Page 204 of 264 FirstFirst ... 104154194202203204205206214254 ... LastLast
Results 2,031 to 2,040 of 2636
  1. #2031
    Senior Member SubaruNorway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Biri, Norway
    Posts
    3,837
    Like
    14
    Liked 715 Times in 298 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    Wonder what kind of program he will have and if he really only plans to do rallycross.

    In any case it is very likely he will get some tarmac/circuit training which is only positive. Way too many rallydrivers neglect tarmac early in their careers and later on just don't improve on it even when they focus on it. (recent examples Østberg and Paddon).
    Rallycross is more for fun and to get used to more power they have said.
    "Die with memories, not with dreams" Scott McIsaac
    http://www.motorsportfilmer.net

  2. #2032
    Senior Member AnttiL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,694
    Like
    1,483
    Liked 1,485 Times in 694 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    Wonder what kind of program he will have and if he really only plans to do rallycross.

    In any case it is very likely he will get some tarmac/circuit training which is only positive. Way too many rallydrivers neglect tarmac early in their careers and later on just don't improve on it even when they focus on it. (recent examples Østberg and Paddon).
    Suninen and Lappi started on karting and won Finnish Championships, but would you believe it based on their Rally Deutschland performances? Rallying on rough tarmac is a different sport.

  3. #2033
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    427
    Like
    2
    Liked 254 Times in 130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    Wonder what kind of program he will have and if he really only plans to do rallycross.

    In any case it is very likely he will get some tarmac/circuit training which is only positive. Way too many rallydrivers neglect tarmac early in their careers and later on just don't improve on it even when they focus on it. (recent examples Østberg and Paddon).
    Young Solberg competed in Estonia last weekend and accoring to the news they are planning to compete here on every rally next year.

  4. #2034
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    953
    Like
    101
    Liked 633 Times in 338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Suninen and Lappi started on karting and won Finnish Championships, but would you believe it based on their Rally Deutschland performances? Rallying on rough tarmac is a different sport.
    Not saying it always works, but for example Mikkelsen focused quite a lot on tarmac when he was 17-18 and now he is able to fight in the top on tarmac. Think JML also did some tarmac at that age.

  5. #2035
    Senior Member BigWorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    647
    Like
    146
    Liked 292 Times in 170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    Wonder what kind of program he will have and if he really only plans to do rallycross.

    In any case it is very likely he will get some tarmac/circuit training which is only positive. Way too many rallydrivers neglect tarmac early in their careers and later on just don't improve on it even when they focus on it. (recent examples Østberg and Paddon).
    Is rallycross really tarmac training though? I don't follow it but from what I've seen they're just sliding all the time, doesn't look like it's much grip in those cars, almost like a gravel spec WRC on tarmac. Quite different from driving a tarmac rally.

    The problem with tarmac training for northern European's is just that there are barely any tarmac rallies up here. The young drivers don't have access to the mileage to develop on that surface from an early stage in their career unless they "migrate" like Mikkelsen. Perhaps many can't afford that.

  6. #2036
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    4,653
    Like
    139
    Liked 210 Times in 109 Posts
    Any driving training is good for all forms of motorsport

  7. Likes: electroliquid (29th August 2017),pantealex (30th August 2017)
  8. #2037
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    340
    Like
    0
    Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    Not saying it always works, but for example Mikkelsen focused quite a lot on tarmac when he was 17-18 and now he is able to fight in the top on tarmac. Think JML also did some tarmac at that age.
    Both competed on tarmc events in the British Championship. Rally Isle of Man, Ulster & Jim Clark have a mixture of tarmac surface types which, when added to British weather, make an excellent training ground for any driver.

  9. #2038
    Senior Member Eli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,769
    Like
    733
    Liked 376 Times in 254 Posts
    https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/1...2018-title-bid

    Not surprising really...hope for better fortunes for him next year.
    If in doubt, flat out!

  10. #2039
    Senior Member AnttiL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,694
    Like
    1,483
    Liked 1,485 Times in 694 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eli View Post
    https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/1...2018-title-bid

    Not surprising really...hope for better fortunes for him next year.
    What does this even mean? Isn't everyone's championship title campaign written off except Ogier's, Neuville's and Tänak's? Or does this mean Paddon isn't contesting in these events?

  11. Likes: Simmi (30th August 2017)
  12. #2040
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    2,530
    Like
    434
    Liked 750 Times in 238 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    What does this even mean? Isn't everyone's championship title campaign written off except Ogier's, Neuville's and Tänak's? Or does this mean Paddon isn't contesting in these events?
    It doesn't say title campaign. I understand that he competes the remaining events without a specific goal for 2017 championship.
    Lue: rallirinki.net | Katso: rallirinki.kuvat.fi | Seuraa: @HartusvuoriWRC

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •