Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Regarding the hybrid engines, there is definitely road relevance. The main relevance I've seen if the Turbulent Jet Ignition. Achieving now up to 50% energy efficiency compared to 20-25%% ten years ago is a massive performance improvement. To apply this to road cars would be a huge leap forward in technology and halve the fuel consumption of any car. Now to apply this technology to HEV's or PHEV's would be even better, especially with a HEV. I currently drive a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. My fuel consumption is almost 0 because I have approximately 40km range in my battery and most of my journeys are 30km or less This enables me to get to work, charge my car for free at a charging point and back again using no fuel. Sometimes I have to drive like a granny to maximize efficiency but that's not the end of the world. Last year I topped up my PHEV 4 times. Once every 3 months and I am now approaching 15,000 km. Now applying TJI technology could reduce my costs even further.

So for a PHEV TJI is probably not going to make a huge diff for my scenario. Now for a HEV it will make a massive difference. Imagine achieving 150 miles to the gallon? Currently Toyota Prius and the like can get up to aorund 72 miles to the gallon. Imagine doubling that? Awesome!

The same applies for every day road cars really but there is a great balance to be struck for HEV's. F1 is more road relevant now than it ever has been and I think these engines will genuinely contribute to road technology. It may not be exactly the same technology pioneered but it should appear in some form.
    Last edited by The Black Knight; 10th January 2017 at 09:16.

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    I currently drive a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. My fuel consumption is almost 0 because I have approximately 40km range in my battery and most of my journeys are 30km or less This enables me to get to work, charge my car for free at a charging point and back again using no fuel. Sometimes I have to drive like a granny to maximize efficiency but that's not the end of the world. Last year I topped up my PHEV 4 times. Once every 3 months and I am now approaching 15,000 km. Now applying TJI technology could reduce my costs even further.
    This is off topic, but I'd just like to note that all electric cars use plenty of fuel. It's just delivered down a wire and not at a pump. The power plant which creates the electricity uses a lot of fuel depending on the type - coal, fuel oil, natural gas, nuclear. The only ones that don't are solar and wind and there are darn few of those around the world.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    This is off topic, but I'd just like to note that all electric cars use plenty of fuel. It's just delivered down a wire and not at a pump. The power plant which creates the electricity uses a lot of fuel depending on the type - coal, fuel oil, natural gas, nuclear. The only ones that don't are solar and wind and there are darn few of those around the world.
    Yup agreed, but I'm talking about fuel consumption from a conventional consumer stand point i.e. going to the pumps and filling up.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    I currently drive a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV.
    I hope you pump the tyres up to Mitsubishi test spec - in order to achieve their vastly overstated MPG figures?

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    I hope you pump the tyres up to Mitsubishi test spec - in order to achieve their vastly overstated MPG figures?
    Haha I get better miles to the gallon than than they state because I drive so much EV. If it fits your use case then it's fantastic, otherwise you'd be pretty much better off with pretty much anything else.

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Well, they certainly closed the gap to Mercedes engine wise but I wouldn't say they were there with them. Seb still ended up 20 seconds down the road from a cruising Nico Rosberg in a very much Engine dependent Monza.
    Monza was a very revealing race for Ferrari, they got to see the true nature of how bad their chassis was. Even with a powerful engine, if your chassis is poor relative to the competition in the aero department, it translates to slow times relative to the competition. The poor Ferrari chassis is why Redbull superseded Ferrari and why the Ferrari fades into the distance behind the Mercedes. They have the horse power but lack aerodynamic efficiency or the chassis is difficult to setup to get the most out of the engine power for most tracks this season.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 1,066 Times in 598 Posts
    Dumb question:

What is a hybrid engine?
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Liked 1,090 Times in 488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Jones View Post
    Dumb question:

What is a hybrid engine?
    It's a bisexual motor vehicle.
    Never stop dreaming because one day it might happen.

9. Likes: N. Jones (12th January 2017)
    Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Jones View Post
    Dumb question:

What is a hybrid engine?
    A misnomer.

Technically a diesel-electric locomotive could be considered a hybrid.

I still think that Jaguar should have pursued their turbine-electric CX-75. A weeny little jet engine running at constant speed and driving both the wheels and a charging system would have been interesting.

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky View Post
    It's a bisexual motor vehicle.
    I think you mean transexual motor vehicle
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare