Okay, so I chat with a lot of NASCAR fans, and I find that we take the sport for granted. We forget about why it is so great until someone new comes along to remind us. For WRC, maybe I am that guy for some. Here is why I think this sport is flat out awesome BEFORE I have even followed a Rally weekend:

1. The cars: Can't think of a motorsport formula where the complete package is so crucial. Suspension, transmission, engine, aero, and tires. I love the technical aspects of motorsports, and unfortunately (as has been clearly pointed out in the Technical Analysis thread), "journalists" know very little about this. They instead focus on the driver and the romantic stuff. I had not idea how awesome these cars are from a technical/development standpoint until I started to study this because of Toyota's entry. Just awesome, and something I have missed since Toyota left F1. Love it.

2. The drivers: So much personality. I love it. They don't seem too corporate, and there is a ton of passion. I am looking forward to following Latvala. He reminds me of Alesi. Fast, emotional, and maybe at times erratic (based on the review videos I have watched--could be wrong). He will give me hope every rally I think. He will let me down. He will make me laugh. He might make me cry. He might bring me a win, and celebration. These are all the things I felt when I used to pull for Alesi

3. The teams: Work these arses off. Much drive and desire. Team principals who are very visible. Love the manufacturer based concept. Brand identity is evident. I love this. I am here because Toyota is here, and not only do I want to understand the Toyota drivers, but I want to understand the culture of Gazoo Racing.

4. The fans: Hugely passionate, and positive about their sport. NASCAR fans are souring, and constantly bitching. I haven't bee around here for a season, so I could be wrong, but it seems that many of you live for this, and that impresses me. Great fans.

5. The media: Jury is out. Only know what I see on WRC+, and the coverage here is pretty much through Motorsport.com. We shall see.

Bottom line: When I started this research upon Toyota's announcement, I did not expect to be so excited. I was wrong. I am pumped.