bring me a win, and celebration. These are all the things I felt when I used to pull for Alesi

3. The teams: Work these arses off. Much drive and desire. Team principals who are very visible. Love the manufacturer based concept. Brand identity is evident. I love this. I am here because Toyota is here, and not only do I want to understand the Toyota drivers, but I want to understand the culture of Gazoo Racing.

4. The fans: Hugely passionate, and positive about their sport. NASCAR fans are souring, and constantly bitching. I haven't bee around here for a season, so I could be wrong, but it seems that many of you live for this, and that impresses me. Great fans.

5. The media: Jury is out. Only know what I see on WRC+, and the coverage here is pretty much through Motorsport.com. We shall see.

Bottom line: When I started this research upon Toyota's announcement, I did not expect to be so excited. I was wrong. I am pumped.

2. Likes: pantealex (7th January 2017),raybak (6th January 2017),seb_sh (7th January 2017),skarderud (6th January 2017),sonnybobiche (21st July 2017),Sulland (18th June 2017)
    Liked 1,244 Times in 676 Posts
    If you think it's amazing now - I can't imagine what you'd think when it was at its finest.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

4. Likes: Revman (7th January 2017)
    Liked 105 Times in 44 Posts
    For me it was seeing things like the shot starting at 2:01 in this video. This was rally to me. Absolutely on the limit. You see the reaction of the spectator, he can't believe what he just saw. Stuff like that makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up and you can't help but love the bravery and absolute commitment. It evokes a deep respect and admiration for the level of commitment it takes to drive like that. Few can do it and you know it's special when you see it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvsXUDnWYH8

Quote Originally Posted by OHL View Post
    For me it was seeing things like the shot starting at 2:01 in this video. This was rally to me. Absolutely on the limit. You see the reaction of the spectator, he can't believe what he just saw. Stuff like that makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up and you can't help but love the bravery and absolute commitment. It evokes a deep respect and admiration for the level of commitment it takes to drive like that. Few can do it and you know it's special when you see it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvsXUDnWYH8
    Absolutely love the fan's reaction. Just awesome.

Liked 1,878 Times in 734 Posts
    Sharing a moment like this with a few mates is what makes it special to me, me filming with Co-drivers Torstein Eriksen and Stig Rune Skjærmoen doing the sound effects

https://www.facebook.com/rallyemag/v...4937359694973/

And another special moment in this opening clip from Finland 2015 The spaniards or what they were went crazy!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m5EWTGARvQ&t=480s
    Last edited by SubaruNorway; 6th January 2017 at 21:40.
    "Die with memories, not with dreams" Scott McIsaac
    http://www.motorsportfilmer.net

8. Likes: pantealex (7th January 2017)
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    This forum gave you the impression that fans are positive about this sport? Odd, I always got the opposite. Undeniably, rally fans are incredibly passionate and devoted, but this forum is not particularly "positive".

Glad you discovered the sport though! The US is desperately missing a solid WRC fanbase, and it's good to see manufacturer involvement directly impact that as well. We're in for a great season this year for sure, so you've joined at the right time!

Quote Originally Posted by pol1sh View Post
    This forum gave you the impression that fans are positive about this sport? Odd, I always got the opposite. Undeniably, rally fans are incredibly passionate and devoted, but this forum is not particularly "positive".

Glad you discovered the sport though! The US is desperately missing a solid WRC fanbase, and it's good to see manufacturer involvement directly impact that as well. We're in for a great season this year for sure, so you've joined at the right time!
    Compared to what NASCAR "fans" say about the sport they supposedly love, this place is absolute sunshine and butterflies so far.

Thank you for your appreciation of my interest in this sport. I am very excited!

Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Revman View Post
    Compared to what NASCAR "fans" say about the sport they supposedly love, this place is absolute sunshine and butterflies so far.
    Probably because all makes and drivers are respected by rally fans. At the end, all are important to make rally heritage greater.

Btw, fantastic video by Praemio from the first special built rally car, 10 years before Gr.B, and still the most iconic ever: the Lancia Stratos. Interesting to notice that the man telling the story, and rallying them on historic events, is ex F1 driver Erik Comas.
    https://youtu.be/BEhkB-GuCIY
    Rally addict since 1982

12. Likes: b3637853 (12th January 2017)
    Liked 1,090 Times in 488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pol1sh View Post
    Just have a look at the F1 section of this forum and you'll understand.

The only negative threads in the rally section in recent times have been the Toyota thread, because everyone just wants them to do really well, and the media coverage threads.
    Never stop dreaming because one day it might happen.

Liked 177 Times in 97 Posts
    @Revman, this one it's for you :P

Glad that you're following inlove with the sport.

Cheers

15. Likes: sonnybobiche (21st July 2017)