Page 114 of 263 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114115116124164214 ... LastLast
Results 1,131 to 1,140 of 2630
    Liked 782 Times in 309 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lousada View Post
    I would say the skills of a rallydriver are things like coordination, balance, anticipation, risk-assement and intelligence. None of these things are captured in the word 'athlete'.
    You don't think athletes need coordination, balance and anticipation?

I agree that the word 'athlete' is very general and doesn't give you much detail though.

Liked 782 Times in 309 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by janvanvurpa View Post
    If rally drivers are "athletes" then, what to call runners who run 1500m or sprint 100m, hurdlers, polevaulters, Tour de France or Giro D'Italia bicycle racers...
    You can call them athletes too.

You seem to be missing the point that there are many different types of athlete - using that type of pedantry you would have to claim that the only people who deserve to be called athletes are those who compete in 'athletics'. So cyclists are out, as are swimmers and any other sportspeople outside the track+field events.

But then you haven't defined what level they have to compete at to be called athletes. I play an olympic sport at local club level and I used to compete in cross-country running up to regional level. Does that mean I'm an athlete?

3. Likes: AndyRAC (8th April 2017),BleAivano (8th April 2017),HenryEST (8th April 2017)
    Liked 352 Times in 208 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post

But then you haven't defined what level they have to compete at to be called athletes. I play an olympic sport at local club level and I used to compete in cross-country running up to regional level. Does that mean I'm an athlete?
    Yes.
    GG: "I'm stinky! I needa good shower and nice bowl of pasta!"

Liked 1,244 Times in 676 Posts
    In this era all drivers are athletes; they all seem to do training, be it running, cycling, weights, cross country ski-ing, etc In fact, I'd be concerned if a driver didn't do any kind of training. The fitter you are, the better your concentration and overall co-ordination.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 2,261 Times in 892 Posts
    I find it disappointing that you reduce the skill of a rallydriver to nothing more than physical agility, stamina and physical strength. I would say the skills of a rallydriver are things like coordination, balance, anticipation, risk-assement and intelligence. None of these things are captured in the word 'athlete'.
    Come on you're kind of putting words in my mouth there. You can be an athlete, and you can also have other characteristics like anticipation etc. I think that's obvious. It's possible to be more than one thing. Are you saying if an athlete is intelligent, then they aren't actually an athlete? But that's me putting words in your mouth now

I also think what we see here is what we already know - rally drivers are incredible human beings. They have a full package of skills - but I think it's wrong not to say they are athletes at the pro level.
    Last edited by Simmi; 8th April 2017 at 13:19.
    RS Motorsport Media - Follow me on Instagram: rsmotorsportmedia

Liked 1,064 Times in 465 Posts
    In many languages, like Dutch and French for example, the word for racing drivers is actually 'pilot'.
    I have to correct you a bit there. In the Dutch speaking parts of Belgium they can indeed refer to a driver as 'piloot' but in the Netherlands that's quite unusual. We call racing drivers 'autocoureurs' which ironically is quite French.
    SimRace Vereniging Nederland
    www.srvn.nl

Liked 558 Times in 295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC View Post
    In this era all drivers are athletes; they all seem to do training, be it running, cycling, weights, cross country ski-ing, etc In fact, I'd be concerned if a driver didn't do any kind of training. The fitter you are, the better your concentration and overall co-ordination.
    As I earlier suggested, sure they do physical training, but that's not to make bigger---or longer lasting muscles or increase lung capacity--since that is not needed.. I suggest its really for mental training..and building mental toughness mainly.

There are motorsports where strength, both maximum effort and endurance and rather enormous lung capacity is no questions that even good amateurs need it and can do nothing without it..and the guys that have that are of course athletes..
    And those guys don't have 4 wheels
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
    Assume that an amateur rally driver sleeps all year round in night temperatures of 25 Celsius, does a 6 minute mile in the high altitude of Iten, scores 110 on a Batak pro, does a 3 minute sitting balance on a bonzi ball. Would you call him/her an athlete?

Liked 317 Times in 182 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by janvanvurpa View Post
    As I earlier suggested, sure they do physical training, but that's not to make bigger---or longer lasting muscles or increase lung capacity--
    since that is not needed.. I suggest its really for mental training..and building mental toughness mainly.
    Being a WRC rally driver you don't need to have decathlonish muscles since that would require to much oxygen and nutrition. However as you say the drivers needs
    mental strength BUT also a physical fitness to be able to cope with the mental strength as well as external factors such as humidity, temperatures, shaking cars
    because of rough road surface, and etc. Mental strength/mental focus endurance also requires a good oxygen supply to your brain since a brain running on full
    throttle requires allot of oxygen which requires a good heart and lung capacity, as well as adequate nutrition.

If your heart and lungs aren't efficient then your body (including brain) will suffer because it won't be as good at taking up oxygen/removing co2 and biproducts.
    Last edited by BleAivano; 9th April 2017 at 12:34.
    ...Funny how ev'rything was roses when we held on to the guns...

11. Likes: A FONDO (9th April 2017)
    Liked 1,090 Times in 488 Posts
    I think we should just head to the pub and remove the word "athlete" from use because it's become as vague as the most common adjectives
    Never stop dreaming because one day it might happen.