Page 112 of 263 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114122162212 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,120 of 2630
    Liked 1,170 Times in 791 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jparker View Post
    So what are you suggesting? Wait for something bad to happen, and than adjust the line if required? Whether this should be done by FIA alone without agreement with drivers is different question.
    If FIA weren't confident the new cars will be safe, they won't bring them (I suppose they wouldn't allow another GroupB flaw, history is to learn from it, right?). What we're witnessing now is circus.
    "With that car, your brain can actually never keep up"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4IRMYuE1hI

친애하는 지도자
    Liked 2,720 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by janvanvurpa View Post
    And IF these people are athletes, then should we re-name those people who run and jump and throw things and do physical exertion and MUST do years of physical training to reach their level of strength?
    What should we call them then?
    we have a name for those.... we call them worthless overglorified drug addicts by their sposnors that are nothing without their dope.

Liked 2,264 Times in 944 Posts
    I mean if drivers are athletes, what about me when I drive in traffic?
    It depends where are you from.
    I think the average driver in Nuova Delhi is a kind of an athlete.

Liked 56 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AL14 View Post
    I mean if drivers are athletes, what about me when I drive in traffic?
    It depends where are you from.
    I think the average driver in Nuova Delhi is a kind of an athlete.
    Or CDMX, Los Angeles or Manhattan as well

And if the weather it's hot... and no A/C a Super Dupper athlete
    Jesus Christ, Kris!!! (Not again)

5. Likes: AL14 (7th April 2017)
    Liked 353 Times in 209 Posts
    Top competition Rally drivers ARE Athletes! You go see how they train physically.

Andreas isn't competing properly but look how he trains! On holidays even.
    GG: "I'm stinky! I needa good shower and nice bowl of pasta!"

Liked 87 Times in 43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GigiGalliNo1 View Post
    Top competition Rally drivers ARE Athletes! You go see how they train physically.

Andreas isn't competing properly but look how he trains! On holidays even.
    Agreed,to be a WRC you need to be super fit and mentally tough, just look at Hayden, he is a fitness machine now competing in some mountain bike events.

Liked 558 Times in 295 Posts
    Then what to call those who run and jump and do things dependent not on the equipment they operate (power steering, wiggle a gearstick of wiggle the fingertips, marvelous brakes, ) but on their physical exertion of their muscles---and of course some brains and equally amazing concentration (footballers, hockey, skiiers downhill or Nordic, bicycles racers out there riding for hours, or within motorsport moto-crossers or even more enduro riders...---where all the equipment has all been nearly perfect for decades much closer in HP, torque, weight, suspesnion than rally cars are--and they are CLOSE.)

I don't know how many here have done any sports to what kind of level but I suggest that the physical training is done not because there is any need for muscles, or lung capacity but mainly as mental toughening.

I ask again if these guys are 'athletes", then what to call those that do sports where real strength and endurance and lungs are needed even at the amateur level?

Isn't calling them DRIVERS good enough??

(Its very much like here in USA when you have guys who play at rally and spend railway carriges full of money either Daddy's or whatever who call themselves "Professional racers" in a sport which pays nothing.
    It is an appropriation of a word, wring all relationship to the word's meaning out of it solely to aggrandise or puff up just another rich guy dabbling at a pass-time..
    If some millionaire in his 40s buys a car and service package from Malcolm Wilson for 5 million Sterling for a year--he he can call himself a "professional" then what are the guys who actually devote their lives and ear ta salary to be called? Soooooooper Professionals?)
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

9. Likes: Franky (7th April 2017)
    The difference you point out is they are "Professional Racers".

An Athlete will train to drive, train to co-drive, to read notes, to mentally be able to cope with the stress of a car, the times etc. That's your difference. They are athletes, those who buy into the sport - unless they train - are not athletes.

And, a rally driver is not a racer. Rally Racing is an American term to define Rallying. Which is silly. Yes they are racing against each other but more importantly again the clock. "Rallying". Not "Racing".

Liked 1,091 Times in 489 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GigiGalliNo1 View Post
    The difference you point out is they are "Professional Racers".

An Athlete will train to drive, train to co-drive, to read notes, to mentally be able to cope with the stress of a car, the times etc. That's your difference. They are athletes, those who buy into the sport - unless they train - are not athletes.
    Is a great taxi driver, who knows the city without GPS, also an athlete? I'm with John on this one. Pushing pedals and turning a wheel don't make anyone an athlete, even if they spend rest of their time training.

Also there's professional athletes and athletes.
    Never stop dreaming because one day it might happen.