Page 77 of 263 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987127177 ... LastLast
    Liked 2,832 Times in 1,606 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jparker View Post
    Of course not, but this kind of stages are not common. For most rallies the stages don't have big ups and downs in terms of speed, so yes, average speed is good overview parameter of the stage, but should be used in conjunction with other parameters as well. If FIA wants limit, that's fine, it will not change much.
    As already mentioned, few hay balls and the stage will be within the limits.
    As said before, some hay bales doesn´t lower the top speeds on a stage. And the safety reason from FIA falls.
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

Liked 168 Times in 128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rallyper View Post
    As said before, some hay bales doesn´t lower the top speeds on a stage. And the safety reason from FIA falls.
    I guess they have to place it properly then. I don't see any reason why hay ball can't reduce top speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.T View Post
    a 4th gear corner with bad camber and trees on the outside with no ditch in between is a million times worse than a 120mph straight.
    That's pretty basic thinking statement. It may be worse because of the higher chances for that to happen, but even for kids its known that the higher the speed, the worst the impact will be.

Liked 1,472 Times in 572 Posts
    Rumours about Abbring competing the first rally of the Belgian Championship with the Peugeot Belgium 208 R5.

That would surely mean the end of his contract with Hyundai.

I do repeat, it's a rumour but comming from the biggest autosport magazine in Belgium.

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    That's pretty basic thinking statement. It may be worse because of the higher chances for that to happen, but even for kids its known that the higher the speed, the worst the impact will be.
    That's pretty simplistic thinking too. A sudden impact at 50mph can put more energy to the occupants of a car than a big roll at 100mph. Think about McRae's accident in Corsica in the Focus (forget what year) and compare it to Burns in Finland (Subaru, big roll at the flying finish) or Tommi's big off at Argentina when he was with Subaru. Cutting speeds on a stage doesn't automatically make it safer, it's all completely relative.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by MrJan View Post
    That's pretty simplistic thinking too. A sudden impact at 50mph can put more energy to the occupants of a car than a big roll at 100mph. Think about McRae's accident in Corsica in the Focus (forget what year) and compare it to Burns in Finland (Subaru, big roll at the flying finish) or Tommi's big off at Argentina when he was with Subaru. Cutting speeds on a stage doesn't automatically make it safer, it's all completely relative.
    Well, it's your interpretation simplistic, not what I have said. I don't compare different possibilities. Same kind of incident can happen on any place, doesn't matter straight or turn. In such cases, speed can be the difference between life and death.

Liked 9,312 Times in 4,938 Posts
    The impact of 2017 rules appearing, like Ostberg's wing flying off ?

http://www.rallysportmag.com.au/home...2017-wrc-rules

Liked 9,312 Times in 4,938 Posts
    Citroen/Matton on their poor start:

http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/febru...5--12-12-.html

Liked 544 Times in 302 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N.O.T View Post
    a 4th gear corner with bad camber and trees on the outside with no ditch in between is a million times worse than a 120mph straight.
    Agreed. Just look at Camilli's onboard from Monte Carlo in 2016 when he crashed out. Wasn't going faster than he would on a straight, but his impact with a tree was big enough to wreck the roll cage. The A pillar on his car was inches away from hitting him in the face. High speed rolls are something drivers usually gets away with.
    Last edited by BigWorm; 17th February 2017 at 13:46.

10. Likes: itix (21st February 2017)
    Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Well, it's your interpretation simplistic, not what I have said. I don't compare different possibilities. Same kind of incident can happen on any place, doesn't matter straight or turn. In such cases, speed can be the difference between life and death.
    Not my interpretation. You wrote: "the higher the speed, the worst the impact will be." but that's not always the case, hence why your view is simplistic.

Two accidents I mentioned. One is flat out in 6th gear, taking what you wrote that means worse impact because it's higher speed. Except that it wasn't, driver and co-driver walked away. The other is much slower, still quick but probably 3rd or 4th gear. The drive was trapped and injured.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGvnvfWlwqc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMhSiKG6wfs

I'm not saying that speed doesn't have a bearing sometimes, just that there are a lot of factors and a high speed straight doesn't make a stage unsafe. A blanket ban on quick stages doesn't automatically make rallying safe, and a succession of stages over 130kph doesn't mean it's automatically dangerous either. THere is balance...but the FIA lacks that.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.