Page 63 of 263 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113163 ... LastLast
    Liked 47 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pantealex View Post
    Toyota offered Ogier "huge amount of money"
    Did he say YES ?
    Did they ? I think you know the figures then.
    Different situation, Ogier developped the Polo, he knew where he was going.
    Test drive with TGR was more a Mäkinen's tactic to measure the work done and ahead from Ogier's feedback, he already had his mind on Latvala.
    Markku Alén, 1978 World Champion

Liked 168 Times in 128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
    Are you really serious with this statement??
    No, I'm not. I have not insider sources, so my comments are based on what I read in the press, and what I read here.
    Let say Ogier liked the Toyota, but there was no place for Red Bull sticker on that car. It's just logical conclusion.

Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Neither the Fiesta, nor the Yaris: Ogier always believed the Polo would be the best option.
    According to Prokop’s words, Ogier intention was to drive the new Polo, run by Jipocar and supported by VW M. He went for other options only after Qatar failled to put the money on the project.
    Still, it's nice to see him winning in a MSport Ford.
    Last edited by Rally Power; 9th February 2017 at 12:44.
    Rally addict since 1982

4. Likes: Hartusvuori (10th February 2017)
    Manager
    Liked 73 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Karukera View Post
    Test drive with TGR was more a Mäkinen's tactic to measure the work done and ahead from Ogier's feedback, he already had his mind on Latvala.
    You might be on something, I got the feeling after this test drive that there was something not right in it.
    There are two rules for success
    1. Never tell everything you know.

Liked 168 Times in 128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintexmemory View Post
    How serious are you about following rallying? Other than the professional pride of being a 'paid' driver, the top guys in WRC rallying are very much in it for the buzz and the glory - the rewards are secondary. Ogier wouldn't drive anything he didn't feel would be competitive, no matter how much cash was dangled as a carrot. Similarly, Citroen would never have enough cash to tempt him to return as long as Matton is boss. Ogier is set for life already but he does have a small matter of beating records that appears to be all the motivation he needs.
    Obviously what you are suggesting, is that Ogier choose Ford as more competitive car over Toyota. Ok, let see how it turns out.

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jparker View Post
    Let say Ogier liked the Toyota, but there was no place for Red Bull sticker on that car. It's just logical conclusion.
    It's a possibility but I think unlikely. They pretty much only have Microsoft and even that isn't exactly prominent on the car, so I don't think that Toyota would turn down Red Bull money other than if it was causing issues with the second car.

Also if Toyota was a serious option then Ogier could happily have Red Bull all over his helmet (no innuendo intended ) and still earn a decent wedge. On that basis I think that he made the M-Sport decision based on him thinking it was the best chance of success (as Mintexmemory says, drivers don't opt for a a car they feel is inferior just because the salary is better). That's not to say that he hasn't made a mistake (time will tell), but if the Yaris turns out to be competitive it won't automatically mean that Ogier chose Ford on the basis of money.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 86 Times in 23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jparker View Post
    No, I'm not. I have not insider sources, so my comments are based on what I read in the press, and what I read here.
    If Ogier liked Toyota and was offered decent amount of money why wouldn't he dump Red Bull?

I think it all came down to the fact that Toyota at that time wasn't as developed as was Fiesta and Ogier had better relationship with Malcolm. While Toyota team was a bit unfamiliar territory and full of Finns Of course I can be wrong, it's just my speculation.

9. Likes: pantealex (10th February 2017),Sulland (9th February 2017)
    Liked 27 Times in 21 Posts
    actually 2 with fiesta

Liked 9,358 Times in 4,972 Posts
    Ford WRC return:
    "it's not going to happen this year, they are fully committed to their GT program" Malcolm Wilson https://t.co/KoyMIDHB1O https://t.co/eoGUgQ4gSr

Liked 23 Times in 8 Posts
    Has it ever been confirmed if Toyota did or didn't offer Mikkelsen a drive?

Could it be that he turned them down due to "unfamiliar territory"?