Page 154 of 263 FirstFirst ... 54104144152153154155156164204254 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,540 of 2630
    Liked 3,296 Times in 1,735 Posts
    Jean Ragnotti made some great results driving Renault 11 Turbo. He was second overall in Rallye de Portugal 1987:
    https://www.ewrc-results.com/final/5...do-porto-1987/

and third in Rallye Sanremo:
    https://www.ewrc-results.com/final/8...-sanremo-1987/

Last edited by Jarek Z; 4th June 2017 at 13:23.
    http://www.rallymadness.prv.pl - rally photos and movies!

2. Likes: aykutbilir (4th June 2017),Fast Eddie WRC (4th June 2017),Lundefaret (4th June 2017)
    Liked 887 Times in 277 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    Definitely a R11 Turbo - I had one back in the day, and in red... cracking car !

Maybe the rally car was this one...

It was exactly like that, also with the quattro-like doubble square headlights. Cant say 100% that it was that exact car, but very, very similar!
    https://www.facebook.com/noseendfirst?ref=hl#

4. Likes: Fast Eddie WRC (4th June 2017),Jarek Z (4th June 2017)
    Liked 9,356 Times in 4,971 Posts
    My best memory of the R11T rally car was on a stage of the Tour de Corse 1987, where Ragnotti lost just 1 sec/km to the time of a 205 T16 Evo2 from 1986 !

Here was his car's secret:
    "To be competitive we have to make the car as light as possible with as high a cornering speed as we can get."
    "A component part of cornering is braking: the more efficient and stable a car's retardation, the quicker will be its elapsed time through a corner. And it's a complete understatement to say that there are many corners in Corsica. The multitude of twists, turns and gradients on the roads of this island make a car's braking performance critical to its Tour de Corse competitiveness."

That this 1.4T FWD car was capable of mixing it on tarmac with the 4WD Delta HF and RWD Sierra Cosworth & BMW M3 I think was incredible.
    Last edited by Fast Eddie WRC; 4th June 2017 at 14:44.
    #M-SPORTER

6. Likes: black lad (4th June 2017),Jarek Z (4th June 2017),Lundefaret (4th June 2017)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Carlos Sainz to test a C3 WRC to help overcome suspension problems? http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/129901 Sainz says he'd be interested, Matton says it's possible but not planned ATM

Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Carlos Sainz to test a C3 WRC to help overcome suspension problems? http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/129901
    Isn't this talk about the alleged C3 suspensions problems becoming a bit ridiculous? How can a car that won at Mexico, lead at Corsica and usually ends events at the top 5 with a less experienced driver have a major issue? Honestly, the more bristish journos talk about this the more it seems they're trying to elude Meeke's erratic driving.
    Rally addict since 1982

9. Likes: itix (20th June 2017),sonnybobiche (6th June 2017)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    My best memory of the R11T rally car was on a stage of the Tour de Corse 1987, where Ragnotti lost just 1 sec/km to the time of a 205 T16 Evo2 from 1986 !

Here was his car's secret:
    "To be competitive we have to make the car as light as possible with as high a cornering speed as we can get."
    "A component part of cornering is braking: the more efficient and stable a car's retardation, the quicker will be its elapsed time through a corner. And it's a complete understatement to say that there are many corners in Corsica. The multitude of twists, turns and gradients on the roads of this island make a car's braking performance critical to its Tour de Corse competitiveness."

That this 1.4T FWD car was capable of mixing it on tarmac with the 4WD Delta HF and RWD Sierra Cosworth & BMW M3 I think was incredible.
    Great story.

Jean Ragnotti was maybe the best ever WRC driver that was ever champion. His loyalty to Renault was/is admirable, but have cost him a lot of WRC victories.
    What he could and can do with a rally car, no matter if its an underpowered FWD or an over powered RWD, or any combo in between - is just remarkable.

11. Likes: Andre Oliveira (4th June 2017),dimviii (4th June 2017),Fast Eddie WRC (4th June 2017),pantealex (5th June 2017)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Power View Post
    Isn't this talk about the alleged C3 suspensions problems becoming a bit ridiculous? How can a car that won at Mexico, lead at Corsica and usually ends events at the top 5 with a less experienced driver have a major issue? Honestly, the more bristish journos talk about this the more it seems they're trying to elude Meeke's erratic driving.
    Looking at one of the test videos from Andreas, he passes over a not big, but sharp bump. It looks like the car is bottoming out. Dont know if Andreas tested an upgraded car or not.

That Sainz can help with suspension problems is nothing new. I think he was quite involved getting the VW dampers good also. Ive heard that Sainz brought with him some damper genius, dont know his name.

Sainz is maby the most meticulous WRC test driver of all time, and there is little new under the sun, so to bring him in could be a good idea.

What I dont understand with the Citroën problem - and I dont agree that it has been all Meeke, though he should own up to some of the "moments" - but what is the biggest enigma, is how its possible to do so much testing with a rally car and end up with these kind of major challenges.
    Meeke says that he is a very good test driver, and that he really enjoys test driving, Citroën is a fabulous WRC team with an unmatched record, so how is it possible to get into this position.

Something must have happened behind the scenes.
    Some have hinted it to be a WTCC car made for the rally stages, I dont know about that, but I really wonder what is the reason why the car isn´t of the usual Citröen standard.

But then again, I think its small things that needs to be done to get it good, and it will be interesting to see Andreas in it.
    If it goes as I think it will, it can be a sobering rally for his team mates. If Andreas is not able to make an impression, then the car definitely has some major challenges.

13. Likes: er88 (4th June 2017),sonnybobiche (6th June 2017)
    Liked 3,795 Times in 1,982 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lundefaret View Post
    - but what is the biggest enigma, is how its possible to do so much testing with a rally car and end up with these kind of major challenges.
    Meeke says that he is a very good test driver, and that he really enjoys test driving, Citroën is a fabulous WRC team with an unmatched record, so how is it possible to get into this position.

Something must have happened behind the scenes.
    Some have hinted it to be a WTCC car made for the rally stages, I dont know about that, but I really wonder what is the reason why the car isn´t of the usual Citröen standard.
    Yes, they spend most of the year off testing and developing the C3.. and then end up not having setup for Monte and Sweden (their own words) and (possibly) suspension issues.

One possible issue is that they have less money than others, then again there were some lists about who drove how many test kms with the new cars and Citroen was leading by far.

But I also have to note that the last winning Citroen car was DS3 WRC. Both R5 cars are worse than both Fabia and Fiesta.

Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
    I think the Citroen is going to bite back .....

Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lundefaret View Post
    Looking at one of the test videos from Andreas, he passes over a not big, but sharp bump. It looks like the car is bottoming out. Dont know if Andreas tested an upgraded car or not.(...)
    Sainz is maby the most meticulous WRC test driver of all time, and there is little new under the sun, so to bring him in could be a good idea.
    I've seen the car testing and rallying and I wasn't able to see anything fundamentally wrong. What seems to be missing (strangely, for a former WRC champ team) is the ability to adapt the car to different events specific terrains.

For sure Sainz still is a fantastic test driver, but I don't see how him, or any other former WRC driver, can help to find the right set up for each current WRC round, unless Citroen hire them on a permanent basis...btw, this Sainz news came after his 208 Red Bull TV test, with Sainz saying he'd love to try a WRC car; the 'bring Sainz to help' talk came from journos minds.
    Last edited by Rally Power; 4th June 2017 at 21:25.
    Rally addict since 1982