Page 191 of 263 FirstFirst ... 91141181189190191192193201241 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,910 of 2630
    Liked 2,261 Times in 892 Posts
    Colin Clark speculating about Citroen, but more interesting views about the calendar.

https://www.facebook.com/voiceofrall...0934163402582/

Not really heard this argument much before but he's advocating (for now) a 'chequebook calendar' of sorts - where new rallies pay to be in the championship. But that extra funding allows WRC Promoter more funds to actually promote the sport (and turn a profit), like in F1.

Then he says Ciesla's long-term vision (2020 and beyond) is 16 rounds - 8 European rounds, 4 in the Americas, and 4 in Asia/Australasia. A true world championship.

So if they can grow the championship and somehow get the teams onboard with major global expansion then it kind of makes sense. Albeit you'll need to eventually cut 2-3 European rallies to make that all fit.
    RS Motorsport Media - Follow me on Instagram: rsmotorsportmedia

Liked 833 Times in 381 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
    Then he says Ciesla's long-term vision (2020 and beyond) is 16 rounds - 8 European rounds, 4 in the Americas, and 4 in Asia/Australasia. A true world championship.
    Ciesla always says this stuff. 16 events are too many, even the teams said that more than once. I agree that the World Championship should be less Euro-centric, but let's be honest, what are the alternatives? 4 rounds in Asia/Australasia is really the maximum I can think of: Australia, NZ, maybe Turkey if it's in the Asian part and maybe a round from APRC (Japan, Malaysia, Thailand?). 4 in the Americas sound too many: Argentina, Mexico (not a fan of it but alright) and then? North American rally scene is very poor. Another one in South America (Chile, Paraguay)? I'd rather have 2 in America and 1 in Africa, but we know the situations in Kenya and South Africa.
    1 or 2 European rounds can go but I'd rather have a quality Euro-centric WRC than rallies with a couple of entries in countries with 0 tradition. (the ones I've mentioned all have decent national championships and tradition, but I remember there were talks for the future about India, Korea...)

3. Likes: AndyRAC (9th August 2017),AnttiL (9th August 2017),JUF (10th August 2017)
    Liked 1,244 Times in 676 Posts
    16 rounds is surely unworkable? And it's not going to please the teams with regards to budgets. Cut your cloth accordingly....

I, like others would rather see 10-12 proper high quality events that show this sport in the best light. Rather than 16 identikit events, some of which are only in because of £$£$£$ - and some events don't get in.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

5. Likes: JUF (10th August 2017)
    Liked 3,786 Times in 1,977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
    Colin Clark speculating about Citroen

https://www.facebook.com/voiceofrall...0934163402582/
    1. So much Meeke fanboy stuff...... "Kris Meeke is a winner, proven by winning 3 times in last 16 months"++. Sure but you don't win championship with that reliability level, this year is very much repeat of his 2014, really unlikely he will suddenly get reliable (though look at Latvala). Also the comments about development and not a single word about Finland. Well I'll leave here....

2. "Loeb will be as fast as when he left." I can't see that. Sure he would be top 3 on Monte, Corsica, Germany, Spain (can use Sordo as reference)... but on gravel I don't think so. Furthermore I can't really see him doing all rounds with 18 hour days and 50+ deg in the car during stages. Bringing him for a few rounds per year for PR, feedback and some teampoints, sure good idea. Bringing him for full year not good PR for either Citroen or Loeb in the long run... that said the signals clearly are out that it's possible.

7. Likes: Essaj (9th August 2017)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    So much Meeke fanboy stuff......
    At least he admitted he's a huge Citroen, Meeke and Loeb fan.

I also agree about Loeb. I could see him do testing and maybe one off rallies, but not a whole season.

9. Likes: pantealex (10th August 2017)
    Liked 649 Times in 311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by focus206 View Post
    Ciesla always says this stuff. 16 events are too many, even the teams said that more than once. I agree that the World Championship should be less Euro-centric, but let's be honest, what are the alternatives? 4 rounds in Asia/Australasia is really the maximum I can think of: Australia, NZ, maybe Turkey if it's in the Asian part and maybe a round from APRC (Japan, Malaysia, Thailand?). 4 in the Americas sound too many: Argentina, Mexico (not a fan of it but alright) and then? North American rally scene is very poor. Another one in South America (Chile, Paraguay)? I'd rather have 2 in America and 1 in Africa, but we know the situations in Kenya and South Africa.
    1 or 2 European rounds can go but I'd rather have a quality Euro-centric WRC than rallies with a couple of entries in countries with 0 tradition. (the ones I've mentioned all have decent national championships and tradition, but I remember there were talks for the future about India, Korea...)
    Isn't Colin a paid employee / contractor of WRC Promoter through his work with Rally Radio?

None of this should be a surprise that he's a bit of a mouthpiece for their PR spin...

11. Likes: sonnybobiche (10th August 2017)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    http://www.ksml.fi/urheilu/mm-ralli/...495295b69f847e

Grönholm interview in Finnish. He says he does not believe Loeb would return to competition, because it's so tight nowadays. He also talks about testing the VW 2017 car last year and then he is asked how does it compare to the Yaris which he drove in the Rally Finland as a promotional run. He grins "I shouldn't compare them" and says "Toyota has a very good car. There was a lot of doubt in the beginning of the year but they've done a great job". I'm reading between the lines that he thinks the Polo would have been a lot better...

Liked 1,389 Times in 447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    http://www.ksml.fi/urheilu/mm-ralli/...495295b69f847e

Grönholm interview in Finnish. He says he does not believe Loeb would return to competition, because it's so tight nowadays. He also talks about testing the VW 2017 car last year and then he is asked how does it compare to the Yaris which he drove in the Rally Finland as a promotional run. He grins "I shouldn't compare them" and says "Toyota has a very good car. There was a lot of doubt in the beginning of the year but they've done a great job". I'm reading between the lines that he thinks the Polo would have been a lot better...
    Grönholm did VIP runs on city stage (about 10 kms totals) and short shakedown on tarmac (comparerable to parking lot), he really doesn't have the experience to compare those two cars at the moment.
    Photos: rallirinki.kuvat.fi | Twitter: @HartusvuoriWRC

14. Likes: AnttiL (10th August 2017),cali (10th August 2017),pantealex (10th August 2017),Rallyper (10th August 2017)
    Liked 3,786 Times in 1,977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartusvuori View Post
    Grönholm did VIP runs on city stage (about 10 kms totals) and short shakedown on tarmac (comparerable to parking lot), he really doesn't have the experience to compare those two cars at the moment.
    Surely he can have some impressions specially in terms of balance, low speed handling etc.

VW spend basically whole 2016 testing the 2017 Polo with no development and nearly no testing at all for the old car. Since they at that point still had the biggest budget + Gronholm, Ogier, Latvala and Mikkelsen doing the testing I don't think anyone can doubt the car would be at worst comparable with Ford/Hyundai in Monte.

Could have ended totally dominating like they did in 2014 though, so in a way it might be good they left. Too bad we couldn't get some privately run Polos for some rallies at least.

Liked 649 Times in 311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC View Post
    16 rounds is surely unworkable? And it's not going to please the teams with regards to budgets. Cut your cloth accordingly....

I, like others would rather see 10-12 proper high quality events that show this sport in the best light. Rather than 16 identikit events, some of which are only in because of £$£$£$ - and some events don't get in.
    But if the teams are getting paid for the events, isn't this the ultimate answer for expanding the calendar?