Threaded View

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Regarding the hybrid engines, there is definitely road relevance. The main relevance I've seen if the Turbulent Jet Ignition. Achieving now up to 50% energy efficiency compared to 20-25%% ten years ago is a massive performance improvement. To apply this to road cars would be a huge leap forward in technology and halve the fuel consumption of any car. Now to apply this technology to HEV's or PHEV's would be even better, especially with a HEV. I currently drive a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. My fuel consumption is almost 0 because I have approximately 40km range in my battery and most of my journeys are 30km or less This enables me to get to work, charge my car for free at a charging point and back again using no fuel. Sometimes I have to drive like a granny to maximize efficiency but that's not the end of the world. Last year I topped up my PHEV 4 times. Once every 3 months and I am now approaching 15,000 km. Now applying TJI technology could reduce my costs even further.

So for a PHEV TJI is probably not going to make a huge diff for my scenario. Now for a HEV it will make a massive difference. Imagine achieving 150 miles to the gallon? Currently Toyota Prius and the like can get up to aorund 72 miles to the gallon. Imagine doubling that? Awesome!

The same applies for every day road cars really but there is a great balance to be struck for HEV's. F1 is more road relevant now than it ever has been and I think these engines will genuinely contribute to road technology. It may not be exactly the same technology pioneered but it should appear in some form.
    Last edited by The Black Knight; 10th January 2017 at 09:16.