Page 229 of 263 FirstFirst ... 129179219227228229230231239 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,290 of 2630
    Liked 3,476 Times in 1,016 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    But he can only do rallies in Finland, GB and Latvia in Europe. Mexico, Argentina and Australia have a lower age for driving, that's why he's going to those events.
    Why? I know with an Estonian license for example you can drive wherever you want at the age of 17. Karl Kruuda has done JWRC and plenty of European rallies at the age of 17. Also PJM Cracco did WRC Portugal at the age of 17 and everything was fine. If you have a valid driver's license, and you have a valid competitor's license, you can drive.

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommeke_B View Post
    Why? I know with an Estonian license for example you can drive wherever you want at the age of 17. Karl Kruuda has done JWRC and plenty of European rallies at the age of 17. Also PJM Cracco did WRC Portugal at the age of 17 and everything was fine. If you have a valid driver's license, and you have a valid competitor's license, you can drive.
    with S1600 cars, yes. That would be going backwards for Kalle at this point.

3. Likes: electroliquid (2nd October 2017)
    Liked 479 Times in 161 Posts
    Neste Rally Finland for sure. Not sure if Latvia has anything to give for him anymore?
    We were privileged here in Latvia to see young star rising and we would like to see him to continue here. But I totally agree to AnttiL - Kalle has taken now from Latvia everything Latvia could give. It's time to move further - different rallies, different surfaces, different experience.

5. Likes: AnttiL (2nd October 2017),dimviii (2nd October 2017)
    Liked 945 Times in 513 Posts
    Special permissions from local FIA represenatives. The legal age for a full licence is still 18 in Estonia. You can make a "limited license" at the age of 16, but they are only valid in Estonia and with a co-passenger with real B-cat. license for atleast two years (and he or she has to be a parrent or authorized by one). There have been cases in the local championship, were a youngster had, but couldn`t compete with a 4wd N group car...maybe this became a rule later, because i remember him doing a couple of events. Anyway he spent another season or 2 in a 2wd.
    Last edited by Tarmop; 2nd October 2017 at 14:06.

Liked 668 Times in 285 Posts
    Kalle also still has his permit to drive in Italian championship so he might do couple more rounds in there also.

8. Likes: AnttiL (2nd October 2017)
    Liked 1,529 Times in 657 Posts
    Kalle's BRC season will probably be quite short. The two first events are at the same time as WRC rallies of Mexico and Argentina, which he will prefer. Then the third event is Ypres, where his driver's license is not valid for rallying(?). Then he can do Ulster, Isle of Man and of course Wales WRC rally.
    When they said Kalle would do the British Rally Championship it struck the fear of God into the BRC organisers... 'Oh no, some spectators might turn up, ruining our non-event rallies!'. Luckily they were able to configure the Championship calendar to ensure the BRC stays as an irrelevant private clubmans series...

10. Likes: Essaj (2nd October 2017)
    Liked 424 Times in 223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the sniper View Post
    When they said Kalle would do the British Rally Championship it struck the fear of God into the BRC organisers... 'Oh no, some spectators might turn up, ruining our non-event rallies!'. Luckily they were able to configure the Championship calendar to ensure the BRC stays as an irrelevant private clubmans series...
    Why would they do that? British Rally Championship was the most important national rally championship in the world, once upon a time. Won't the organizers try everything in their power to restore the championship to its former glory?

Liked 1,529 Times in 657 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by macebig View Post
    Why would they do that? British Rally Championship was the most important national rally championship in the world, once upon a time. Won't the organizers try everything in their power to restore the championship to its former glory?
    I've been losing faith in them since 2016 and this calendar situation is incomprehensible. Excluding Rally GB from both Championships, there are 5 rounds of the BRC, 12 rounds of the WRC... How the heck and for what reason have they managed to clash with the WRC for not one, but two rounds?!

I think it's more polite to assume that there's a MSA conspiracy to inhibit the popularity of the BRC so they can more easily implement the changes of the spectator safety review than acknowledge the probable reality, that the organisers of the BRC neither have the vision, resources or ability to allow the BRC to do anything but just about survive, rather than thrive...

Kalle Rovanpera coming to the BRC was like a free gift for the 'promoter', it looks like they've managed to squander that opportunity before we even get to 2018.

13. Likes: sonnybobiche (3rd October 2017)
    Liked 290 Times in 113 Posts
    The modern British character is particularly weak after decades under the yoke of health and safety experts running their lives for them. The MSA has no backbone to fight the forest commission or any other unelected bureaucrat who wants to get rid of rallying. It's managed decline, like everything else in Europe.

The MSA are just go-along get-along goo with no fight in them. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I won't be.

Liked 1,878 Times in 734 Posts
    But i guess 5 of 7 rounds will also count next year in BRC?
    "Die with memories, not with dreams" Scott McIsaac
    http://www.motorsportfilmer.net