Page 186 of 263 FirstFirst ... 86136176184185186187188196236 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,860 of 2630
    Liked 12,160 Times in 5,214 Posts
    FIA to take control of WRC chicane rules after Rally Finland row

http://www.autosport.com/news/report...rc-chicane-use

The controversial use of chicanes in the World Rally Championship will be regulated by the FIA following complaints from the drivers at last week's Rally Finland.

Chicanes were added to the Finland route for the first time since 1987, but their deployment drew strong criticism from the drivers.

Complaints included a lack of room in the chicane and entry points that were confusing at rally speed.

The FIA said the event organiser was responsible for the implementation of the chicanes, but a source within Rally Finland was equally keen to shift the blame back to the governing body.

"If the FIA wasn't happy with the way the chicanes were set out, then they should have been there when we put them out to check them," said the source.

FIA rally director Jarmo Mahonen has confirmed the governing body will write a regulation directing events in how to lay chicanes out on future events.

"I agree with the drivers, nobody likes the chicanes," he said.

"But we have to do something when, in some places, the cars are going for 48 seconds without lifting at all from the top gear.

"But to stop the cars completely was not the intention.

"The chicanes in Finland have been built too tight and now we have to find a balance and we have to write the regulation: how do we make these chicanes, how many metres apart and this kind of thing so they are the same everywhere."

Teemu Suninen was the highest profile victim of the Finland chicanes.

M-Sport's rookie driver missed the second chicane on Ouninpohja while in the podium fight on Saturday and dropped 20s turning the car around to come back past the barrier.

Suninen, like the rest of the drivers, admitted he was baffled by the chicanes' purpose.

"I don't feel they make our lives more safe," he told Autosport.

"Sometimes it's hard to see where you go in the chicane and there's no room to escape if you miss it.

"When the stages are flowing nicely, I think it is more dangerous to stop the flow like this."

Even with the chicanes in place, the event became the fastest in WRC history, with Esapekka Lappi's winning average of 78.73mph edging him fractionally ahead of Kris Meeke's 78.66mph from last year.

Teams estimate without the chicanes the average speed would have been close to 85mph.
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

2. Likes: AnttiL (4th August 2017),Arnold Triyudho Wardono (4th August 2017),electroliquid (4th August 2017),the sniper (4th August 2017)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Lappi's actual final average speed was 126.1 km/h, a bit slower than Meeke's 126.6 km/h. There was some initial confusion because some average speeds were calculated with Rally Guide 1 stage lengths, not the actual lengths. But roughly the route changed the same amount slower as the new cars became faster. Difference between winning WRC car and winning R5 car was doubled.

Some stages (Saalahti and Lempää) were run exactly as last year, and the winning times were about one second to kilometre faster than last year. If that applied to the whole 330 km route, it would make 5,5 minutes of advance. If we take 5,5 minutes off Kris Meeke's 2016 result, that would make it a 131 km/h average speed, with last year's route and this year's cars.
    Last edited by AnttiL; 4th August 2017 at 14:53.

4. Likes: abxyz (4th August 2017),AMSS (4th August 2017),cali (4th August 2017),eib1 (4th August 2017),KiwiWRCfan (4th August 2017),sonnybobiche (4th August 2017),steve.mandzij (4th August 2017)
    Liked 290 Times in 113 Posts
    *sigh*... the sequence is always the same.

Industrious, passionate locals organize a successful event. International group of bureaucrats take over said event because they're the "experts". Bureaucrats slowly destroy the event through a combination of ineptitude, disinterest, political correctness, and ambition. The formerly successful event fails. International group of bureaucrats move on to their next victim.

6. Likes: BleAivano (6th August 2017),RAS007 (5th August 2017),ruesluporp (4th August 2017)
    Liked 9,308 Times in 4,936 Posts
    Mads Østberg has just quit ERC Rally Rzeszów.

Said he was scared on high speed sections of steering failure on his R5 like yesterday. Rallying is now just for fun and he is not wanting to risk his life.

He clearly has bigger priotities now he's a father.

8. Likes: steve.mandzij (5th August 2017),WRC1 (5th August 2017)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post

Said he was scared on high speed sections of steering failure on his R5 like yesterday.
    Power steering, not all steering

Liked 2,241 Times in 1,199 Posts

Said he was scared on high speed sections of steering failure on his R5 like yesterday. Rallying is now just for fun and he is not wanting to risk his life.

He clearly has bigger priotities now he's a father.
    Sounds like the beginning of his retirement..

11. Likes: steve.mandzij (5th August 2017),WUff1 (5th August 2017)
    Liked 9,308 Times in 4,936 Posts
    Listening live on rally radio it was quite shocking. He gave the most brutally honest stage-end interview I think I've ever heard.

This was the gist:
    Absolutely no joy, I'm afraid of what happened yesterday. I don't want to drive this car anymore, I don't feel good in high speed. Big trees all around, if you lose the power-steering...
    I don't enjoy this at all, I'm scared all the time. It's too dangerous. Might have to park-up...
    I want to die at home, not in Poland.
    #M-SPORTER

Liked 29 Times in 12 Posts
    Listening live on rally radio it was quite shocking. He gave the most brutally honest stage-end interview I think I've ever heard.

This was the gist:
    Absolutely no joy, I'm afraid of what happened yesterday. I don't want to drive this car anymore, I don't feel good in high speed. Big trees all around, if you lose the power-steering...
    I don't enjoy this at all, I'm scared all the time. It's too dangerous. Might have to park-up...
    I want to die at home, not in Poland.
    Don't need to say anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=P...&v=knKvG2WmRMQ

14. Likes: AnttiL (6th August 2017),aykutbilir (5th August 2017),BleAivano (6th August 2017),dimviii (6th August 2017),Mirek (6th August 2017),Rallyper (5th August 2017),Sulland (6th August 2017),the sniper (5th August 2017),WRC1 (5th August 2017)
    Liked 1,878 Times in 734 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RS View Post
    Sounds like the beginning of his retirement..
    You don't need to be a genius to understand why he retired, have you seen Sordo's off out of nowhere in Monte?
    "Die with memories, not with dreams" Scott McIsaac
    http://www.motorsportfilmer.net

16. Likes: Rallyper (6th August 2017),skarderud (6th August 2017)
    Liked 2,241 Times in 1,199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SubaruNorway View Post
    You don't need to be a genius to understand why he retired, have you seen Sordo's off out of nowhere in Monte?
    I was talking more about the 'rallying is just for fun now' comment.

Clearly the power steering problems were real having seen the onboard from leg one.