Page 114 of 127 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114115116124 ... LastLast
Results 1,131 to 1,140 of 1267
  1. #1131
    Senior Member GravelBen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    254
    Like
    204
    Liked 271 Times in 102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lousada View Post
    I would say the skills of a rallydriver are things like coordination, balance, anticipation, risk-assement and intelligence. None of these things are captured in the word 'athlete'.
    You don't think athletes need coordination, balance and anticipation?

    I agree that the word 'athlete' is very general and doesn't give you much detail though.

  2. #1132
    Senior Member GravelBen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    254
    Like
    204
    Liked 271 Times in 102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by janvanvurpa View Post
    If rally drivers are "athletes" then, what to call runners who run 1500m or sprint 100m, hurdlers, polevaulters, Tour de France or Giro D'Italia bicycle racers...
    You can call them athletes too.

    You seem to be missing the point that there are many different types of athlete - using that type of pedantry you would have to claim that the only people who deserve to be called athletes are those who compete in 'athletics'. So cyclists are out, as are swimmers and any other sportspeople outside the track+field events.

    But then you haven't defined what level they have to compete at to be called athletes. I play an olympic sport at local club level and I used to compete in cross-country running up to regional level. Does that mean I'm an athlete?

  3. Likes: AndyRAC (8th April 2017),BleAivano (8th April 2017),HenryEST (8th April 2017)
  4. #1133
    Senior Member GigiGalliNo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,745
    Like
    23
    Liked 196 Times in 122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post

    But then you haven't defined what level they have to compete at to be called athletes. I play an olympic sport at local club level and I used to compete in cross-country running up to regional level. Does that mean I'm an athlete?
    Yes.
    GG: "I'm stinky! I needa good shower and nice bowl of pasta!"

  5. #1134
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tholt-Y-Will
    Posts
    4,285
    Like
    625
    Liked 288 Times in 175 Posts
    In this era all drivers are athletes; they all seem to do training, be it running, cycling, weights, cross country ski-ing, etc In fact, I'd be concerned if a driver didn't do any kind of training. The fitter you are, the better your concentration and overall co-ordination.
    WRC: On the long way to Recovery............
    Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

  6. #1135
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,496
    Like
    298
    Liked 1,077 Times in 516 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lousada View Post
    I find it disappointing that you reduce the skill of a rallydriver to nothing more than physical agility, stamina and physical strength. I would say the skills of a rallydriver are things like coordination, balance, anticipation, risk-assement and intelligence. None of these things are captured in the word 'athlete'.
    Come on you're kind of putting words in my mouth there. You can be an athlete, and you can also have other characteristics like anticipation etc. I think that's obvious. It's possible to be more than one thing. Are you saying if an athlete is intelligent, then they aren't actually an athlete? But that's me putting words in your mouth now

    I also think what we see here is what we already know - rally drivers are incredible human beings. They have a full package of skills - but I think it's wrong not to say they are athletes at the pro level.
    Last edited by Simmi; 8th April 2017 at 12:19.
    My rally photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94998505@N03/albums

  7. #1136
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,338
    Like
    405
    Liked 875 Times in 397 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lousada View Post
    In many languages, like Dutch and French for example, the word for racing drivers is actually 'pilot'.
    I have to correct you a bit there. In the Dutch speaking parts of Belgium they can indeed refer to a driver as 'piloot' but in the Netherlands that's quite unusual. We call racing drivers 'autocoureurs' which ironically is quite French.
    SimRace Vereniging Nederland
    www.srvn.nl

  8. #1137
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Sleezattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,124
    Like
    452
    Liked 359 Times in 197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC View Post
    In this era all drivers are athletes; they all seem to do training, be it running, cycling, weights, cross country ski-ing, etc In fact, I'd be concerned if a driver didn't do any kind of training. The fitter you are, the better your concentration and overall co-ordination.
    As I earlier suggested, sure they do physical training, but that's not to make bigger---or longer lasting muscles or increase lung capacity--since that is not needed.. I suggest its really for mental training..and building mental toughness mainly.

    There are motorsports where strength, both maximum effort and endurance and rather enormous lung capacity is no questions that even good amateurs need it and can do nothing without it..and the guys that have that are of course athletes..
    And those guys don't have 4 wheels
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

  9. #1138
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Africa
    Posts
    19
    Like
    0
    Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
    Assume that an amateur rally driver sleeps all year round in night temperatures of 25 Celsius, does a 6 minute mile in the high altitude of Iten, scores 110 on a Batak pro, does a 3 minute sitting balance on a bonzi ball. Would you call him/her an athlete?

  10. #1139
    Senior Member BleAivano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,835
    Like
    152
    Liked 128 Times in 84 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by janvanvurpa View Post
    As I earlier suggested, sure they do physical training, but that's not to make bigger---or longer lasting muscles or increase lung capacity--
    since that is not needed.. I suggest its really for mental training..and building mental toughness mainly.
    Being a WRC rally driver you don't need to have decathlonish muscles since that would require to much oxygen and nutrition. However as you say the drivers needs
    mental strength BUT also a physical fitness to be able to cope with the mental strength as well as external factors such as humidity, temperatures, shaking cars
    because of rough road surface, and etc. Mental strength/mental focus endurance also requires a good oxygen supply to your brain since a brain running on full
    throttle requires allot of oxygen which requires a good heart and lung capacity, as well as adequate nutrition.

    If your heart and lungs aren't efficient then your body (including brain) will suffer because it won't be as good at taking up oxygen/removing co2 and biproducts.
    Last edited by BleAivano; 9th April 2017 at 11:34.
    ...Funny how ev'rything was roses when we held on to the guns...

  11. Likes: A FONDO (9th April 2017)
  12. #1140
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    1,243
    Like
    87
    Liked 321 Times in 171 Posts
    I think we should just head to the pub and remove the word "athlete" from use because it's become as vague as the most common adjectives
    Never stop dreaming because one day it might happen.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •