Page 82 of 263 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492132182 ... LastLast
    Liked 2,241 Times in 1,199 Posts
    I'm really not sure how this works for Skoda.. they do all the groundwork (again) and then VW come and 'steal' it and then dilute the R5 market.

I suppose Skoda are the junior partner, but couldn't VW have found something else to do?

2. Likes: Gregor-y (21st February 2017)
    Liked 11,150 Times in 4,426 Posts
    I know it's just a video from cell phone but it doesn't sound a lot like Fabia.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 12,206 Times in 5,240 Posts
    FIA's block on 2017 VW WRC car a 'punch in the face' for Mikkelsen

Andreas Mikkelsen says the FIA's decision not to let Volkswagen's 2017 car compete in the World Rally Championship is a "punch in the face" that leaves his season uncertain.

The plan to get the 2017 Polo R WRC out with a private team was Mikkelsen's best hope of a drive in a top-class machine this season following the factory VW programme's demise.

"I don't know what more I could have done to get a drive this year," Mikkelsen told Autosport.

"I was running second in the championship for virtually all of last year and I won the last rally.

"Basically everything that could have gone wrong went wrong and the latest decision [to bar the 2017 VW] was another punch in the face."

Mikkelsen had returned to the works Skoda team for the Monte Carlo Rally, where he dominated WRC2, and could still make further appearances in the R5 Fabia.

But he sees little point in competing in anything other than a 2017 car in the World Rally Car class.

"I need to be in a 2017 car," he said.

"I could find the budget to drive a 2016 car, but it would cost a lot and I would be fighting to finish eighth. It's not really worth it.

"To be honest, I'm a professional driver and I don't think I should have to pay to drive.

"I've done it before and I won't do it again.

"It would show the sport in a really negative way if I had to do this.

"I don't think I have anything to prove to anybody, it's not so long since Australia or Monte Carlo."

Mikkelsen's options for a 2017 seat are severely restricted, particularly without a large budget.

M-Sport's Ford Fiesta WRC is the only car on the market for private drivers this season.

He will still conduct recces for every rally this season and said at least watching from the sidelines gave him chance to assess 2018 options.

"I have chance to look at what everybody has got and we can make a picture about where is the best place to be in 2018 when I want to come back and fight for the world championship," said Mikkelsen.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report...ch-in-the-face
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

Liked 656 Times in 315 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EstWRC View Post
    FIA's block on 2017 VW WRC car a 'punch in the face' for Mikkelsen

Andreas Mikkelsen says the FIA's decision not to let Volkswagen's 2017 car compete in the World Rally Championship is a "punch in the face" that leaves his season uncertain.

The plan to get the 2017 Polo R WRC out with a private team was Mikkelsen's best hope of a drive in a top-class machine this season following the factory VW programme's demise.

"I don't know what more I could have done to get a drive this year," Mikkelsen told Autosport.

"I was running second in the championship for virtually all of last year and I won the last rally.

"Basically everything that could have gone wrong went wrong and the latest decision [to bar the 2017 VW] was another punch in the face."

Mikkelsen had returned to the works Skoda team for the Monte Carlo Rally, where he dominated WRC2, and could still make further appearances in the R5 Fabia.

But he sees little point in competing in anything other than a 2017 car in the World Rally Car class.

"I need to be in a 2017 car," he said.

"I could find the budget to drive a 2016 car, but it would cost a lot and I would be fighting to finish eighth. It's not really worth it.

"To be honest, I'm a professional driver and I don't think I should have to pay to drive.

"I've done it before and I won't do it again.

"It would show the sport in a really negative way if I had to do this.

"I don't think I have anything to prove to anybody, it's not so long since Australia or Monte Carlo."

Mikkelsen's options for a 2017 seat are severely restricted, particularly without a large budget.

M-Sport's Ford Fiesta WRC is the only car on the market for private drivers this season.

He will still conduct recces for every rally this season and said at least watching from the sidelines gave him chance to assess 2018 options.

"I have chance to look at what everybody has got and we can make a picture about where is the best place to be in 2018 when I want to come back and fight for the world championship," said Mikkelsen.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report...ch-in-the-face
    Surely if he has a sponsor / team to run the 2017 VW, then he can just transfer to the Ford, for example?

Why is driving the VW so important?

Seems a strange argument.

6. Likes: steve.mandzij (23rd February 2017)
    Liked 237 Times in 112 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rallyfiend View Post
    Surely if he has a sponsor / team to run the 2017 VW, then he can just transfer to the Ford, for example?

Why is driving the VW so important?

Seems a strange argument.
    maybe 'cos vw is available NOW to drive, so to say, sitting in a VW Motorsport somewhere... as for Ford - waiting list...

8. Likes: pantealex (21st February 2017)
    Liked 9,343 Times in 4,962 Posts
    As soon as Ogier went to M-Sport then the chances of any Polo drive was dead. AM should have immediately got on with sorting a Fiesta (with Ostberg and/or Prokop).

Liked 1,091 Times in 489 Posts
    I understand Mikkelsen point of view, but he seems like a prima donna from N.O.T's "favourite" sport, F1.
    Never stop dreaming because one day it might happen.

11. Likes: EstWRC (21st February 2017),itix (21st February 2017)
    Liked 12,206 Times in 5,240 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky View Post
    I understand Mikkelsen point of view, but he seems like a prima donna from N.O.T's "favourite" sport, F1.
    i wanted to write the same but i thought i would be the only one here.
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

Liked 2,241 Times in 1,199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    I know it's just a video from cell phone but it doesn't sound a lot like Fabia.
    Can't really tell from that video but could also be the evo2 Fabia?

Liked 11,150 Times in 4,426 Posts
    What is that?

But maybe it is really different engine. Portugal is held in May when some major modifications shall be available.
    Last edited by Mirek; 21st February 2017 at 14:36.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump